Sending a message to a group

g4ilo

I would like to send an APRS message that would be received by anyone who wants to receive it. The only way I know how to do this is for everyone who wants to receive the message to tell me their call-ssid and I send the message individually to each of them.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that it is possible to send a message to a group name and individuals can then choose to receive those messages. For example it appears people can choose to receive NWS messages. But I can't find any information on how to do it. Is my recollection correct, and if so how do I go about it? And is anything special needed to originate a message to the group as distinct from receiving it?

Julian, G4ILO

Lynn Deffenbaugh

The only "group" APRS messaging feature that I'm aware of is via the CQSRVR. If you and everyone else send a message to the CQSRVR with an agreed-up group ID, every subsequent message sent to that group will be sent to all members. However, CQSRVR does have a minimum time limit for any single message sender to the group.

See CQSRVR documentation at:

http://www.aprs-is.net/CQSrvr.aspx

Maybe there's another "group messaging" feature in the Kenwood firmware or UI-View, but I'm not currently aware of it and haven't noticed it in any of the APRS specs that I've read.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