Date   
Re: Some Error all of a Sudden

Bill
 

Using Firefox ver. 62.0.3

Bill
K2WH

Re: Some Error all of a Sudden

Frank T Brady
 

Bill
I started getting the same error today when trying to download latest lotw qsls.
This code has been working for years and I have not made any changes.
The URL works in a browser but not in my VB.NET Logger Application.
I'm running on windows 10.
73, Frank W0ECS


On 10/15/2018 11:35 AM, Bill wrote:
In trying to download from LOTW, I get this error message.

I rebooted the computer and get the same thing.  First time I have seen this.

The error says: The request was aborted.  Could not create SSL/TLS secure channel.

Bill
K2WH


Re: Some Error all of a Sudden

Bill
 

Checking my SSL/TLS says everything looks good.

https://www.howsmyssl.com/

Bill
K2WH

Re: Some Error all of a Sudden

Bill
 

I can log onto LOTW directly, can "Upload" new contacts, but cannot "Download" to my logging program, Logic9 from ARRL.

Bill
K2WH

Re: Some Error all of a Sudden

David Kaplan
 

Could this have anything to do with these problems?

On Oct 15, 2018, at 12:10 PM, Bill <k2wh@...> wrote:

I can log onto LOTW directly, can "Upload" new contacts, but cannot "Download" to my logging program, Logic9 from ARRL.

Bill
K2WH


Re: Some Error all of a Sudden

Rick Murphy
 

I'd report this to the Logic9 support - they're likely using an out-of-date library for their downloads. 
See the link posted by Joe earlier - it's the same problem as Windows XP.
73,
    -Rick

On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 12:10 PM Bill <k2wh@...> wrote:

I can log onto LOTW directly, can "Upload" new contacts, but cannot "Download" to my logging program, Logic9 from ARRL.

Bill
K2WH



--
Rick Murphy, CISSP-ISSAP, K1MU/4, Annandale VA USA

Re: Some Error all of a Sudden

Rick Murphy
 

As in the other thread - your VB.net control is probably out of date.
73,
    -Rick

On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 12:04 PM Frank T Brady <franktbrady@...> wrote:
Bill
I started getting the same error today when trying to download latest lotw qsls.
This code has been working for years and I have not made any changes.
The URL works in a browser but not in my VB.NET Logger Application.
I'm running on windows 10.
73, Frank W0ECS


On 10/15/2018 11:35 AM, Bill wrote:
In trying to download from LOTW, I get this error message.

I rebooted the computer and get the same thing.  First time I have seen this.

The error says: The request was aborted.  Could not create SSL/TLS secure channel.

Bill
K2WH




--
Rick Murphy, CISSP-ISSAP, K1MU/4, Annandale VA USA

Re: Some Error all of a Sudden

Frank T Brady
 

Rick
Are you saying that VB.NET software must be updated in order to remain compatible with the Oct 1th security changes made by ARRL?
That doesn't make any sense (to me).
Frank


On 10/15/2018 12:21 PM, Rick Murphy wrote:
As in the other thread - your VB.net control is probably out of date.
73,
    -Rick

On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 12:04 PM Frank T Brady <franktbrady@...> wrote:
Bill
I started getting the same error today when trying to download latest lotw qsls.
This code has been working for years and I have not made any changes.
The URL works in a browser but not in my VB.NET Logger Application.
I'm running on windows 10.
73, Frank W0ECS


On 10/15/2018 11:35 AM, Bill wrote:
In trying to download from LOTW, I get this error message.

I rebooted the computer and get the same thing.  First time I have seen this.

The error says: The request was aborted.  Could not create SSL/TLS secure channel.

Bill
K2WH




--
Rick Murphy, CISSP-ISSAP, K1MU/4, Annandale VA USA


Re: Some Error all of a Sudden

Rick Murphy
 

If you're using a old VB.net control that doesn't support current encryption standards, yes, it's likely to need updating.
The fact that you can't establish a secure connection now that ARRL has enabled SHA-256 means you'll need an update.

For example, .NET 3.5 doesn't have support, but 3.5 SP1 does:
73,
    -Rick


On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 12:28 PM Frank T Brady <franktbrady@...> wrote:
Rick
Are you saying that VB.NET software must be updated in order to remain compatible with the Oct 1th security changes made by ARRL?
That doesn't make any sense (to me).
Frank


On 10/15/2018 12:21 PM, Rick Murphy wrote:
As in the other thread - your VB.net control is probably out of date.
73,
    -Rick

On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 12:04 PM Frank T Brady <franktbrady@...> wrote:
Bill
I started getting the same error today when trying to download latest lotw qsls.
This code has been working for years and I have not made any changes.
The URL works in a browser but not in my VB.NET Logger Application.
I'm running on windows 10.
73, Frank W0ECS


On 10/15/2018 11:35 AM, Bill wrote:
In trying to download from LOTW, I get this error message.

