Setting up Direwolf on Raspberry Pi 4

Michael Wright

I have a Raspberry Pi 4, I recently installed Wine and was able to run APRSIS32 (I was able to copy OSMTiles folder from my PC and APRSIS32 runs great, but no connection to radio).

I am using SignalinkUSB, I configured my APRSIS32 like I have it on my PC. I was able to install Direwolf but when I run it this message "could not open audio device..."

I have these set on my direwolf.conf file, anyone suggest a remedy?

Thanks, Mike K6MFW

FIRST AUDIO DEVICE PROPERTIES

ADEVICE plughw:1,0
ACHANNELS 1

CHANNEL 0 PROPERTIES

CHANNEL 0
MYCALL K6MFW
MODEM 1200

VIRTUAL TNC SERVER PROPERTIES

AGWPORT 8000
KISSPORT 8001

Other stuff though I'm not planning to igate at this time.

Lynn Deffenbaugh

This question would better be asked in the Direwolf support forum.

On 9/21/2021 11:57 AM, Michael Wright wrote:
[...]

Fred Hillhouse

Yes, join the Direwolf group!
https://groups.io/g/direwolf

In the meantime:
On the RPi, type "aplay -l"
This will tell you the card assigned to the Signalink.

I recently had a thread about card 2/card 1. There is a link there with discussion on Alsa. Good reading.

Best regards,
Fred N7FMH

[...]

Direct to the post and link:
https://groups.io/g/direwolf/message/5584

[...]

True, or any Linux forum.
The answer is most likely group permissions.

Any installation of Linux with amateur radio should add the key users to the following groups (many may already be setup by default):
    dialout:x:20:direwolf,pi
    audio:x:29:pulse,direwolf,pi                (I add direwolf here, but probably not necessary)
    plugdev:x:46:pi

NOTES:
1. Pi is the default Raspberry Pi user.  If you are logged in under a different username, include that
2. numbers after the x: are default group numbers fro Ubuntu (and mixes).  Most are common through Linux.

Good place to start.

On Tuesday, September 21, 2021, 12:03:09 PM EDT, Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

This question would better be asked in the Direwolf support forum.

On 9/21/2021 11:57 AM, Michael Wright wrote:
> I have a Raspberry Pi 4, I recently installed Wine and was able to run APRSIS32 (I was able to copy OSMTiles folder from my PC and APRSIS32 runs great, but no connection to radio).
>
> I am using SignalinkUSB, I configured my APRSIS32 like I have it on my PC. I was able to install Direwolf but when I run it this message "could not open audio device..."
>
> I have these set on my direwolf.conf file, anyone suggest a remedy?
>
> Thanks, Mike K6MFW
>
> FIRST AUDIO DEVICE PROPERTIES
>
> ADEVICE plughw:1,0
> ACHANNELS 1
>
> CHANNEL 0 PROPERTIES
>
> CHANNEL 0
> MYCALL K6MFW
> MODEM 1200
>
> VIRTUAL TNC SERVER PROPERTIES
>
> AGWPORT 8000
> KISSPORT 8001
>
> Other stuff though I'm not planning to igate at this time.

Fred Hillhouse

Hi Mike,

Cool! I am interested in this! I didn't realize (or don't remember) this is possible.

"I have a Raspberry Pi 4, I recently installed Wine and was able to run APRSIS32 - Mike K6MFW"

I will have to investigate!

Thanks!

Best regards,
Fred N7FMH

I'm kind of surprised WINE on even a Pi 4 is responsive enough. But yes, APRSIS32 runs fine under WINE under *nix machines.

On 9/21/2021 1:40 PM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:
Hi Mike,

Cool! I am interested in this! I didn't realize (or don't remember) this is possible.

"I have a Raspberry Pi 4, I recently installed Wine and was able to run APRSIS32 - Mike K6MFW"

I will have to investigate!

Thanks!

Best regards,
Fred N7FMH

Fred Hillhouse

I didn't think it was possible since this is an ARM processor. On a standard PC, I knew it could.

Fred N7FMH

I'm kind of surprised WINE on even a Pi 4 is responsive enough. But yes,
APRSIS32 runs fine under WINE under *nix machines.

On 9/21/2021 1:40 PM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:
Hi Mike,

Cool! I am interested in this! I didn't realize (or don't remember) this is possible.

"I have a Raspberry Pi 4, I recently installed Wine and was able to run APRSIS32 - Mike K6MFW"

I will have to investigate!

Thanks!

Best regards,
Fred N7FMH

I am ALSO VERY interesting, but suspicious, since APRSIS32 was compiled for an x86 (x86_64) processor.
What extra libraries are required to enable code compiled in this manner to function on an ARM64 processor?
DO they have updated instruction for WINE to do that?

On Tuesday, September 21, 2021, 01:40:30 PM EDT, Fred Hillhouse <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:

Hi Mike,

Cool! I am interested in this! I didn't realize (or don't remember) this is possible.

