Wanting local (RF) only bulletin/announcement sending capability

KH6CP Craig Paul

I'm accustomed to being able to send announcements and bulletins from my
Kenwoods, and was hoping that APRSIS32 would provide a similar capability
with a real (computer) keyboard!

It seems that Messages/Announcements/Bulletins talks to an internet server
elsewhere.

Is it possible to send something akin to BLNx<groupname> with APRSIS32
and have it behave as in Chapter 14 of APRS101?

If not is there any Windows program that will do this (via a soundcard modem like
Direwolf?)

Thank you!
Craig/KH6CP

Greg Depew

Do you have an RF port setup on your copy of 32? The messages and bulletins will go out on RF as long as you have the port setup and the correct boxes checked.

KB3KBR Greg. Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

I'm accustomed to being able to send announcements and bulletins from my
Kenwoods, and was hoping that APRSIS32 would provide a similar capability
with a real (computer) keyboard!

It seems that Messages/Announcements/Bulletins talks to an internet server
elsewhere.

Is it possible to send something akin to BLNx<groupname> with APRSIS32
and have it behave as in Chapter 14 of APRS101?

If not is there any Windows program that will do this (via a soundcard modem like
Direwolf?)

Thank you!
Craig/KH6CP

KH6CP Craig Paul

Hi, Greg,

If I'm dealing with a "grid-down" situation I won't have access to the ANSRVR, right?

I have to register a group with ANSRVR to get the group drop-down to populate with a group.
(And I haven't gotten a registered group to populate the drop-down, yet. Any hints?
If it's not of general interest please e-mail me directly.)

Thanks!
Craig/KH6CP

And,

On Sat, Aug 28, 2021 at 3:32 PM Greg Depew <goatherder_4891@...> wrote:
Do you have an RF port setup on your copy of 32? The messages and bulletins will go out on RF as long as you have the port setup and the correct boxes checked.

KB3KBR Greg. Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

I'm accustomed to being able to send announcements and bulletins from my
Kenwoods, and was hoping that APRSIS32 would provide a similar capability
with a real (computer) keyboard!

It seems that Messages/Announcements/Bulletins talks to an internet server
elsewhere.

Is it possible to send something akin to BLNx<groupname> with APRSIS32
and have it behave as in Chapter 14 of APRS101?

If not is there any Windows program that will do this (via a soundcard modem like
Direwolf?)

Thank you!
Craig/KH6CP

Patrick Connor

From the menu bar: Messages>Bulletins>Create

Patrick (N3TSZ)

On Saturday, August 28, 2021, 10:06:27 PM EDT, KH6CP Craig Paul <carcarx@...> wrote:

[...]

ANSRVR is a server hosted by Lynn for group chats. You mentioned bulletins earlier. You can go to Messages> bulletins> create and from there make a bulletin to go out on IS and RF.  32 knows which ports are avail and will send appropriately. You can also force it to do one or the other if you so choose.

The biggest thing is having the ports setup to be able to be sent on RF.

ANSRVR: to get a group to populate you have to join said group. Go Messages> Announcements > Join group. From there you will put the group name which if I remember correctly has to be a single word.

http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:ansrvr

KB3KBR Greg. Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

I'm accustomed to being able to send announcements and bulletins from my
Kenwoods, and was hoping that APRSIS32 would provide a similar capability
with a real (computer) keyboard!

It seems that Messages/Announcements/Bulletins talks to an internet server
elsewhere.

Is it possible to send something akin to BLNx<groupname> with APRSIS32
and have it behave as in Chapter 14 of APRS101?

If not is there any Windows program that will do this (via a soundcard modem like
Direwolf?)

Thank you!
Craig/KH6CP

Greg Depew

Copying to the group for more visibility. We welcome these kind of discussions here! :) 😃

Like I said in my other email the ANSRVR is more for group chatting and announcements.  What you're looking for is built in with the bulletin system.  You could have your receiving personal setup their radios and also the computer to receive messages from we'll say a group called WXANNONC. Then anyone can send a message to that group and it will show up on the front panels of others setup to receive it.

KB3KBR Greg. Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

From: KH6CP Craig Paul <carcarx@...>
Date: 8/28/21 21:02 (GMT-05:00)
To: "APRSISCE@groups.io Group Moderators" <APRSISCE@groups.io>

I'm accustomed to being able to send announcements and bulletins from my
Kenwoods, and was hoping that APRSIS32 would provide a similar capability
with a real (computer) keyboard!

It seems that Messages/Announcements/Bulletins talks to an internet server
elsewhere.

Is it possible to send something akin to BLNx<groupname> with APRSIS32
and have it behave as in Chapter 14 of APRS101?

If not is there any Windows program that will do this (via a soundcard modem like
Direwolf?)

Thank you!
Craig/KH6CP

T W

Is there a list of these groups somewhere?

On 28 Aug 2021, at 22:03, Greg Depew <goatherder_4891@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank, Greg,

"Messages> bulletins> create" - that method, by itself, will not let me populate a group.
I'm seeking direct input to the "group" field without ANSRVR or CQSRVR being involved.

Seems like APRSIS32 doesn't allow that.

Thanks!
Craig/KH6CP

On Sat, Aug 28, 2021 at 4:29 PM Greg Depew <goatherder_4891@...> wrote:
[...]

I see that now. It used to have e the ability to send to groups but that looks like its just been integrated into regular messaging. I just sent a message to Yaesu from my -1 station and my -11 portable picked it up as a group message.

Maybe Lynn has more information on it?

KB3KBR Greg. Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

I'm accustomed to being able to send announcements and bulletins from my
Kenwoods, and was hoping that APRSIS32 would provide a similar capability
with a real (computer) keyboard!

It seems that Messages/Announcements/Bulletins talks to an internet server
elsewhere.

Is it possible to send something akin to BLNx<groupname> with APRSIS32
and have it behave as in Chapter 14 of APRS101?

If not is there any Windows program that will do this (via a soundcard modem like
Direwolf?)

Thank you!
Craig/KH6CP

KH6CP Craig Paul

Thanks, Greg,

Here on Oahu many places don't have "wide open spaces" so that low power RF transmissions can be assured of "long reach".
Emergency management districts have a terrain component to them.

In my "ideal" world amateur radio district emergency coordinators would have APRS message group and bulletin group transmission capable radios.
If they had those capabilities a very power efficient method for event preparedness might go something like this:

Pre-disaster:

Via global message/group message:

Arrange wilderness protocol timings, messaging/bulletin/announcement groups and

delineations of groups and each group’s geographic district boundaries

Pending disaster: Radio/messaging checks – any last minute changes (announcements, then

closer to damaging conditions bulletins if necessary)

During disaster: Reports of utility outages/damage (beacons, objects, and group messages) toward

a common operating picture

Post-disaster: Road blockages/closures, flooding, structural damage (beacons, objects, and group

messages) toward a common operating picture

Wind-down: Announcement to groups of district debrief meetings (virtual or otherwise)

I know that a hurricane scarred US territory is using APRS bulletins to distribute weather and earthquake alerts.

Alas, only Kenwood radios have group origination capabilities. Yaesu APRS radios can properly receive group messages and bulletins/announcements.

It would be great if we had a radio-agnostic RF only method to take advantage of groups messages and bulletins/announcements.

Heck, I'd even pay for something like that!

Thoughts?

Craig/KH6CP

On Sun, Aug 29, 2021 at 3:49 PM Greg Depew <goatherder_4891@...> wrote:
[...]

Rats!

That line should read

Here on Oahu many places don't have "wide open spaces" so that low power RF transmissions can't be assured of "long reach".