wouxun KG-UV3d with sound card modem

russ edelen

I have the kg-uv3d which i am trying to feed to UZ7HO soundmodem for APRSISCE display. I think my issue is setting the squelch which is menu selected. No squelch seems to let through to much background and adequate squelch seems to not catch the start of the data flow.

Are the new handhelds with menu driven squelch not suited for this purpose?

Lynn Deffenbaugh

I don't have recent experience with UZ7HO myself, but most soundmodem implementations are quite happy with open squelch.  I'm not sure what you mean by "too much background" in that context.

But you are correct that many of the new cheap HTs, and in fact, many older radios as well, do not open squelch fast enough to catch the start of packets.  It is best to run these radios with open squelch as long as the connected TNC (be it soft or hard) supports "carrier" or "tone" detect of some kind prior to transmitting.

On 6/9/2022 11:50 AM, russ edelen wrote:

I have the kg-uv3d which i am trying to feed to UZ7HO soundmodem for APRSISCE display. I think my issue is setting the squelch which is menu selected. No squelch seems to let through to much background and adequate squelch seems to not catch the start of the data flow.

Are the new handhelds with menu driven squelch not suited for this purpose?

Randy Love

UZ7HO soundmodem will decode signals even if the volume is VERY low...
I'd leave the squelch open and turn the volume down until the background in the waterfall is almost black, then watch for the waterfall to be white when a packet is received... turn up from there as necessary.

73,
Randy
WF5X