"I have a Raspberry Pi 4, I recently installed Wine and was able to run APRSIS32 - Mike K6MFW"

I will have to investigate!

Thanks!

Best regards,
Fred N7FMH

Michael Wright

I cannot answer this specific question, I'm a Linux newbie but able to muddle my way through it. Terminal command window reminds me of my early times with CP/M and MS-DOS.

RPi-4 is a Model B with 8 GB ram, I think the OS is Raspian. These RPi boxes look perfect for APRS stations as much of the time it runs for a very long time doing just APRS.

I began by installing Box86 according to this video "How to Install Box86 and Wine on Raspberry Pi OS" by Luke'sTech,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT17OQNiGcA

I had to figure where to put aprsis32.exe in what folder, I was able to simply put my OSMtiles folder copied from my PC so when I entered in terminal window "wine aprsis32.exe" it came right up just like in the PC. I have to cd to appropriate directory. However with no soundmodem nothing happens but it is already to go.

To install direwolf, I forget exactly how I did it. I have various direwolf files and folders here and there, not all are in one folder in the Wine folder. That might be my problem. I installed it using part of what was described here by Chris Titus Tech,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmOdA5GeSqs

and thanks for mentioning the direwolf group and the link to the particular page on getting sound configured (wow, a lot of steps). I think once this gets going, I'll have a winner.

I went to purchase another RPi, I saw most sites don't have stock and leadtime of 52 weeks. I manage to order one from Canakit and should be in by tomorrow!

thanks for the help!

Mike

--- kb8rco=yahoo.com@groups.io wrote:

I am ALSO VERY interesting, but suspicious, since APRSIS32 was compiled for an x86 (x86_64) processor.What extra libraries are required to enable code compiled in this manner to function on an ARM64 processor?
DO they have updated instruction for WINE to do that?

Rob Giuliano

So, you actually running APRSIS32 under Box86 with WINE.
Does Box86 have any network interface?
   Any app like "ping" would give some indication.

If so, I suggest running Direwolf under the normal Pi (Raspian) and use4the network interface (KISS Port or AGW port) to connect to APRSIS32.exe.  This will allow the Direwolf to interface with the Pi hardware easier.

On Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 20:59, Michael Wright
<mfwright@...> wrote:
[...]

I don't know of network interfaces, I've just begun with this. Actually I don't really know the gory details of how it works on Windows, I managed to get it to work with some assistance from Arnold KQ6DI. Once it gets "connected" then easy to start up again.

I suggest running Direwolf under the normal Pi (Raspian) and use4the network
I'll check that out.

Thanks for the help. Mike

PS: It is surprising the top end RPi is only about $100. It may not have certain conveniences but at that cost it makes it very desirable for specific applications. In fact at work while examining some internal model numbers for low level signal conditioning amplifier equipment, I noticed an interface board has a RPi on it. Applications engineer said they found these very convenient because it provides ethernet connection and data processing so they can focus on core performance of their product. They wrote their own firmware but with the RPi I assume it saved them considerable work and expense by avoiding royalty fees to that place in the Pacific Northwest. Otherwise without my personal experience none of our people in our division would have known of this item that also has a SD card (we have to manage and audit all memory items in our facility equipment).

Matt 9V1MH/VK2AMH/YF2AAH

Direwolf will also run on a PiZero - have done this for APRS igate/repeater. for a basic idea of how se DL1GKK site - also the Direwolf documentation has a poile of good documents on running aprs igates etc - you will find these documents in the ":documents" folder or on the github site

Michael Wright

I have lots to read, gets kind of overwhelming but also exciting because eventually I can become one of those Linux/APRS dudes. In general I'm getting more of a understanding how these elements work together. Right now I have a couple other events this weekend (swing dance formation on Sat, ballroom dance showcase on Sunday).

I ordered and received another RPi4, my plan is to use two for upcoming Parachute Mobile mission held in conjunction with Pacificon on Oct 16. One will run APRSIS32, the other UI-View to observe a local weather box (wind direction and speed for skydiver under canopy). But also will use these for APRS or whatever ham radio, experiments, etc.

Unit that I've been working with I may remove entire DW and start off fresh. Right now, it seems I've got duplicate files here and there adding to confusion.

thanks for the suggestions, Mike K6MFW

--- matthoward.sg@outlook.com wrote:

Direwolf will also run on a PiZero - have done this for APRS igate/repeater. for a basic idea of how se DL1GKK site - also the Direwolf documentation has a poile of good documents on running aprs igates etc - you will find these documents in the ":documents" folder or on the github site

Rob Giuliano

So you were able to get APRSIS32 to run under Box86 and WINE?

I just installed Box86 and WINE on a Raspberry Pi4, but have not been able to get it working.
    Box86 with Dynarec v0.2.3
    WINE V5.21
It starts, I enetred all the needed infomration, but freezes with most of the are map showing.
Unfortunately, no error messages.  I am assuming some kind of graphics problem.
Are you usiong winetricks to do any special setup?

On Thursday, September 23, 2021, 06:04:08 PM EDT, Michael Wright <mfwright@...> wrote:

[...]

