Topics

SmartBeaconing (was: Which Log is for the Data-Port?)

Lynn Deffenbaugh

SmartBeaconing is a Kenwood radio thing and not APRSIS32, so I'm not sure why it is mentioned in the context of the packet scroller and (presumably) telemetry settings.  Unless you meant GeniusBeaconing?

GeniusBeaconing only affects position beacons generated by APRSIS32 and really only applies if you have a GPS source and are planning to be mobile.  For a fixed station, I recommend checking the "Time Only" checkbox in the Configure / GeniusBeaconing dialog.  This will cause APRSIS32 to only use the Max Time setting for position beacons.  Otherwise, drifting GPS locations can cause a lot of redundant beacons that make your "fixed" station appear to be wondering all over your lot and sometimes down the street.

Would you be able to provide a link to Randy's "great three page PDF"?

On 11/15/2019 9:12 AM, KD7YZ Bob wrote:
One screenshot of the Scroller shows my ubiquitous Beacon. I have yet to tell it that I am not testing batteries. But anyway, I left it in SmartBeaconing .... as per one of a dozen GREAT PDF's recommended by people. Randy has a great three page PDF which got me "going" on this lashup, BTW .

--
73
Bob KD7YZ

James Ewen

Just me being pedantic...

SmartBeaconing (tm) was developed on the HamHUD by Steve Bragg KA9MVA and Tony Arnerich KD7TA. just before the turn of the century... (can we say that now so we sound like old timers?)

SmartBeaconing (tm) was picked up and implemented on the TinyTrak by Byon Garrabrant N6BG,  and also on the Opentracker By Scott Miller N1VG .

Much later Kenwood implemented SmartBeaconing (tm) based on the work that was done on the HamHUD.

Oh for the good old days! Back then we were actively working on tweaking settings in TNCs, learning how the digipeater network worked in depth, and creating the basis for the current digipeater network settings. If you wanted a fancy mobile APRS dispay, you made it yourself. I even contributed some code to the HamHUD that lives in the HamHUDs that still exist. (I just found mine in my move!).

Oh my, I'm turning into one of those old fogey ham radio operators that I used to listen to complaining about how new hams just go out and buy fancy store bought stuff, when they had to build their own spark gap transmitters out of old chicken wire! :)

I get it now...

James
VE6SRV

On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 7:54 AM Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:
SmartBeaconing is a Kenwood radio thing and not APRSIS32, so I'm not
sure why it is mentioned in the context of the packet scroller and
(presumably) telemetry settings.  Unless you meant GeniusBeaconing?

GeniusBeaconing only affects position beacons generated by APRSIS32 and
really only applies if you have a GPS source and are planning to be
mobile.  For a fixed station, I recommend checking the "Time Only"
checkbox in the Configure / GeniusBeaconing dialog.  This will cause
APRSIS32 to only use the Max Time setting for position beacons.
Otherwise, drifting GPS locations can cause a lot of redundant beacons
that make your "fixed" station appear to be wondering all over your lot
and sometimes down the street.

Would you be able to provide a link to Randy's "great three page PDF"?

On 11/15/2019 9:12 AM, KD7YZ Bob wrote:
> One screenshot of the Scroller shows my ubiquitous Beacon. I have yet
> to tell it that I am not testing batteries. But anyway, I left it in
> SmartBeaconing .... as per one of a dozen GREAT PDF's recommended by
> people. Randy has a great three page PDF which got me "going" on this
> lashup, BTW .
>
> --
> 73
> Bob KD7YZ
> AMSAT LM #901

Michael Wright

used to listen to complaining about how new hams just go out and buy fancy
store bought stuff, when they had to build their own spark gap transmitters
out of old chicken wire!
from stuff I read when CW was the high tech because its waves were continuous enabling much lower bandwidth, but there were still die-hards insisting on maintaining proven technology, "Spark Forever!"

Lots of interesting discussion of various APRSISCE features, thanks for writing about these.

Mike K6MFW