Topics

weather bouy data

T W

Does anyone here now how to incorporate weather bouy data from NOAA into the display? Down here on the gulf coast this could be useful.
Thank in advance.

Cheers
kf6kyd

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Is the data available as APRS objects?

On 10/10/2020 3:17 PM, T W via groups.io wrote:
Does anyone here now how to incorporate weather bouy data from NOAA into the display? Down here on the gulf coast this could be useful.
Thank in advance.

Cheers
kf6kyd

T W

Hi Lynn, how can I tell that? I do know that NOAA is making the data available as KML objects.

On 10 Oct 2020, at 15:16, Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

Is the data available as APRS objects?

On 10/10/2020 3:17 PM, T W via groups.io wrote:
Does anyone here now how to incorporate weather bouy data from NOAA into the display? Down here on the gulf coast this could be useful.
Thank in advance.

Cheers
kf6kyd

Glenn O'Connor

Wouldn't KML objects have to be manually entered by the interested party for
transmission?

Hi Lynn, how can I tell that? I do know that NOAA is making the data
available as KML objects.

On 10 Oct 2020, at 15:16, Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

Is the data available as APRS objects?

On 10/10/2020 3:17 PM, T W via groups.io wrote:
Does anyone here now how to incorporate weather bouy data from NOAA into
the display? Down here on the gulf coast this could be useful.
Thank in advance.

Cheers
kf6kyd

Hal Mueller

If you just want it in your display, you could convert the KMZ to GPX and follow the steps for adding a GPX overlay.

Hal
N3YX

Fred Hillhouse

Essentially the data needs to be scraped, pack into a series of telemetry
packets, then sent to the server. Considering how much data might be
created, the data might be best on Firenet. It may already be available.

Here is a link to the raw data:
https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/data/latest_obs/latest_obs.txt

What data is of interest to you? My favorite four are:
WDIR - Wind Direction
WSPD - Wind Speed
WVHT - Wave Height
PRES - Air Pressure