From: ARRL-LoTW@groups.io <ARRL-LoTW@groups.io> On Behalf Of Bruce Bohannon WA1YZN
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2018 7:50 AM
To: ARRL-LoTW@groups.io
Subject: Re: [ARRL-LoTW] LoTW Downloads Failing - My Help Ticket Just Submitted to LoTW Help

And I agree with Joe. I downloaded from ARRL LOTW via HRD Logbook (version 6.4.893) using Windows 10 and I have not had any problems. The latest download transaction was at 8 AM this morning with 4 verification's.

Bruce WA1YZN

On 2018-10-15 1:08 PM, Anthony Hackenberg wrote:

Since the ARRL LoTW's support staff is in the process of switching
over their certificate processing to a more secure ("better"?)
method, we are all suspicious that the ARRL's change "broke" some
unexpected things and is causing this download problem.
That's garbage. There has been no problem with Windows 10 and DXLab
Suite - using Firefox (62.0.3), Internet Explorer, Edge or Chrome
browsers or DXLab Suite directly.

Stop blaming ARRL's IT department for problems with your logging
software or incorrect configuration of your browser (selecting the
obsolete SSL instead of the current version of TLS).

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2018-10-15 1:08 PM, Anthony Hackenberg wrote:
Hi,

I too am experiencing the problem that DOWNLOADS from LoTW into my
logging program (running under Windows 10) suddenly started to fail
today (10/15/2018). Of course, they were working fine just a day or
two ago. Since the ARRL LoTW's support staff is in the process of
switching over their certificate processing to a more secure
("better"?) method, we are all suspicious that the ARRL's change
"broke" some unexpected things and is causing this download problem.
So, in addition to posting to this Group, you may want to submit a
LoTW "Help Ticket" (like I just did) via this
was not supposed to affect users running Microsoft supported
operating systems but only those running much older (unsupported
ones) and the fact that the download failure is affecting many
different logging programs (ACL, LOGic, etc.), I think our suspicions
about where the problem really lies are well founded.

Here's the gist of my LoTW Help Ticket submission:

TO: ARRL's LoTW Help Ticket
FM: Tony Hackenberg/K4QR
DATE: 12:56 10/15/2018
SUBJ: DOWNLOADS Failing from LoTW into N3FJP's ACL Application
Just today (10/15/2018), I started to receive two (2) error
messages whenever I try to DOWNLOAD my records from LoTW into my
logging program/application [N3FJP's Amateur Contact Log (ACL)].
This downloading process worked fine yesterday (10/14/2018); it's
failing today (10/15/2018).
Curiously, I can log onto LoTW via my web browser (Google Chrome)
with no problems. Curiously, I am able to UPLOAD records from ACL to
LoTW with no problems.
However, attempts to download records from LoTW via ACL fail
repeatedly. The first error message complains about not being able
to create a SSL/TLS secure channel. While the second one's complaint
is that the LoTW responded incorrectly (and then goes on to
generically suggest you logon via your browser to see if LoTW servers
are up).
Since today (10/15/2018) was ARRL LoTW's switch-over to "better"
(more secure) certificate processing, I am suspicious that the
download failures I am experiencing are tied to this cut-over.
However, I AM RUNNING WINDOWS 10 PROFESSIONAL (and Windows 10 was
supposed to be work with your new certificate processing after the
cut-over.
My configuration:
HP Laptop (Envy)
Running Microsoft's Windows 10 Professional (up-to-date)
N3FJP's Amateur Contact Log application (aka "ACL"; up-to-date)
Google Chrome (up-to-date; my default browser)
Microsoft Edge (up-to-date; also installed on this laptop PC)
Hopefully, your LoTW programming staff/administrators can quickly
investigate and resolve this download problem.
73,
Tony/K4QR

Join ARRL-LoTW@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.