Re: ASSL '81 Draft: Valdosta up/Spokane/Mt.Lebanon

mlassman2001

Even more strange is that Shelby batted fifth.  Dodgers were pretty fortunate.  Shelby had a single in the game, but didn't score.

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Battiato via groups.io <Dodger300@...>
To: ASSL@groups.io <ASSL@groups.io>
Sent: Tue, Jul 7, 2020 10:42 am
Subject: Re: [ASSL] ASSL '81 Draft: Valdosta up/Spokane/Mt.Lebanon

Nope, it was Mike Davis on base.

I always wondered why Lasorda decided to pinch hit Davis, who had a terrible year (.190/.260/.270), with two out in the ninth. I guess it was all a part of his genius.

"Eckersley quickly got Scioscia to pop out to shortstop and struck out Jeff Hamilton. Left-handed pinch hitter Mike Davis followed; if he got on base the next batter due was the pitcher's spot, which would certainly be filled with a pinch hitter. Not wanting the A's to realize that Gibson was available, Lasorda sent Dave Anderson to the on-deck circle during Davis' plate appearance.[6] According to Lasorda, A's catcher Ron Hassey got Eckersley's attention and pointed at Anderson on-deck.[7]

The popular story is that Eckersley pitched around Davis because the A's thought that the light-hitting Anderson was the next batter. Hassey vehemently denied that the A's pitched carefully to Davis because Anderson was on deck: "Why would we pitch around Davis when we have two outs? You don't pitch around a guy with two outs to face another hitter. That would never make sense. You have your closer out there. That's just not true. That's a good story. As far as I know, Gibson is on the roster. Is he not? You're not going to waste a guy that can't play. He's active." Eckersley decided to pitch around Davis because he had seen him hit 20 home runs for the A's before the All-Star break the previous year. Instead of risking making a mistake that Davis could hit for a game-tying home run, Eckersley pitched carefully and did in fact walk him."