Tile Set Storage #poll-notice

Lynn Deffenbaugh

How attached are you to map tile storage in an OSM-compatible file hierarchy?  Do you share tiles outside of APRSIS32?

Results

See Who Responded

Lynn Deffenbaugh

For those that may be wondering where this poll is going, I'm trying to work out how to integrate MBTiles storage into APRSIS32.  I'd really like to cut and switch and auto-convert all existing tile storage to MBTiles databases, but I cannot do this if tile sets are shared outside of APRSIS32.

At the same time, I'm still working on using IPFS to distribute (meta)tiles that are not immediately needed, like prefetches.  I have this (mostly) working in an upcoming version of TestHost(APRSISMO), but of course only for my tile server, although I've got an idea of how to support it for the OSM tile servers as well.

On 8/25/2020 11:02 AM, Lynn Deffenbaugh wrote:

A new poll has been created:

How attached are you to map tile storage in an OSM-compatible file hierarchy?  Do you share tiles outside of APRSIS32?

1. Very attached, I share multiple tile set trees with other programs.
2. Somewhat attached, I sometimes access tile set trees with other programs.
3. Not attached at all, I only share tile sets among APRSIS32 instances.
4. Not attached at all, I never share tile sets anywhere!
5. I share tile sets, but only by manually copying tile set trees around and sure wish this was easier!
6. I know what map tile storage is, but what is an OSM-compatible file hierarchy?
7. What is a tile? I thought that was something that goes on the floor and shower walls.

Vote Now

I have share Tiles with other programs, but REALLY, REALLY like the MBTiles storage.
I'd prefer sharing MBTiles storage files with other apps, but can't control what others do.

Is there a tool (assuming external) for extracting the tiles from the MBTiles that would allow sharing the trees when needed?

On Tuesday, August 25, 2020, 11:05:56 AM EDT, Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

[...]

I'm not aware of a tool, but since I'll likely be writing an importer (tree to MBTiles), it's almost a a no-brainer to write and exporter (MBTiles to tree).

On 8/25/2020 11:22 AM, Rob Giuliano via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Glenn O'Connor

Does MBTiles stand for Milton-Bradley Tiles and can I buy a box of those? Is it suitable for ages 3-8?

Glenn-KF0ED

[...]

LOL, I should have included the following links in the PS along with the IPFS.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/MBTiles

https://github.com/mapbox/mbtiles-spec

and just to continue the semi-related topic

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiled_web_map

On 8/25/2020 11:48 AM, Glenn O'Connor wrote:

[...]

Thanks Lynn.

On aprsdirect.com, which I use more frequently than”.fi”, I’ve noticed on that site’s rendering of  vector or raster sets, there’s now no difference of each. Either that’s because of Leaf or because I’m North America, according to Per.

[...]

Hal Mueller

I believe that GDAL can convert to/from.

Hal
N3YX

On Aug 25, 2020, at 8:32 AM, Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

I'm not aware of a tool,

David Shrum

I think you left out one option for the few people in this group like me;

I don’t care – it doesn’t matter to me option. 😊

Dave N8PU

[...]

Just to be clear - Board Walk and PArk PLace will be the most expensive

On Tuesday, August 25, 2020, 11:48:43 AM EDT, Glenn O'Connor <ka0lnr37@...> wrote:

[...]

Michael Wright

Just to be clear - Board Walk and PArk PLace will be the most expensive
but those tiles have incredible detail, all the way down to the individual blades of grass. Of course file size is huge and need definite highspeed internet to download.

Mike K6MFW

Greg D

Hi Lynn,

So, to clarify, this only relates to the internally-managed tile storage, and is independent of where those tiles come from.  Right?

I do use different map data sources, for different kinds of maps.  OSM is just one; others include USGS Topo, Mapquest Aerial, etc.  If we're not affecting the use of other maps, and getting more efficient tile management (disk space, especially), that works for me.

Greg  KO6TH

Lynn Deffenbaugh wrote:

[...]

You are correct Greg, it's only the local storage and not the source.  As long as the source does OSM-compatible tiles, then the new MBTiles storage format works.  And as a bonus, it will track real server-supplied expirations instead of arbitrary local deleting on age.

And for my tile server, it will handle meta-tile fetching (64 tiles in a single file) and IPFS transport of those meta-tiles.

Lynn Deffenbaugh wrote:

[...]

Fred Hillhouse

I voted for number 1. I have several applications that use the tiles and wherever possible I share the directories.

I understand the use of MBTiles. However, most of my applications (APRS, activity tracking, general mapping, Geocaching) on the phone all keep their own repository which is unfortunate. I am thankful that most are using a more efficient storage system. I would like to be able to break out the tiles if moved to the Windows PC.

Fred N7FMH