Start up whoos


DonM <morrisdon69@...>
 

When I start up aprsis32 It does not remember my call or my last map. Is that the way it works?

73 Don K0OZ


Lynn Deffenbaugh
 

You must start APRSIS32 with the same default directory each time. It stores all configuration information in a file called APRSIS32.XML in the current directory. This directory must be writable by the program for it to save the configuration there.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSIS32 for Windows

DonM wrote:

When I start up aprsis32 It does not remember my call or my last map. Is that the way it works?

73 Don K0OZ


DonM <morrisdon69@...>
 

Okay that did it.

Thanks,
Don K0OZ

--- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh" <kj4erj@...> wrote:

You must start APRSIS32 with the same default directory each time. It
stores all configuration information in a file called APRSIS32.XML in
the current directory. This directory must be writable by the program
for it to save the configuration there.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSIS32 for Windows

DonM wrote:
When I start up aprsis32 It does not remember my call or my last map. Is that the way it works?

73 Don K0OZ


DonM <morrisdon69@...>
 

How did aprsis32 know that you answered my post? When I tried to close it it told me that I had a reply to my message. That is way cool.

Don K0OZ

--- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh" <kj4erj@...> wrote:

You must start APRSIS32 with the same default directory each time. It
stores all configuration information in a file called APRSIS32.XML in
the current directory. This directory must be writable by the program
for it to save the configuration there.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSIS32 for Windows

DonM wrote:
When I start up aprsis32 It does not remember my call or my last map. Is that the way it works?

73 Don K0OZ


David Shrum
 

I've used it to send a message, kind of handy.

Dave N8PU

-----Original Message-----
From: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com [mailto:aprsisce@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
Of DonM
Sent: Monday, January 04, 2010 7:35 PM
To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [aprsisce] Re: Start up whoos

How did aprsis32 know that you answered my post? When I tried to close it
it told me that I had a reply to my message. That is way cool.

Don K0OZ

No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 9.0.725 / Virus Database: 270.14.124/2598 - Release Date: 01/03/10
04:41:00


Lynn Deffenbaugh
 

Dave's pretty quick! That's exactly what I did. As I've mentioned in the past, I keep a copy of APRSIS32 running with u/APWW*/APWM* in the filter text. This gives me packets from anyone running APRSISCE (APWW*) or APRSIS32 (APWM*) as shown on http://www.aprs.org/aprs11/tocalls.txt

When I saw K0OZ show up, I sent a quick APRS message to you telling you about the reply. There really wasn't any direct connection except through my fingertips.

If you have sound on your PC and don't have it muted (I keep mine that way too often), you should have heard a sound when the message arrived and the "No Msg" would have changed to a green background with my callsign in it. If there are any non-acknowledged outbound messages or unread incoming messages when you close the client, it warns you about them so you don't miss them.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

David Shrum wrote:

I've used it to send a message, kind of handy.

Dave N8PU

-----Original Message-----
From: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com [mailto:aprsisce@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
Of DonM
Sent: Monday, January 04, 2010 7:35 PM
To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [aprsisce] Re: Start up whoos

How did aprsis32 know that you answered my post? When I tried to close it
it told me that I had a reply to my message. That is way cool.

Don K0OZ


g4ilo
 

--- In aprsisce@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh" <kj4erj@...> wrote:

If you have sound on your PC and don't have it muted (I keep mine that
way too often), you should have heard a sound when the message arrived
and the "No Msg" would have changed to a green background with my
callsign in it. If there are any non-acknowledged outbound messages or
unread incoming messages when you close the client, it warns you about
them so you don't miss them.
I presume unchecking the "Sound" option disables this. I don't have sound on my shack computer because the sound card is used for digimodes on the radio.

The message handling in APRSIS32 is one of the really good features of it. UI-View32 did not handle messaging properly. It did not retry messages with an increasing delay until acknolwledged. So it is good to have a Windows client that does messaging properly.

The only thing I miss is that I can't see how to recall messages that have been received once you have looked at them, if for example you want to reply to them later.

Julian, G4ILO
G4ILO's Shack: www.g4ilo.com


Lynn Deffenbaugh
 

g4ilo wrote:

I presume unchecking the "Sound" option disables this. I don't have sound on my shack computer because the sound card is used for digimodes on the radio.

The Enables/Sound option disables certain sounds like the ack received,
GPS fix acquired, and APRS-IS connection acquired. However, anything
that displays a message box will follow Windows's over-all sound
settings as there isn't a programmatic flag (that I can find) to disable
the sound of a MessageBox() call.

The message handling in APRSIS32 is one of the really good features of it. UI-View32 did not handle messaging properly. It did not retry messages with an increasing delay until acknolwledged. So it is good to have a Windows client that does messaging properly.
The decaying retry was actually a fairly recent addition. I really like
it when communicating with local RF clients, it has dramatically
improved the deliverabilty of messages to mobiles. I've got a few
finishing touches to do to it on the KISS side of things (as recommended
by Bob) where I'm not necessarily limited by the 30 second (default)
dupe detection of the APRS-IS. That dupe detection is why the first
retry occurs in 31 seconds (the extra second is to try to avoid having
the first retry suppressed due to slight timing differences between the
client, and APRS-IS server, and the communications path between them).
The only thing I miss is that I can't see how to recall messages that have been received once you have looked at them, if for example you want to reply to them later.

An "already-read" message buffer and dialog is also on the ToDo list.
Right now, I just go back to aprs.fi to see my previous messages when I
accidentally (or sometimes on purpose) read one and say "No" when I
really wanted to reply....

Thanks for the feedback! It helps me adjust priorities to work on
things that people are asking for without having to guess what would be
the most beneficial.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