Transmitted Status (Special)

Keith Ballow

I get dozens of these per week. What are they and is there a way I can filter them out?

Rob Giuliano

The APRS specification allows for Mic-E format that includes a status embedded in the message.
It also defines how APRS clients should respond to the different 'priority levels' of the status and APRSIS32 complies with that by popping up messages when Special or other status messages are received that require it.

You can limit or turn OFF this feature using the Menu >Configure > Mic-E Notifications
  and change the settings as desired.

Although there are too many who feel they are "Special", not many users send "Emergency" messages when it is not warranted.  It is recommended that you allow the "Emergency" message come though.  It has a separate line in the menu.

On Tuesday, August 10, 2021, 9:53:46 AM EDT, Keith Ballow <keith@...> wrote:

I get dozens of these per week. What are they and is there a way I can filter them out?

Lynn Deffenbaugh

If you read http://aprs.org/aprs12/EmergencyCode.txt you will see that "Special" "would CENTER the map on the symbol".  Well, I thought that was a bit draconian and intrusive, so I implemented it to do an internal message.

If you look at the Configure / Mic-E Notifications menu you can enable or disable these actions as you see fit.  Personally, I do uncheck the Special one because too many APRS users think they are "Special" and simply select that option without being aware of the definitions in the link quoted above.

On 8/10/2021 9:52 AM, Keith Ballow wrote:
I get dozens of these per week. What are they and is there a way I can filter them out?

Keith Ballow

Thanks for the info guys!
I’ll take a look in the configuration settings and see if I can turn some of these “Special” folks OFF!

Keith

KN5G

On Aug 10, 2021, at 8:53 AM, Keith Ballow <keith@...> wrote:

I get dozens of these per week. What are they and is there a way I can filter them out?
<01C10E5C-5DEA-4702-816A-1DC31A6AFA9D.jpeg>
<960D30EF-EA78-4D67-938C-9651E955A023.jpeg>