I rebooted the computer and get the same thing.  First time I have seen this.

The error says: The request was aborted.  Could not create SSL/TLS secure channel.

Bill
K2WH




--
Rick Murphy, CISSP-ISSAP, K1MU/4, Annandale VA USA




--
Rick Murphy, CISSP-ISSAP, K1MU/4, Annandale VA USA

Re: Some Error all of a Sudden

Frank T Brady
 

Well, Rick - that sounds like a very user-unfriendly policy for ARRL to make a change that requires everyone to get updated software.
User friendly implementation would be to accommodate existing user software interface methods - not force everyone to change or fail.
73, Frank W0ECS

On 10/15/2018 12:35 PM, Rick Murphy wrote:
If you're using a old VB.net control that doesn't support current encryption standards, yes, it's likely to need updating.
The fact that you can't establish a secure connection now that ARRL has enabled SHA-256 means you'll need an update.

For example, .NET 3.5 doesn't have support, but 3.5 SP1 does:
73,
    -Rick


On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 12:28 PM Frank T Brady <franktbrady@...> wrote:
Rick
Are you saying that VB.NET software must be updated in order to remain compatible with the Oct 1th security changes made by ARRL?
That doesn't make any sense (to me).
Frank


On 10/15/2018 12:21 PM, Rick Murphy wrote:
As in the other thread - your VB.net control is probably out of date.
73,
    -Rick

On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 12:04 PM Frank T Brady <franktbrady@...> wrote:
Bill
I started getting the same error today when trying to download latest lotw qsls.
This code has been working for years and I have not made any changes.
The URL works in a browser but not in my VB.NET Logger Application.
I'm running on windows 10.
73, Frank W0ECS


On 10/15/2018 11:35 AM, Bill wrote:
In trying to download from LOTW, I get this error message.

I rebooted the computer and get the same thing.  First time I have seen this.

The error says: The request was aborted.  Could not create SSL/TLS secure channel.

Bill
K2WH




--
Rick Murphy, CISSP-ISSAP, K1MU/4, Annandale VA USA




--
Rick Murphy, CISSP-ISSAP, K1MU/4, Annandale VA USA


Re: Some Error all of a Sudden

Bill
 

Can I update VB.NET or does my software distributor need to do that ?

Bill
K2WH

Re: Some Error all of a Sudden

Bill
 

Sounds like I'm dead in the water.

Great after busting my buns this year trying for 5BWAS, I now have to confirm the old fashioned way with a physical card ?

I agree doesn't sound very user friendly.

Bill

K2WH

Re: Some Error all of a Sudden

Bill
 

I have notified my vendor about this issue.

Hopefully it is an easy fix.

Bill
K2WH

Re: Some Error all of a Sudden

Charles Gallo
 

On Mon, October 15, 2018 12:51 pm, Frank T Brady wrote:
Well, Rick - that sounds like a very user-unfriendly policy for ARRL to
make a change that requires everyone to get updated software. User friendly
implementation would be to accommodate existing user software interface
methods - not force everyone to change or fail. 73, Frank W0ECS
So you mean that you'd prefer that the ARRL should leave a security
vulnerability open for more than a DECADE after the patch has been put out
there? Maybe you vendor should have updated your software in that time?
(Framework 3.5 sp1 came out in August 2008)

Re: Some Error all of a Sudden

W0MU
 

Wow.

Instead of attempting to fix the problem you fly off deep end and now the only solution is going back to paper cards? 

Your entries are all still very safe in the LOTW database.  

Have you rebooted your computer?  Made sure that do not have any outstanding updates from Microsoft?  Have you updated your logging program recently?

Are you subscribed to the logic9 support group?  Are others having the same issue?

W0MU



On 10/15/2018 11:03 AM, Bill wrote:
I have notified my vendor about this issue.

Hopefully it is an easy fix.

Bill
K2WH

Re: Some Error all of a Sudden

W0MU
 

How dare the ARRL!

