Topics

LOTW and satellites

andrew hopkins

I'm having a issue with how the qso's are being logged.  I use tqsl for my satellite contacts and all other I upload using QRZ.  Now I fill in all the boxes correctly and submit it and I have had a few confirmed.  The others I have to log it the way they do.  So I end up submitting the same qso 2 or 3 times so it will match.  Some stations are not filling in the blanks correctly so you have to keep submitting the qso over and over again.  When it finally confirms it doesn't show up in any vucc or any other account.  Can this be fixed or any suggestions on how to fix it?

Matthew Chambers NR0Q

I have this problem too, do they log the uplink or the downlink frequency/band? along with a number of other variables
Matthew Chambers, CBT, NR0Q
Owner/Engineer
M Chambers Communications Engineering LLC
PO BOX 311, Atlanta, MO 63530
Office (660)239-4911 Mobile (660)415-5620

On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 12:13 AM andrew hopkins <Drewtex75@...> wrote:
I'm having a issue with how the qso's are being logged.  I use tqsl for my satellite contacts and all other I upload using QRZ.  Now I fill in all the boxes correctly and submit it and I have had a few confirmed.  The others I have to log it the way they do.  So I end up submitting the same qso 2 or 3 times so it will match.  Some stations are not filling in the blanks correctly so you have to keep submitting the qso over and over again.  When it finally confirms it doesn't show up in any vucc or any other account.  Can this be fixed or any suggestions on how to fix it?

Dave AA6YQ

Start by reviewing

<https://lotw.arrl.org/lotw-help/satellite-qsos>

Referring to

<https://lotw.arrl.org/lotw-help/developer-submit-qsos>

Use the BAND field to specify the transmit band; use the BAND_RX field to specify the receive band.

73,

Dave, AA6YQ

www.mchambersradio.com

On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 12:13 AM andrew hopkins <Drewtex75@...> wrote:
I'm having a issue with how the qso's are being logged. I use tqsl for my satellite contacts and all other I upload using QRZ. Now I fill in all the boxes correctly and submit it and I have had a few confirmed. The others I have to log it the way they do. So I end up submitting the same qso 2 or 3 times so it will match. Some stations are not filling in the blanks correctly so you have to keep submitting the qso over and over again. When it finally confirms it doesn't show up in any vucc or any other account. Can this be fixed or any suggestions on how to fix it?

andrew hopkins

So out of the 3 different qso's I submit for the same contact lotw will confirm one and then it doesn't put it toward any of the accounts.  For example I have a satellite qso from Idaho and I needed that grid square for the vucc award and the state for was award.  It says it's confirmed but it doesn't count for anything.  I have several of these qso's that are sitting there and not being applied.

On Thu, May 30, 2019, 12:40 AM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
[...]

Douglas Haney

For the VUCC program you must have a rule to match any QSO included in that account.  If the QSO does not match any rules for any VUCC account it is not included.

73,
Doug

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

For the VUCC program you must have a rule to match any QSO included in that account. If the QSO does not match any rules for any VUCC account it is not included.

+ Also, if your QSO partner did not specify a grid square in the "Station Location" he or she used to submit your QSO to LoTW, the QSO -- though confirmed -- will not be valid for VUCC until you persuade your QSO partner to resubmit your QSO with a "Station Location" that specifies a grid square.

+ A QSL card lacking a grid square would be treated in the exact same manner -- a valid confirmation for DXCC, but not for VUCC.

+ See

<https://lotw.arrl.org/lotw-help/qso-states/>

73,

Dave, AA6YQ

n0dpr@...

I love the concept of lotw, however I do wish there was a way to make corrections with a method that does not cause one to just say it isn’t worth it. I have contacted three people by email and questioned them and they told me it was such a haste because of an error they made with their entertainment they said they just abandoned confirming the contact. They did agree to QSL if I sent a stamped self addressed envelope. Not being critical, just passing info.
Brad

 NØDPR

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2019-05-30 1:15 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:

+ A QSL card lacking a grid square would be treated in the exact
same manner -- a valid confirmation for DXCC, but not for VUCC.
Per the VUCC Rule 7(b):
<www.arrl.org/files/file/DXCC/VHF%20UHF%20Rules20141pdf.pdf>

For the convenience of the Awards Manager in checking cards, applicants may indicate in pencil (pencil ONLY) the grid locator on the address side of the cards that DO NOT clearly indicate the grid locator. The applicant affirms that he/she has accurately determined the proper location from the address information given on the card by
signing the affirmation statement on the application.
In other words, if the card lacks a grid the recipient can supply that
information!

