"View -> Buddies" filter not working with partial callsign wildcards

Bob

It seems that when I add a budlist filter to my APRS server configuration that uses a partial callsign and a wild card, APRSIS32 does not recognize any of the matching calls as buddies. We had an event that used tactical callsigns that all began with "HH" and I adding a budlist to my configuration (b/HH*) and APRSIS32 did not match any of the resulting callsigns as buddies eligible to be listed under "View -> Buddies".

Bob W9IZ

Bob

Lynn, are you going to reply? Is this behavior by design or is this a bug?

According to <http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/menu:view>:
"Buddies
Displays all stations that APRSISCE/32 considered to be a "Buddy". This includes any station matching any b/xxx or f/xxx filter (including wildcards) and also any station currently centered in any APRSISCE/32 MultiTrack window."

It seems that this only works for complete call signs specified in the "b/" filter (e.g b/W9IZ*) and not partial callsigns (e.g. b/W9I*).

Bob W9IZ

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Can you describe how you know what APRSIS32 considered under View -> Buddies?  And if you were missing any, had you actually received packets from those stations?  This is really hard to diagnose after the fact, I understand.

And I do assume that the tactical callsigns were actually the source callsigns of the various APRS position packets?

PS.  Note that View / Buddies does include a parenthetical number showing how many stations would be shown by checking that view option.

On 11/9/2021 11:45 AM, Bob via groups.io wrote:
It seems that when I add a budlist filter to my APRS server configuration that uses a partial callsign and a wild card, APRSIS32 does not recognize any of the matching calls as buddies. We had an event that used tactical callsigns that all began with "HH" and I adding a budlist to my configuration (b/HH*) and APRSIS32 did not match any of the resulting callsigns as buddies eligible to be listed under "View -> Buddies".

Bob W9IZ

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Again, with another look at the source code, the wildcard only applies to -SSIDs for base callsigns.  It does not support wildcards as a prefix of a longer callsign.  Sorry for the misunderstanding and delay in the response.

So, your b/HH* would NOT call every station starting with HH as a buddy, but it WOULD call HH-1, HH-2, HH-3, ... HH-15 all as buddies.

PS.  For the "C" coders among us:

static BOOL IsBuddyStation(char *Station)
{	unsigned long b;

	for (b=0; b<BuddyCount; b++)
	{	if (Buddies[b].isWild)
		{	if (!_strnicmp(Buddies[b].Call, Station, Buddies[b].CallLen)
			&& (Station[Buddies[b].CallLen] == '-'	/* Only base call */
				|| Station[Buddies[b].CallLen] == '\0'))	/* or whole call */
				return TRUE;
		} else if (!_stricmp(Buddies[b].Call, Station))
			return TRUE;
	}
	return FALSE;
}

On 11/11/2021 4:38 PM, Lynn Deffenbaugh wrote:

[...]

ivan pico revilla

Tnx
Enviado desde mi iPhone

El 11 nov 2021, a las 22:49, Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> escribió:

Again, with another look at the source code, the wildcard only applies to -SSIDs for base callsigns.  It does not support wildcards as a prefix of a longer callsign.  Sorry for the misunderstanding and delay in the response.

So, your b/HH* would NOT call every station starting with HH as a buddy, but it WOULD call HH-1, HH-2, HH-3, ... HH-15 all as buddies.

PS.  For the "C" coders among us:

static BOOL IsBuddyStation(char *Station)
{	unsigned long b;

	for (b=0; b<BuddyCount; b++)
	{	if (Buddies[b].isWild)
		{	if (!_strnicmp(Buddies[b].Call, Station, Buddies[b].CallLen)
			&& (Station[Buddies[b].CallLen] == '-'	/* Only base call */
				|| Station[Buddies[b].CallLen] == '\0'))	/* or whole call */
				return TRUE;
		} else if (!_stricmp(Buddies[b].Call, Station))
			return TRUE;
	}
	return FALSE;
}

On 11/11/2021 4:38 PM, Lynn Deffenbaugh wrote:

Can you describe how you know what APRSIS32 considered under View -> Buddies?  And if you were missing any, had you actually received packets from those stations?  This is really hard to diagnose after the fact, I understand.

