WikiMedia Tile Server closing

Lynn Deffenbaugh

In case any of you are using the Wikimedia tile server that used to be open, it is closing down in 45 days.  Not closing completely, but blocking non-Wikimedia access.  Read:

https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/maps-l/2020-August/001729.html

and the incident that triggered the decision is at:

https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Incident_documentation/20200204-maps

It's events like this, and the fact that OSM may be pushed into a similar decision with their tile servers eventually, that I continue to explore ways to render and deliver map tiles without investing a fortune in hardware and connectivity.  So the next time you notice slow tile downloads from my tile server, just consider the following hardware specs for OSM's rendering and CDN servers:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Servers/Tile_CDN

https://hardware.openstreetmap.org/

And here's the details of one of their 6 or 7 tile rendering servers:

https://hardware.openstreetmap.org/servers/odin.openstreetmap.org/