Weather Station Interface

jabrams2

This is probably not the correct software group, but prior to Superstorm Sandy I was running a Heathkit weather station connected directly to the Comm port of my computer running software that put the information on APRS.FI.  Both the computer and the weather station were destroyed.  I do not see any information (I still have the 2012 version and didn't upgrade yet) on enabling a weather station in the software.  What APRS program had the weather station interfaces (more than one).  Thank you
Jerry WB2ZEX

Glenn O'Connor

From: APRSISCE@groups.io <APRSISCE@groups.io> On Behalf Of jabrams2
Sent: Friday, May 08, 2020 4:02 PM
To: APRSISCE@groups.io
Subject: [APRSISCE] Weather Station Interface

This is probably not the correct software group, but prior to Superstorm Sandy I was running a Heathkit weather station connected directly to the Comm port of my computer running software that put the information on APRS.FI.  Both the computer and the weather station were destroyed.  I do not see any information (I still have the 2012 version and didn't upgrade yet) on enabling a weather station in the software.  What APRS program had the weather station interfaces (more than one).  Thank you
Jerry WB2ZEX

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Which basically says anything that generates a wxnow.txt file can be picked up and delivered by APRSIS32.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

On 5/8/2020 5:16 PM, Glenn O'Connor wrote:

http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:weather-stations

From: APRSISCE@groups.io <APRSISCE@groups.io> On Behalf Of jabrams2
Sent: Friday, May 08, 2020 4:02 PM
To: APRSISCE@groups.io
Subject: [APRSISCE] Weather Station Interface

Jerry WB2ZEX

jabrams2

The wxnow.txt file referred to in the wikipages does not exist.

Fred Hillhouse Jr (CruelShoes)

Do you have a weather station running now? If yes, share the brand, model or anything else that might be pertinent to provide better  answers. 

Second, assuming the first answer was yes, is your weather station application producing wxnow.txt?

Fred N7FMH 

On Sat, May 9, 2020, 11:21 AM jabrams2 <jabrams4@...> wrote:

patrick lambert

Acurite 5 in one

Pat ⛷🏂

From: APRSISCE@groups.io <APRSISCE@groups.io> on behalf of Fred Hillhouse Jr (CruelShoes) <f.hillhouse.jr@...>
Sent: Saturday, May 9, 2020 11:27:12 AM
To: APRSISCE@groups.io <APRSISCE@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [APRSISCE] Weather Station Interface

Do you have a weather station running now? If yes, share the brand, model or anything else that might be pertinent to provide better  answers. 

Second, assuming the first answer was yes, is your weather station application producing wxnow.txt?

Fred N7FMH 

Greg D

Hi Pat,

I have one of the Acurite stations (don't recall which model).  I had good luck with the package "weewx" for interfacing it with the computer.  My computer runs Linux, but the package is written in Python so I expect it will run on other systems too.  It was a little fiddly to set up, but once running, it has performed well.

You need something like that to poll the weather station for data and create the wxnow.txt file on a periodic basis.  APRSISCE/32 looks for changes in that text file to create the weather beacon.

Greg  KO6TH

patrick lambert wrote:

Acurite 5 in one

Pat ⛷🏂

From: APRSISCE@groups.io <APRSISCE@groups.io> on behalf of Fred Hillhouse Jr (CruelShoes) <f.hillhouse.jr@...>
Sent: Saturday, May 9, 2020 11:27:12 AM
To: APRSISCE@groups.io <APRSISCE@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [APRSISCE] Weather Station Interface

Fred N7FMH 

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Thank you for the report.  The link has been corrected to:

https://cumuluswiki.org/a/Wxnow.txt

On 5/9/2020 11:21 AM, jabrams2 wrote:

mkellync@...

Does anyone know if there a way to have a wxnow.txt file generated using cumulus weather software? 

my hardware is a Davis Pro2 setup. 

thanks,

Mike NZ4D 

Eric Weder

I did it for years. Sorry can’t be specific as my hardware is all in storage but it’s not difficult.

Eric
VE6EAW

On May 10, 2020, at 11:10, mkellync@... wrote:

Does anyone know if there a way to have a wxnow.txt file generated using cumulus weather software? 

thanks,

Mike NZ4D 

John N5TIM

You might check out Weather Display. I have a lite version working with a Davis WMII. I'm a UI-View user and it works great. Haven't tried it with APRSISCE.

John - N5TIM

On 5/10/2020 12:06 PM, mkellync@... wrote:

thanks,

Mike NZ4D 

Lynn Deffenbaugh

From the Wxnow.txt file linked to the Wiki: https://cumuluswiki.org/a/Wxnow.txt

The wxnow.txt file is created by Cumulus once a minute by default, in the Cumulus program folder, unless you have disabled it by setting

CreateWxnowTxt=0

in the [Station] section of Cumulus.ini. Below is the file format, simply for information.

On 5/10/2020 1:06 PM, mkellync@... wrote:

thanks,

Mike NZ4D