And I do assume that the tactical callsigns were actually the source callsigns of the various APRS position packets?

PS.  Note that View / Buddies does include a parenthetical number showing how many stations would be shown by checking that view option.

On 11/9/2021 11:45 AM, Bob via groups.io wrote:
It seems that when I add a budlist filter to my APRS server configuration that uses a partial callsign and a wild card, APRSIS32 does not recognize any of the matching calls as buddies. We had an event that used tactical callsigns that all began with "HH" and I adding a budlist to my configuration (b/HH*) and APRSIS32 did not match any of the resulting callsigns as buddies eligible to be listed under "View -> Buddies".

Bob W9IZ

Glenn O'Connor

Que?

Again, with another look at the source code, the wildcard only applies to -SSIDs for base callsigns.  It does not support wildcards as a prefix of a longer callsign.  Sorry for the misunderstanding and delay in the response.

So, your b/HH* would NOT call every station starting with HH as a buddy, but it WOULD call HH-1, HH-2, HH-3, ... HH-15 all as buddies.

PS.  For the "C" coders among us:

static BOOL IsBuddyStation(char *Station)
{ unsigned long b;

  for (b=0; b<BuddyCount; b++)
  {       if (Buddies[b].isWild)
         {       if (!_strnicmp(Buddies[b].Call, Station, Buddies[b].CallLen)
                 && (Station[Buddies[b].CallLen] == '-' /* Only base call */
                         || Station[Buddies[b].CallLen] == '\0'))      /* or whole call */
                         return TRUE;
         } else if (!_stricmp(Buddies[b].Call, Station))
                 return TRUE;
  }
  return FALSE;
}

On 11/11/2021 4:38 PM, Lynn Deffenbaugh wrote:

Can you describe how you know what APRSIS32 considered under View -> Buddies?  And if you were missing any, had you actually received packets from those stations?  This is really hard to diagnose after the fact, I understand.

And I do assume that the tactical callsigns were actually the source callsigns of the various APRS position packets?

PS.  Note that View / Buddies does include a parenthetical number showing how many stations would be shown by checking that view option.

On 11/9/2021 11:45 AM, Bob via groups.io wrote:

It seems that when I add a budlist filter to my APRS server configuration that uses a partial callsign and a wild card, APRSIS32 does not recognize any of the matching calls as buddies. We had an event that used tactical callsigns that all began with "HH" and I adding a budlist to my configuration (b/HH*) and APRSIS32 did not match any of the resulting callsigns as buddies eligible to be listed under "View -> Buddies".

Bob W9IZ

ivan pico revilla

Tnx 4 info …

Enviado desde mi iPhone

El 12 nov 2021, a las 5:06, John Rudolph <John@...> escribió:

I recently used this feature and it worked perfectly for me.
On Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 01:33 PM, Bob wrote:
Lynn, are you going to reply? Is this behavior by design or is this a bug?

According to <http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/menu:view>:
"Buddies
Displays all stations that APRSISCE/32 considered to be a "Buddy". This includes any station matching any b/xxx or f/xxx filter (including wildcards) and also any station currently centered in any APRSISCE/32 MultiTrack window."

It seems that this only works for complete call signs specified in the "b/" filter (e.g b/W9IZ*) and not partial callsigns (e.g. b/W9I*).

Bob W9IZ

Bob

Lynn, I based this on both the parenthetical number next to View/Buddies and what was displayed on the screen when I selected/deselected View/Buddies. I have a Wx3n1 assigned to W9IZ-15 and my instance of APRSIS32 is W9IZ-14. When I use a filter of "b/W9IZ*", both stations are displayed and the parenthetical number of View/Buddies is (2). When I use a filter of "b/W9I*" neither station is displayed and the parenthetical number is (0) even though I am receiving packets.

Bob W9IZ

Bob

Ok, so this is by design although it is inconsistent with the APRS-IS filters that do permit partial callsign matching by wildcards.

Bob W9IZ