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2019-05-30 1:15 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below
For the VUCC program you must have a rule to match any QSO included in that account. If the QSO does not match any rules for any VUCC account it is not included.
+ Also, if your QSO partner did not specify a grid square in the "Station Location" he or she used to submit your QSO to LoTW, the QSO -- though confirmed -- will not be valid for VUCC until you persuade your QSO partner to resubmit your QSO with a "Station Location" that specifies a grid square.
+ A QSL card lacking a grid square would be treated in the exact same manner -- a valid confirmation for DXCC, but not for VUCC.
+ See
<https://lotw.arrl.org/lotw-help/qso-states/>
73,
Dave, AA6YQ

ik4dry@...

It's been a while since I pointed out the same problem to Bill Moore and I
also gave the solution to the problem, that is to avoid that someone could
register to ARRL & LoTW and omit any of the requested items because it could be
successful, in this way all the information useful as WWLocator Counties
etc .. will be acquired, simple do not you think? ... But the real problem
is to fix the old data in the archive ... who is available to work and do
night shifts too?

IK4DRY Steve

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave AA6YQ" <@AA6YQ>
For the VUCC program you must have a rule to match any QSO included in that account. If the QSO does not match any rules for any VUCC account it is not included.

+ Also, if your QSO partner did not specify a grid square in the "Station Location" he or she used to submit your QSO to LoTW, the QSO -- though confirmed -- will not be valid for VUCC until you persuade your QSO partner to resubmit your QSO with a "Station Location" that specifies a grid square.

+ A QSL card lacking a grid square would be treated in the exact same manner -- a valid confirmation for DXCC, but not for VUCC.

+ See

<https://lotw.arrl.org/lotw-help/qso-states/>

73,

Dave, AA6YQ

Larry Banks

It’s very easy to correct a call in your logger and just upload it again, or fix your location info and upload a bunch of Qs.  I hate to say it, but these hams are just being lazy.

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

I love the concept of lotw, however I do wish there was a way to make corrections with a method that does not cause one to just say it isn’t worth it. I have contacted three people by email and questioned them and they told me it was such a haste because of an error they made with their entertainment they said they just abandoned confirming the contact. They did agree to QSL if I sent a stamped self addressed envelope. Not being critical, just passing info.
Brad

NØDPR

Don Rhodes - KB2YSI

Andrew, you say they are confirmed in the QSO list, what do the details for that confirmed contact say? Do they match the rules you have setup in your VUCC & WAS awards accounts?

On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 1:13 AM andrew hopkins <Drewtex75@...> wrote:
I'm having a issue with how the qso's are being logged.  I use tqsl for my satellite contacts and all other I upload using QRZ.  Now I fill in all the boxes correctly and submit it and I have had a few confirmed.  The others I have to log it the way they do.  So I end up submitting the same qso 2 or 3 times so it will match.  Some stations are not filling in the blanks correctly so you have to keep submitting the qso over and over again.  When it finally confirms it doesn't show up in any vucc or any other account.  Can this be fixed or any suggestions on how to fix it?

andrew hopkins

As far as I know they match with the rules.  From here on out I will log it correctly on my end and if the other station logs it wrong then so be it.  There is no reason why it can't be logged correctly if tqsl is used. It's very simple.

--

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

On 2019-05-30 1:15 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:

+ A QSL card lacking a grid square would be treated in the exact
same manner -- a valid confirmation for DXCC, but not for VUCC.
Per the VUCC Rule 7(b):
<www.arrl.org/files/file/DXCC/VHF%20UHF%20Rules20141pdf.pdf>

For the convenience of the Awards Manager in checking cards,
applicants may indicate in pencil (pencil ONLY) the grid locator on
the address side of the cards that DO NOT clearly indicate the grid
locator. The applicant affirms that he/she has accurately determined
the proper location from the address information given on the card by
signing the affirmation statement on the application.
In other words, if the card lacks a grid the recipient can supply that
information!

+ What that rule says is that the recipient can propose a grid square based on the address printed on the QSL card. If the QSL card doesn't specify an address, or specifies an address that does not lie entirely within a grid square, then the card would likely not qualify for VUCC credit.

73,

Dave, AA6YQ

Norm Fusaro

Andrew,
nobody can really answer your question without some basic information.
Please email me direct and include your call sign, the call sign of your QSO partner, and the QSO information or record number of the contact so I can look into your account and see what the issue might be.
Norm Fusaro, W3IZ
w3iz@...

Don Rhodes - KB2YSI

I have logged incorrectly on many occasions, human & error go together. I fix the errors and re-upload, not a big problem.

Not matching rules is a different issue and looks like Norm has offered to help on that front.