Topics

How long dooes it take to see confirmed QSO's ?

Robert Harmon

New LOTW user here.   Been slowly entering data from all my manual logs to RumLog and today did my first load to LOTW.  Loaded
8 QSO's to see how it went.  It's been 30 mnutes and no confirmations yet hihihihi
I will continue plugging along, be happy when I finally get them all loaded.    How long has it taken you to see confirmations from LOTW ?

thanks
Bob
K6UJ

Dennis Moore

How old are the contacts? If recent, the other user may not have uploaded their log yet. If they had uploaded already, your contacts would show confirmed generally within a couple of minutes of you uploading your log, unless there is a lot of traffic ahead of yours. Entirely possible with the contest that just ran this weekend.

You can do a log check on those 8 calls. Use the Find Call tab, enter a callsign, and see the last time that call uploaded a log. Compare that to the dates in your log.

73, Dennis NJ6G

On 5/28/2019 13:56, Robert Harmon wrote:
New LOTW user here.   Been slowly entering data from all my manual logs to RumLog and today did my first load to LOTW.  Loaded
8 QSO's to see how it went.  It's been 30 mnutes and no confirmations yet hihihihi
I will continue plugging along, be happy when I finally get them all loaded.    How long has it taken you to see confirmations from LOTW ?

thanks
Bob
K6UJ

Robert Harmon

One of the contacts is for Z66X, Kosova which I worked in the CQ WPX this last weekend.   It is an ATNO so hopefully it wil be confirmed.  I still enjoy getting QSL cards so I sent my card to Martti Lane, OH2BH,  who I think was operating and is the QSL manager.
Thanks for the info Dennis !

73,
Bob
K6UJ

Anthony Luscre

I don't think Z66X has upload to LOTW yet

--
Anthony Luscre

K8ZT
Ohio Section Section Youth Coordinator & Education Outreach
ARRL - The National Association For Amateur Radio™

a@... (best for Education & Technology)
k8zt@... (best for Amateur Radio)

The Web Resource Hoarder- www.ZTLearn.com
Web Resource Hoarder Blog

K8ZT Radio Website- www.k8zt.com
My Radio Blog- k8zt.blogspot.com

Tim Shoppa

I am attaching a set of  "LOTW confirmation date by mode" curves based on my N3QE activity from 2008-2018, largely dominated by contests. Also viewable online here: http://n3qe.org/lotw.svg

Around 3 days after the QSO, about 25% of my CW and SSB contacts are confirmed in LOTW. A half year later, about 50% of the CW and SSB contacts are confirmed in LOTW. The curve for RTTY shows more prompt and complete LOTW usage, and for FT8 even more fast and complete.

Now my curves are based on nearly a quarter million QSO's and you only have 8 QSO's. I would not expect that with just 8 QSO's that you can draw any smooth curves as to how many QSL's you should have by what date.

HOWEVER note that Z66X, a call you specifically mention later in the thread, is an operation by OH2BH and that OH2BH does not use LOTW. He does do paper cards (direct and buro). There will likely be other Z6 operations this year that use LOTW. Handy resources to check whether a planned operation will do LOTW, include checking their qrz.com page, as well as checking  https://ng3k.com/misc/adxo.html

For historical operations, a very good resource as to whether the other guy uses LOTW, is to log onto LOTW, click on "Find Call", and see if he has been doing uploads.

image.png

Tim N3QE

On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 4:56 PM Robert Harmon <k6uj@...> wrote:
New LOTW user here.   Been slowly entering data from all my manual logs to RumLog and today did my first load to LOTW.  Loaded
8 QSO's to see how it went.  It's been 30 mnutes and no confirmations yet hihihihi
I will continue plugging along, be happy when I finally get them all loaded.    How long has it taken you to see confirmations from LOTW ?

thanks
Bob
K6UJ

K8BL BOB LIDDY

Tim,

That's an amazing/interesting chart on LoTW confirmations, TNX!

"Find Call"has been very helpful over the years (and sometimes disappointing)
to see when/if a station has uploaded to the system.

The FT8 users must be quicker since WSJT-X keeps a Log automatically in
ADIF and it is just sitting there begging to be uploaded - HIHI.

Z66X was a new one on CW for me this weekend in WPX and I was bummed
to see that LoTW was marked "No" in QRZ. I guess I'll have to go old-school
for that one.

TNX/73,    Bob  K8BL

On Tuesday, May 28, 2019, 9:17:28 PM EDT, Tim Shoppa <tshoppa@...> wrote:

[...]

K8TS

Bob, as a new user, you will soon find that Sunday night thru Tuesdays are perhaps the worst time to upload and see confirmations.  Most all major contests end sometime on Sunday, and many log requirements now require logs to be submitted within 5-7 days (to the sponsor).  A lot of stations will upload to LoTW just after the contest, and durning the following days.  Not all contesters use LoTW, but of those that do, we are talking log uploads in the hundreds, and also single log can contain as high as 1,000 or more QSOs.  LoTW handles most of these uploads with ease, but it does slow the system down a little.  I have found that if I upload on Thursdays and Fridays I get a much quicker confirmation rate.

Expeditions often upload at least 6 months afterwards (with some exceptions for stations who have donated to the expenses), and those logs can contain well over 10,000 qso.

I have seen confirmations come as quickly as 5 minutes after the q.  This past week I got one from 2014.

Dale K8TS

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Richard Dickerson

It usually takes me five minutes or less to up load 300 QSOs using a Mac laptop. That’s typically my weeks upload.

Richard WF2F

On May 28, 2019, at 3:56 PM, Robert Harmon <k6uj@...> wrote:

New LOTW user here.   Been slowly entering data from all my manual logs to RumLog and today did my first load to LOTW.  Loaded
8 QSO's to see how it went.  It's been 30 mnutes and no confirmations yet hihihihi
I will continue plugging along, be happy when I finally get them all loaded.    How long has it taken you to see confirmations from LOTW ?

thanks
Bob
K6UJ

Richard Dickerson

I’m averaging 85% confirmation some immediately rest over several weeks

On May 28, 2019, at 4:10 PM, Dennis Moore <dennis@...> wrote:

[...]

Joe Fischer

My confirmation rate is around 50%; I’m all CW.  Digital ops seem to confirm at the highest rate.  When you enter your QSOs, make sure that QSO time conversions to UTC are correct.  Here on the east coast for example, a contact at 8:30 p.m. on Monday is, as far as LoTW is concerned, 00:30 Tuesday.

If the op at the other end of the QSO has already entered her/his entry, LoTW confirmation will be within seconds.

TU es 73 de Joe AA8TA

New LOTW user here.   Been slowly entering data from all my manual logs to RumLog and today did my first load to LOTW.  Loaded
8 QSO's to see how it went.  It's been 30 mnutes and no confirmations yet hihihihi
I will continue plugging along, be happy when I finally get them all loaded.    How long has it taken you to see confirmations from LOTW ?

thanks
Bob
K6UJ

--