Using Aprs with anytone at-778uv

Is it possible to use aprsis32 with the Anytone AT-778UV and if so what cable would I need to connect the radio to my computer?

Lynn Deffenbaugh

AFAIK, Anytone does not provide an interface to their TNC.  If you want to use it as a simple radio, then you need either a hardware TNC (eg Mobilinkd) or a soft TNC (eg Direwolf) to do the AX.25 audio modem functions.  You would then interface APRSIS32 to the hard or soft TNC, not to the radio as APRSIS32 only supports TNCs, not AX.25 nor audio directly.

On 4/11/2022 5:52 AM, KO4PUG-Randy Shell wrote:
Is it possible to use aprsis32 with the Anytone AT-778UV and if so what cable would I need to connect the radio to my computer?

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Ok, so I had the wrong Anytone.  The AT-778UV doesn't even have internal APRS capability.   Everything else I stated is still true.

On 4/11/2022 7:21 AM, Lynn Deffenbaugh wrote:

AFAIK, Anytone does not provide an interface to their TNC.  If you want to use it as a simple radio, then you need either a hardware TNC (eg Mobilinkd) or a soft TNC (eg Direwolf) to do the AX.25 audio modem functions.  You would then interface APRSIS32 to the hard or soft TNC, not to the radio as APRSIS32 only supports TNCs, not AX.25 nor audio directly.

On 4/11/2022 5:52 AM, KO4PUG-Randy Shell wrote:
Is it possible to use aprsis32 with the Anytone AT-778UV and if so what cable would I need to connect the radio to my computer?

Thank you.

On Apr 11, 2022, at 7:21 AM, Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

AFAIK, Anytone does not provide an interface to their TNC.  If you want to use it as a simple radio, then you need either a hardware TNC (eg Mobilinkd) or a soft TNC (eg Direwolf) to do the AX.25 audio modem functions.  You would then interface APRSIS32 to the hard or soft TNC, not to the radio as APRSIS32 only supports TNCs, not AX.25 nor audio directly.

On 4/11/2022 5:52 AM, KO4PUG-Randy Shell wrote:
Is it possible to use aprsis32 with the Anytone AT-778UV and if so what cable would I need to connect the radio to my computer?

So that radio is incapable of doing Aprs under any kind of setup?

On Apr 11, 2022, at 9:31 AM, Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

Ok, so I had the wrong Anytone.  The AT-778UV doesn't even have internal APRS capability.   Everything else I stated is still true.

On 4/11/2022 7:21 AM, Lynn Deffenbaugh wrote:

AFAIK, Anytone does not provide an interface to their TNC.  If you want to use it as a simple radio, then you need either a hardware TNC (eg Mobilinkd) or a soft TNC (eg Direwolf) to do the AX.25 audio modem functions.  You would then interface APRSIS32 to the hard or soft TNC, not to the radio as APRSIS32 only supports TNCs, not AX.25 nor audio directly.

On 4/11/2022 5:52 AM, KO4PUG-Randy Shell wrote:
Is it possible to use aprsis32 with the Anytone AT-778UV and if so what cable would I need to connect the radio to my computer?

Lynn Deffenbaugh

No, it is as I originally stated.

On 4/11/2022 9:56 AM, KO4PUG-Randy Shell wrote:
So that radio is incapable of doing Aprs under any kind of setup?

On Apr 11, 2022, at 9:31 AM, Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

Ok, so I had the wrong Anytone.  The AT-778UV doesn't even have internal APRS capability.   Everything else I stated is still true.

On 4/11/2022 7:21 AM, Lynn Deffenbaugh wrote:

AFAIK, Anytone does not provide an interface to their TNC.  If you want to use it as a simple radio, then you need either a hardware TNC (eg Mobilinkd) or a soft TNC (eg Direwolf) to do the AX.25 audio modem functions.  You would then interface APRSIS32 to the hard or soft TNC, not to the radio as APRSIS32 only supports TNCs, not AX.25 nor audio directly.

On 4/11/2022 5:52 AM, KO4PUG-Randy Shell wrote:
Is it possible to use aprsis32 with the Anytone AT-778UV and if so what cable would I need to connect the radio to my computer?

John N5TIM

Just about any 2M/70cm radio will work for APRS and Winlink. The interface depends on the type of TNC or soundcard used between the radio and computer or the tracker used. The Argent System USB trackers and the Tinytraks are good for APRS wile the Masters Communications DRA modules are excellent for Winlink and can be used for a home APRS system.

73, John - N5TIM

Thank you for your time. You are very helpful.

On Apr 11, 2022, at 12:09 PM, John N5TIM <n5tim.ps@...> wrote:

Just about any 2M/70cm radio will work for APRS and Winlink. The interface depends on the type of TNC or soundcard used between the radio and computer or the tracker used. The Argent System USB trackers and the Tinytraks are good for APRS wile the Masters Communications DRA modules are excellent for Winlink and can be used for a home APRS system.

73, John - N5TIM

Glenn O'Connor

Just seen:

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Yep, been working with a beta firmware version that just got released.  No external access to the TNC and a few rough edges around the display, and there's still some work going on with decode ability, but it does receive and display many APRS packets now!

And Reply-Ack messaging with APRSIS32 and other clients that implement it should work!

Just do NOT turn off the "APRS Verification" or whatever the menu option is in the final firmware release.  It's like PASSALL in the KPC-3 TNCs in that it will start to display trash from packets that failed the FCS (Frame Check Sum) verification.

On 4/16/2022 4:01 PM, Glenn O'Connor wrote:
Just seen: