Topics

Windoze position won't save.

Glenn O'Connor

Another I D 10 T question here.

What am I doing incorrectly to not be able to save a resized window position?
If I remember correctly, merely drag the pane to the desired position and upon restart, it
goes to the new default location.

Glenn-KF0ED

Lynn Deffenbaugh

One of 2 things.  Either you've got the APRSIS32 executable in a windows-protected directory.  Or you've got APRSIS32 maximized when you close it.  Maximized windows do not save their position.

On 10/22/2020 7:01 AM, Glenn O'Connor wrote:
Another I D 10 T question here.

What am I doing incorrectly to not be able to save a resized window position?
If I remember correctly, merely drag the pane to the desired position and upon restart, it
goes to the new default location.

Glenn-KF0ED

Glenn O'Connor

C:\APRSIS32 isn't a protected directory, is it Lynn?

Glenn-KF0ED

Lynn Deffenbaugh

No, that should be fine.  Protected directories are the "Program Files" and such.

On 10/22/2020 7:36 AM, Glenn O'Connor wrote:
C:\APRSIS32 isn't a protected directory, is it Lynn?

Glenn-KF0ED

Rob Giuliano

Actually, depending on the default restrictions, the root can be pritected from running applications writing to it.  Making sub folders seems to be okay,  but I have heard usrrs complain about being able to create it, but then had to change secutity settings to use it.

Something to keep in mind as MS continues to become stricter on these things, and adding other protection applica0tions make it more so.

On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 8:10 AM, Lynn Deffenbaugh
<kj4erj@...> wrote:

No, that should be fine.  Protected directories are the "Program Files" and such.

On 10/22/2020 7:36 AM, Glenn O'Connor wrote:
C:\APRSIS32 isn't a protected directory, is it Lynn?

Glenn-KF0ED

Glenn O'Connor

Coming back to the my issue at hand, here's a clip of the APRSIS32 XML file points to Windows position: It doesn't vary, however, I can alter it to get the desired view.

<WindowPosition>*MainWindow*:10@130,130[1440,759]All</WindowPosition>
<!--SavedPosit-->

Lynn Deffenbaugh

1) If you make other configuration changes and close the client, do they show up in the XML?  The easiest one of those to try is change the Configure / General / Comment, close the client, and then see if your updated text is in the XML.  This will verify that APRSIS32 is able to write to the configuration XML file.

2) Are you SURE you have the main window restored and not maximized when you close the client.  Window positions are NOT recorded if you close a maximized main window.

3) What version of windows are you running?

4) Is it a dual (or multi) monitor system?

5) What is the callsign-SSID of the instance in question?

6) How are you closing the client?  The Exit menu option?  The X in the upper right corner?  Double-clicking the system menu in the upper left?  Closing from the task bar?  Force closing from Task Manager?

On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 01:40 PM, Lynn Deffenbaugh wrote:

1) If you make other configuration changes and close the client, do they show up in the XML?  The easiest one of those to try is change the Configure / General / Comment, close the client, and then see if your updated text is in the XML.  This will verify that APRSIS32 is able to write to the configuration XML file.

The XML file is being written to. Verified with the above suggested move.

2) Are you SURE you have the main window restored and not maximized when you close the client.  Window positions are NOT recorded if you close a maximized main window.

I don't run the program maximized.

3) What version of windows are you running?

W8.1

4) Is it a dual (or multi) monitor system?

Single, in the beloved Aero mode occupying the right side of a 16x9 monitor.

5) What is the callsign-SSID of the instance in question?

KF0ED

6) How are you closing the client?  The Exit menu option?  The X in the upper right corner?  Double-clicking the system menu in the upper left?  Closing from the task bar?  Force closing from Task Manager?

The upper X, usually.

This is a recent issue, Lynn. I've uninstalled the program for a reason or two, to get a clean reinstall.

After the re-install, did you edit the XML to switch to the current development version?  Not that the general version is very far behind, but what does your About box say?

This one has me stumped.

Do your multi-track windows come back where they were when you closed them?  Try the following sequence:

1) Open a multitrack on some station
2) Size and/or move the window around to where you'll remember
3) Close the multi-track window
4) Re-open a multitrack on the same station.

if that works, then try putting the multitrack window where you want your main window to be and close it there.  Then re-open the multitrack and see where it goes now.

One more question.  Is the main window completely on the screen on the right side of your monitor or is it's right edge actually off the screen?

And (ok, two questions) are you using one of those Windows features that maximizes the vertical coverage of a the window or are you actually sizing and moving it to exactly where you want it to be?

On 10/22/2020 3:31 PM, Glenn O'Connor wrote:
[...]

The Multi-track reverts to the main window size after reopening.

One more question.  Is the main window completely on the screen on the right side of your monitor or is it's right edge actually off the screen?

It's on the very right side of the monitor, using the Aero feature.

And (ok, two questions) are you using one of those Windows features that maximizes the vertical coverage of a the window or are you actually sizing and moving it to exactly where you want it to be?

Yes, that Aero feature does maximize the vertical position. No to sizing it "manually". BUT, I just noticed something, a new wrinkle perhaps. Upon the Aero sizing of the main window, I've been able, in the past, to move that main window around the monitor's "real estate" and maintain that aspect ratio. However, now I moved that desired window aspect even just slightly away from monitor's side, it reverts to the original, undesired windows size! Wait, what?!?!

Glenn O'Connor

I believe I've made peace with the app. Now, maybe I've had to do this in the past, maybe not.

NOT using the Aero Snap feature, I've a manually sized and saved under Screen/Preferred/Save.
Now exiting/launching the app, the desired main window(pane) size is restored.

I think I'll keep README notes entitled I D 10 T to keep around for my "custom" setup.

Thanks Lynn for all you do for our community!!

73,
Glenn-KF0ED

P.S. Yes, on the HF modem, I was only testing. I will run a separate instance if needed.

Lynn Deffenbaugh

I suspect Aero is busting you.  Try manually sizing the window(s) where you want them, but make sure Aero doesn't "help" you.  Even if you have to leave a little border around the window, do it.  I suspect that will solve your issue.

Anyone else out there using Aero?  Has anyone else had issues with windows size/position being recalled?  Is anyone else even following this thread?  ;)

On 10/22/2020 4:09 PM, Glenn O'Connor wrote:

[...]

Glad it's working.  Aero was probably setting window position flags rather than setting the actual window position.  That is actually why a maximized window doesn't save and restore properly, because the size and position of the window are not actually set.  Windows just "knows" that it's maximized and uses whatever the current definition of that is.

I suspect Aero has similar "snapped" flags somewhere that it is using rather than setting the size and position.

But congratulations on finally figuring it out.  Wow.