On 10/15/2018 11:08 AM, Charles Gallo wrote:
On Mon, October 15, 2018 12:51 pm, Frank T Brady wrote:
Well, Rick - that sounds like a very user-unfriendly policy for ARRL to
make a change that requires everyone to get updated software. User friendly
implementation would be to accommodate existing user software interface
methods - not force everyone to change or fail. 73, Frank W0ECS
So you mean that you'd prefer that the ARRL should leave a security
vulnerability open for more than a DECADE after the patch has been put out
there? Maybe you vendor should have updated your software in that time?
(Framework 3.5 sp1 came out in August 2008)



Re: Some Error all of a Sudden

Frank T Brady
 

What I mean is that I don't believe that the security vulnerability had anything to do with a web query for a qsl download and a little effort could have solved the real problem without causing all this disruption.
Frank W0ECS

On 10/15/2018 1:08 PM, Charles Gallo wrote:
On Mon, October 15, 2018 12:51 pm, Frank T Brady wrote:
Well, Rick - that sounds like a very user-unfriendly policy for ARRL to
make a change that requires everyone to get updated software. User friendly
implementation would be to accommodate existing user software interface
methods - not force everyone to change or fail. 73, Frank W0ECS
So you mean that you'd prefer that the ARRL should leave a security
vulnerability open for more than a DECADE after the patch has been put out
there? Maybe you vendor should have updated your software in that time?
(Framework 3.5 sp1 came out in August 2008)




Re: Some Error all of a Sudden

Rick Murphy
 

Frank,
Read http://www.arrl.org/news/arrl-updating-its-website-security-software - the reason for this is to meet financial industry standards.
Apparently it's not SHA-256, it's actually disabling TLS 1.0, which makes a bit more sense to me now that I've re-read the article.

There's some possible configuration changes you can make to force TLS 1.1 or later:

73,
    -Rick


On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 12:51 PM Frank T Brady <franktbrady@...> wrote:
Well, Rick - that sounds like a very user-unfriendly policy for ARRL to make a change that requires everyone to get updated software.
User friendly implementation would be to accommodate existing user software interface methods - not force everyone to change or fail.
73, Frank W0ECS

On 10/15/2018 12:35 PM, Rick Murphy wrote:
If you're using a old VB.net control that doesn't support current encryption standards, yes, it's likely to need updating.
The fact that you can't establish a secure connection now that ARRL has enabled SHA-256 means you'll need an update.

For example, .NET 3.5 doesn't have support, but 3.5 SP1 does:
73,
    -Rick


On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 12:28 PM Frank T Brady <franktbrady@...> wrote:
Rick
Are you saying that VB.NET software must be updated in order to remain compatible with the Oct 1th security changes made by ARRL?
That doesn't make any sense (to me).
Frank


On 10/15/2018 12:21 PM, Rick Murphy wrote:
As in the other thread - your VB.net control is probably out of date.
73,
    -Rick

On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 12:04 PM Frank T Brady <franktbrady@...> wrote:
Bill
I started getting the same error today when trying to download latest lotw qsls.
This code has been working for years and I have not made any changes.
The URL works in a browser but not in my VB.NET Logger Application.
I'm running on windows 10.
73, Frank W0ECS


On 10/15/2018 11:35 AM, Bill wrote:
In trying to download from LOTW, I get this error message.

I rebooted the computer and get the same thing.  First time I have seen this.

The error says: The request was aborted.  Could not create SSL/TLS secure channel.

Bill
K2WH




--
Rick Murphy, CISSP-ISSAP, K1MU/4, Annandale VA USA




--
Rick Murphy, CISSP-ISSAP, K1MU/4, Annandale VA USA




--
Rick Murphy, CISSP-ISSAP, K1MU/4, Annandale VA USA

Re: Some Error all of a Sudden

Bill Mader
 

Security holes are like advertising for IT folks. They provide income streams
that never end. Users complain about updates and again, after not doing them, when the security holes allow infections. I do not miss those days!

73, Bill, K8TE
Sent from My Secret Decoder Ring (please excuse typos)


On Mon, Oct 15, 2018, 13:15 W0MU <w0mu@...> wrote:
How dare the ARRL!


On 10/15/2018 11:08 AM, Charles Gallo wrote:
> On Mon, October 15, 2018 12:51 pm, Frank T Brady wrote:
>> Well, Rick - that sounds like a very user-unfriendly policy for ARRL to
>> make a change that requires everyone to get updated software. User friendly
>> implementation would be to accommodate existing user software interface
>> methods - not force everyone to change or fail. 73, Frank W0ECS
>>
> So you mean that you'd prefer that the ARRL should leave a security
> vulnerability open for more than a DECADE after the patch has been put out
> there?  Maybe you vendor should have updated your software in that time?
> (Framework 3.5 sp1 came out in August 2008)
>
>
>
>
>




Re: Some Error all of a Sudden

Bill
 

I don't use Microsoft IE, I have Firefox and win7 is no longer supported.

I understand my entries into LOTW are safe and what I have done to work around the issue is to log onto ARRL LOTW site and searching manually for calls and updating my Logic9 log, tedious.

Logging program is up to date.

Rebooted twice.

Since this LOTW change went into effect today, I may be the first to raise the red flag on this issue.

K2WH

Look, I'm not a computer guru, know very little about how it is supposed to work, just looking for help instead of confrontations !



K2WH