ToCall(s) for SCS PTCx, Dragon etc.

Julian

Hi.
I am sorry to post this topic here cause it is not related to APRSIS32 software (well, I guess, unless an SCS modem is used in KISS mode with APRSIS32). I hope group moderators/owners do not mind. I have seen Robert Bruninga active on this group and I was wondering whether he could help with a ToCall for SCS PTC modems. I had opened a similar topic on the APRS group, but after a quick 'WB4APR' search in the group messages I realised Bob is not active there.
Best regards, 73 de J, MØIPU YOЗFCA

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Julian,

ToCalls are typically issued to the device or software that is actually implementing the protocol and generating the APRS packets.  Is your request for the SCS PTC modem that internally generates and transmits APRS packets, or is it for software that is actually generating the packets and transmitting them through an SCS PTC modem in KISS or a similar mode?

And where does "Dragon" come into the picture as you only mentioned it in the subject and not the body of your message?

On 4/2/2021 1:25 PM, Julian wrote:
Hi.
I am sorry to post this topic here cause it is not related to APRSIS32 software (well, I guess, unless an SCS modem is used in KISS mode with APRSIS32). I hope group moderators/owners do not mind. I have seen Robert Bruninga active on this group and I was wondering whether he could help with a ToCall for SCS PTC modems. I had opened a similar topic on the APRS group, but after a quick 'WB4APR' search in the group messages I realised Bob is not active there.
Best regards, 73 de J, MØIPU YOЗFCA

Julian

Hi Lynn, mni tks fer coming bk to me. That's right, I was referring to the PTCs firmware, 4.1r. The soft I am using is Alpha4, but that is just a host/terminal interface, let's say. Great software by the way.
Re Dragon, I had just mentioned it ephemerally, cause I do not own one, but I believe it suffers from the same fate, a lack of tocall. I don't know what sort of firmware it uses for the moment (in respect to PTCs)  or how APRS is implemented there.
APRS in PTC is OK, however it doesn't support messaging by the looks of it nor WIDE digi-ing, I think (some sort of WIDEx-x digi-ing could be probably done on MYAlias).
Best regards, 73 de J, MØIPU YOЗFCA

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Well, from that screen capture, it appears that the ToCall is actually required entry by the user on the PAth command.  I'm suspecting that the TARGET is the ToCall and then the actual path is composed of the DIGI0 .. DIGI8, even though that range would imply 9 supported Digis, the actual AX.25 packets only support 8 as the description states.

So, if the user has to specify the TARGET and that is indeed the ToCall, it's highly unlikely that any official ToCall would ever make it into most of the deployed TNCs.  If you have a line to the firmware developer, I'd lover to interact directly with him/her rather than relaying through you, who appear to be just an alpha or beta tester?

For an official ToCall to be effective, it should not be something the user has to specify along with something that would ordinarily be user configured like the path.  If a dedicated, defaulted, ToCall (destintaion call or TARGET) is a configuration parameter, then it will be more likely to be kept at the official value rather than at risk for misspelled entry in a PATH specification.

On 4/3/2021 6:31 AM, Julian wrote:
Hi Lynn, mni tks fer coming bk to me. That's right, I was referring to the PTCs firmware, 4.1r. The soft I am using is Alpha4, but that is just a host/terminal interface, let's say. Great software by the way.
Re Dragon, I had just mentioned it ephemerally, cause I do not own one, but I believe it suffers from the same fate, a lack of tocall. I don't know what sort of firmware it uses for the moment (in respect to PTCs)  or how APRS is implemented there.
APRS in PTC is OK, however it doesn't support messaging by the looks of it nor WIDE digi-ing, I think (some sort of WIDEx-x digi-ing could be probably done on MYAlias).
Best regards, 73 de J, MØIPU YOЗFCA

Julian

Tks Lynn. I am not sure. I believe is just a case of 'classical TNC', like Kantronics for ex, where the tocall has to be entered (right now I can't remember where, in the UNPROTO field?) by the user after carefully examining Bob's tocall list. I purchased a Kantronics KAM-XL few years ago, when I first started my adventure into packet world, but could not find a tocall for  it. I remember I posted a msg on the now APRS 'sk' Yahoo group and Bob promptly determined one, APNKMX.
The developers for these pactor modems can be found here: https://www.scs-ptc.com/en/Impress.html They are probably some telecommunications super-gurus, tele-moving objects, satellites and planets like Yoda. I have to admit I haven't contacted them yet. Also, I am not a tester, only a humble user.
The tocall in this PTC case is truly entered in the path. Now, I am gonna attach a pic with an Alpha4 screenshot. It's basically its APRS window on the HF APRS QRG picking up some frames etc. I have dotted the printscreen with some settings inserts. As I mentioned already, this is some sort of host/terminal program. All you can see in the settings is/are arguments sent to the relevant commands in the PTC unit (sent, of course, along with the commands), nothing more. Some settings are left as default as they are not relevant to APRS.
These modems are used in 99.99% of the cases as Pactor modems, as their initial goal.
In the pic: APZSCS as, well..., an 'experimental' tocall.

Best regards, 73 de J, MØIPU YOЗFCA

Julian

SCS has actually  come back to me in a vy reasonable amount of time. Pretty impressive, compared to other packet radio and the like eqp manufacturers who/which, when contacted, never reply - sharing from own experience - to any reasonable, of course, question.
The reply in SCS case was swift, to the object, but negative. There is also silence on the APRS side, so, I am guessing the matter looks pretty much buried for now.
Tnx fer help Lynn.
73 and best regards de J, MØIPU YOЗFCA (QRTing on this matter)