Tile fetching


Frederic Thisdele
 

Hi group and Lynn,

This sathurday, I'll be using APRSIS32 offline (without internet access) for an national earthquaqe exercice and need to fetch tiles for an entire region. Is there a way to fetch othen than having to scroll the region before leaving? Having to scroll 4 x 6 miles square at different levels is taking quite some time. Multiply this by 3 different tile set (osm, world street maps and world imagery), I'll be here for ever.

I would love to be able to fetch my entire region but what will be the volume of tiles and how much space it will take on the pc hard drive. I think tiles are plain images compare to maps that are vector images.

Thanks for any solutions.

73

Fred VE2ONR


vince <vince83687@...>
 

Yes Lynn and group.

Yea how could this be done offline. Can one retrieve tiles by way of RF in the software program?
Thanks
---
-During World War 1 & 2. Hams could not do what in the USA?
- In the movie Contact, what was Ellie's CallSign?
73 Vince KD7TWW ":>
Thank you for your reply...


On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 11:31 PM Frederic Thisdele ve2onr@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@...> wrote:
 

Hi group and Lynn,

This sathurday, I'll be using APRSIS32 offline (without internet access) for an national earthquaqe exercice and need to fetch tiles for an entire region. Is there a way to fetch othen than having to scroll the region before leaving? Having to scroll 4 x 6 miles square at different levels is taking quite some time. Multiply this by 3 different tile set (osm, world street maps and world imagery), I'll be here for ever.

I would love to be able to fetch my entire region but what will be the volume of tiles and how much space it will take on the pc hard drive. I think tiles are plain images compare to maps that are vector images.

Thanks for any solutions.

73

Fred VE2ONR


James Ewen
 

I’ve been able to fetch tiles for the whole province of Alberta right down to street level manually within about 5 minutes maximum. 

That’s a fairly large area in a short amount of time, and with a fairly slow network access. Define “forever”. 

There is no way to fetch tiles via RF on the APRS network. One tile would overwhelm the network for many minutes, let alone hundreds of tiles. 

James
VE6SRV

On Oct 1, 2019, at 12:39 AM, vince vince83687@... [aprsisce] wrote:


Yes Lynn and group.

Yea how could this be done offline. Can one retrieve tiles by way of RF in the software program?
Thanks
---
-During World War 1 & 2. Hams could not do what in the USA?
- In the movie Contact, what was Ellie's CallSign?
73 Vince KD7TWW ":>
Thank you for your reply...


On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 11:31 PM Frederic Thisdele ve2onr@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@...> wrote:
 

Hi group and Lynn,

This sathurday, I'll be using APRSIS32 offline (without internet access) for an national earthquaqe exercice and need to fetch tiles for an entire region. Is there a way to fetch othen than having to scroll the region before leaving? Having to scroll 4 x 6 miles square at different levels is taking quite some time. Multiply this by 3 different tile set (osm, world street maps and world imagery), I'll be here for ever.

I would love to be able to fetch my entire region but what will be the volume of tiles and how much space it will take on the pc hard drive. I think tiles are plain images compare to maps that are vector images..

Thanks for any solutions.

73

Fred VE2ONR


Frederic Thisdele
 

hi James,

I'm don't want to fetch tiles via rf, I whant to do it with internet at home before leaving to the exercice.

How have you fetch the entire province of Alberta in 5 minutes? Did you zom in at max level and scroll around to fetch everything?

When I say forever, I meen it took me about 2 hours to fetch the south portion of Montreal at street level for the 2018 marathon (I've scrolled the screen following a gpx track).

Thanks.


Greg D
 

James probably has a better way to do this, but what I do is first turn off the tile purging, then zoom to the overall area I want to fetch, then do a prefetch.  Both of these are under Configure -> Map.  I believe the prefetch grabs the current zoom level and another couple below that.  It does not dive all the way to the lowest detail all at once.  For the detail areas, I zoom in on the area of interest, and do another prefetch.

Greg  KO6TH


Frederic Thisdele ve2onr@... [aprsisce] wrote:

 

hi James,

I'm don't want to fetch tiles via rf, I whant to do it with internet at home before leaving to the exercice.

How have you fetch the entire province of Alberta in 5 minutes? Did you zom in at max level and scroll around to fetch everything?

When I say forever, I meen it took me about 2 hours to fetch the south portion of Montreal at street level for the 2018 marathon (I've scrolled the screen following a gpx track).

Thanks.



James Ewen
 

Have you read this page?


I was running on a network connection with 10 Mbps download speed, and could fetch all the tiles on screen within a few seconds. 

This gets everything at the current view level and two levels closer in. 

Zoom level 20 is ridiculously close, I never go that close in. Below is level 20 on the OSM mobile site. 



Below is level 18, which if you were looking at in APRSISCE/32, prefetch would get tiles down to level 20. Level 18 is still far closer than I would ever need to us for APRS. 


Below is level 16. This is high enough resolution for my needs when tracking people on APRS, even for a walk/run/cycle race. 



I can prefetch those tiles at zoom level 14. I can scroll around all of Edmonton on my APRSISCE/32 instance with maybe 8 stops total. Just stop and wait for the circle to stop expanding before moving to your next location. 

If you are doing large areas, remember that the prefetch gets the current level and 2 below. You don’t have to run over the same area at each zoom, just every three levels. If it’s really slow, watch a movie, or have a coffee and visit with your family while occasionally poking at your computer. 


James
VE6SRV

On Oct 2, 2019, at 9:20 AM, Frederic Thisdele ve2onr@... [aprsisce] wrote:


Frederic Thisdele
 

Hi James,

No I didn't read this page and thanks for pointing me on this function. This is going to save me alot of time. Even if it's been more than 6 years I'm using APRSIS32, there's so many features I didn't took the time to read about. It's a good reminder for everobody : RTFM ... loll I'll follow your instructions and copy the procedure in my APRSRS32 reference book for offline use and teaching.

Lynn, I know I'm not the first to tell you but APRSIS32 is realy an awsome software. Thanks for supporthing the comunity and for the tremendous hours you spent programming.

Cheers.

Fred VE2ONR