Using TT4 with iPaq HX2750 and Garmin eTrex Summit

m6xsd <m6xsd@...>

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of using a TT4 with an iPaq HX2750 and Garmin eTrex Summit or similar PDA's and GPS's with a TT4.
Since the iPaq only has one Com Port is it possible for the TT4 to route the NMEA data from the GPS to the PDA for APRSISCE to use along with the APRS data received over RF?

73,
Colin.

Colin Catlin

Hi again All,

Since no one has replied, do anyone have any thoughts on this combination (TT4, iPaq & eTrex)?
My concern is the iPaq only having one real COM port.
If the general concensus is that this won't work I was wondering if I could get around it by switching the data into the iPaq. So some of the time it gets the NMEA direct from the eTrex instead of the TT4, anyone haveanythoughtson that?

73,
Colin
2E0XSD.

--- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "m6xsd" <m6xsd@...> wrote:

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of using a TT4 with an iPaq HX2750 and Garmin eTrex Summit or similar PDA's and GPS's with a TT4.
Since the iPaq only has one Com Port is it possible for the TT4 to route the NMEA data from the GPS to the PDA for APRSISCE to use along with the APRS data received over RF?

73,
Colin.

Steve <sbd64000@...>

Hi Colin

I take it you have these devices? If you are buying I would go for a bluetooth gps device, I have one somewhere you can have. that way you can connect the TT4 to the com port and GPS via bluetooth.

my latest bluetooth GPS has EGNOS (WAAS to those in the USA) and is the size of of a slightly large memory stick.

Just a thought

Steve G6UIM

--- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "m6xsd" wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I was wondering if anyone has any experience of using a TT4 with an iPaq HX2750 and Garmin eTrex Summit or similar PDA's and GPS's with a TT4.
> Since the iPaq only has one Com Port is it possible for the TT4 to route the NMEA data from the GPS to the PDA for APRSISCE to use along with the APRS data received over RF?
>

> 73,
> Colin.

Colin Catlin

Thanks Steve,

I don't have the TT4 yet but have the rest.

I was hoping to avoid a Bluetooth GPS (I do haveone I use with my phone).

I could use another I guess but the Garmin seems to work farbetter than my existing Bluetooth.

My other option is a bluetooth adapter for the Garmin, if they are still available.

Thanks for the offer & advice, I will giveit some more thought.

73,
Colin.

On 26/03/2010 22:41, Steve wrote:

Hi Colin

I take it you have these devices? If you are buying I would go for a bluetooth gps device, I have one somewhere you can have. that way you can connect the TT4 to the com port and GPS via bluetooth.

my latest bluetooth GPS has EGNOS (WAAS to those in the USA) and is the size of of a slightly large memory stick.

Just a thought

Steve G6UIM

Since no one has replied, do anyone have any thoughts on this combination (TT4, iPaq & eTrex)?
My concern is the iPaq only having one real COM port.
If the general concensus is that this won't work I was wondering if I could get around it by switching the data into the iPaq. So some of the time it gets the NMEA direct from the eTrex instead of the TT4, anyone haveanythoughtson that?

73,
Colin
2E0XSD.

--- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "m6xsd" wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I was wondering if anyone has any experience of using a TT4 with an iPaq HX2750 and Garmin eTrex Summit or similar PDA's and GPS's with a TT4.
> Since the iPaq only has one Com Port is it possible for the TT4 to route the NMEA data from the GPS to the PDA for APRSISCE to use along with the APRS data received over RF?
>

> 73,
> Colin.

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Colin,

One option with the TT4 is to connect the GPS to it via a serial port and let it do all of your normal position beaconing. You can turn on PKTOCOM to have it also send its beacons out to APRSISCE/32 via the KISS port. APRSISCE/32 can then do all of your display, IGating (if you have Internet), and messaging (with Messages / My Messages allowing display of those directed to the TT4 -SSID).

You'd be able to get by with a single serial connection from the TT4 to the PDA, the TT4 would be able to operate standalone without the PDA, and yet you'd have the features of APRSISCE/32 available when you connect it. The only thing you wouldn't have is APRSISCE/32 beaconing its own position because it would have no GPS. You'd just keep it Tracking / Locked and Tracking / Center on the TT4 -SSID. The map would then jump with each beacon instead of smoothly scrolling as it does when you have a local GPS.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

--- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com <mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com>, "m6xsd" <m6xsd@...> wrote:

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of using a TT4 with an
iPaq HX2750 and Garmin eTrex Summit or similar PDA's and GPS's with a TT4.
Since the iPaq only has one Com Port is it possible for the TT4 to
route the NMEA data from the GPS to the PDA for APRSISCE to use along with the APRS data received over RF?

73,
Colin.

Colin Catlin

That sounds good Lynn, it will at least work, if not totally ideal.

If I do some fancy routing of the GPS data will APRSIS cope with it?,
I'm wondering if routing the NMEA to the PDA when the Rig isn't either Transmitting or Receiving.
So one second the PDA would be getting NMEA data from the GPS the next APRS data from the TT4 on the same COM port.
Would that work?

73,
Colin.

Colin Catlin wrote:

> Thanks Steve,
>
> I don't have the TT4 yet but have the rest.
>
> I was hoping to avoid a Bluetooth GPS (I do haveone I use with my phone).
>
> I could use another I guess but the Garmin seems to work farbetter
> than my existing Bluetooth.
>
> My other option is a bluetooth adapter for the Garmin, if they are
> still available.
>
> Thanks for the offer & advice, I will giveit some more thought.
>

> 73,
> Colin.
>

> On 26/03/2010 22:41, Steve wrote:
>>

>> Hi Colin
>>
>> I take it you have these devices? If you are buying I would go for a
>> bluetooth gps device, I have one somewhere you can have. that way you
>> can connect the TT4 to the com port and GPS via bluetooth.
>>
>> my latest bluetooth GPS has EGNOS (WAAS to those in the USA) and is
>> the size of of a slightly large memory stick.
>>
>> Just a thought
>>
>> Steve G6UIM

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Colin Catlin wrote:
If I do some fancy routing of the GPS data will APRSIS cope with it?,
I'm wondering if routing the NMEA to the PDA when the Rig isn't either Transmitting or Receiving.
So one second the PDA would be getting NMEA data from the GPS the next APRS data from the TT4 on the same COM port.
Would that work?
Currently, no. I need to figure out just what the "TEXT" mode is on a TT4 and develop an Interface that would allow what you describe. It's on the ToDo list lurking as something seemingly related....

I've got a loaner D710 on the way and I believe that can do a similar function, interleaving NMEA GPS along with APRS packets on a single port. Hopefully I'll be able to get something that works in a semi-general fashion.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

Colin Catlin wrote:

[...]

<mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:aprsisce%40yahoogroups.com>,
"m6xsd" <m6xsd@...> wrote:

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of using a TT4 with an
iPaq HX2750 and Garmin eTrex Summit or similar PDA's and GPS's with a
TT4.
Since the iPaq only has one Com Port is it possible for the TT4 to
route the NMEA data from the GPS to the PDA for APRSISCE to use along
with the APRS data received over RF?

73,
Colin.

Colin Catlin

Thats good Lynn,

If it's on your ToDo list with the speed you are bringing new features out it will be implemented before I need it.
Even if you don't I can live with a jerky display in the meantime.

I can seriously think about getting a TT4now then:).

73,
Colin.