I got it working, but it is in a window that is about 1024x768 and I can't expand it.
Running
    Box86 with Dynarec v0.2.3
    WINE V5.21
Direwolf is NOT running in WINE, but compiled V1.7A for the Pi.
Normal interface (TCP/IP KISS on localhost:8001).

Currently running with no radio and passcode of -1 (for testing), but it appears you can run APRSIS32 on a Raspberry Pi!

On Thursday, September 23, 2021, 10:20:49 PM EDT, Rob Giuliano via groups.io <kb8rco@...> wrote:

[...]

I don't specifically know what steps I took but I got APRSIS32 to run under Box86 and Wine, and able to change window size. However, I didn't note what size I expanded to fill in the screen. Busy with other stuff, I may start with the new RPi4 next week, make a log of what steps taken.

Overall looks like a good system for aprs as much of the time it runs continuously, I've done that with my 20 year old XP tower, feed the VGA output downstairs and put it on the big monitor to see who's cruising around south SF bay. But a small lowpower RPi seems a much better platform to use.

Mike

Rob Giuliano

I've attached my steps - never been one to watch a video, when a nice list of instructions will do.
It mostly works!
A few issues to iron out:
1.  There are issues with communication between Direwolf (not running in WINE) and APRSIS32 (running in WINE).
     I am guessing IPTables need to be tweaked.  I'll try that later this weekend.
2. Maps don't seem to load from the internet.  Could be same issue (IPTables)
3. Haven't try an serial attached TNC.
    Should be similar to other Linux methods.
    BTW, my current method is UDEV rules to create links from ttyUSB# to ttyS# which are already linked to WINE COM#.

I hope the text file posts!

On Friday, September 24, 2021, 12:13:18 AM EDT, Michael Wright <mfwright@...> wrote:

>I got it working, but it is in a window that is about 1024x768 and I can't expand it.

I don't specifically know what steps I took but I got APRSIS32 to run under Box86 and Wine, and able to change window size. However, I didn't note what size I expanded to fill in the screen.  Busy with other stuff, I may start with the new RPi4 next week, make a log of what steps taken.

Overall looks like a good system for aprs as much of the time it runs continuously, I've done that with my 20 year old XP tower, feed the VGA output downstairs and put it on the big monitor to see who's cruising around south SF bay. But a small lowpower RPi seems a much better platform to use.

Mike

Michael Wright

I've attached my steps - never been one to watch a video, when a nice list of instructions will do.
Thanks for putting in the time. I think most do a video because it is easy, sitting down and putting it in writing takes a lot of time. At a SETI conference, Adam Savage as guest speaker said difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.

The text file attached fine, it also showed in the message body (some extra line breaks) but the txt file is handy. It also shows the number of steps, or how involved it is when having ownership. Like owning your own wireless device (ham radio) you have to do some configuration to make it work. But you can tailor to fit your needs. It gets tedious but once done it screams without having to annually pay fees and be forced into upgrades.

Kind of going off on a philosophical tangent, it seems to me there are two kinds of people. Those that totally know Linux inside and out. Others that ain't got a clue (that's my impression). But I know it is an operating system with no need to pay license fees and one can make changes to the source code (I would have no idea what to do but no need to do that anyway). Linus Torvalds has said "There are the visionaries that look up at the clouds, stare and the stars thinking I want to go there. But I'm looking at the ground and wants to fix the pothole that's right in front of me so I don't fall in."

Mike

Michael Wright

There are issues with communication between Direwolf (not running in WINE)
and APRSIS32 (running in WINE).
Rob, any news on this?

I haven't got around to install Direwolf yet.

I followed your steps to install Wine, it worked. A couple things that came up. First I had error when doing this command,
cmake .. -DRPI4ARM64=1 -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo

I solved by installing cmake,
sudo apt-get install cmake

I noticed these errors on "wine wineboot" and "wine wincfg" commands. I could not find wincfg.exe on my RPi4.

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ wine wineboot
Box86 with Dynarec v0.2.3 b30a0717 built on Oct 3 2021 12:13:50
Box86 with Dynarec v0.2.3 b30a0717 built on Oct 3 2021 12:13:50
Box86 with Dynarec v0.2.3 b30a0717 built on Oct 3 2021 12:13:50
0064:err:ole:start_rpcss Failed to start RpcSs service
Box86 with Dynarec v0.2.3 b30a0717 built on Oct 3 2021 12:13:50
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ wine wincfg
Box86 with Dynarec v0.2.3 b30a0717 built on Oct 3 2021 12:13:50
Box86 with Dynarec v0.2.3 b30a0717 built on Oct 3 2021 12:13:50
Box86 with Dynarec v0.2.3 b30a0717 built on Oct 3 2021 12:13:50
0050:err:ole:start_rpcss Failed to start RpcSs service
0024:err:module:process_init L"C:\\windows\\system32\\wincfg.exe" not found
pi@raspberrypi:~ $

Mike K6MFW