Send Message by RF?

Clifford - N0LKC

I am curious about something.  I am only moderately familiar with APRS and have been away from it for a couple of years.  I operate portable nomadic and low power all year, usually on HF.  I dug out my APRS KISS TNC and got APRSIS32 running again.  All seems OK again from what I see, I am beIng received by digipeaters in a rural area in MT. I am frequently without the net, often in more remote locations and any assumption of a having the internet available is flawed and is the very reason that I am involved in radio so strongly.

I am trying to send a RF message via APRS as I have done in the past.  This is the crux and value of APRS to me if I need to contact someone in a radio comm environment only.  I have no luck now and all testing is indicating that the internet is now required for me to communicate with another station with my equipment (KISS TNC, low power, PC APRS software).  I have found one post to the effect that this seems to be in place.

Is this correct?  I hope I am wrong as it negates the primary value of radio communication in my case.  I do not need to know where stations are as much as I need the capability to communicate by RF if the need arises (and it does).
Has RF message capablilty by APRS been negated in some fashion, or am I missing something here?  If it is the case, then the value of APRS in the future is very questionable  with me, beyond looking at a pricey Yaesu that looks like it serves this function.

Thank you kindly for any information or updates on this situation. Best regard, CEC, N0LKC

Kent Petty

You don't need internet to send chat messages to another locally reachable RF station.

Must be a setting g or something.

Regards,

Kent, KL5T

On Fri, Jun 17, 2022, 14:21 Clifford - N0LKC <cec102@...> wrote:
[...]

Lynn Deffenbaugh

In APRSIS32, when you bring up the Chat dialog to send an APRS message to another station, there should be a checkbox on the lower left that says "RF Only".  This checkbox will only be enabled if you have configured and enabled a working RF port in APRSIS32.   The checkbox is actually tri-state and will say different things on the check as well as the Send button as you toggle through it.  The logic goes like this.

You can do -IS messaging if you have Internet Enabled, and APRS-IS Enabled, and Xmit and Messages enabled on the APRS-IS port.

You can do RF messaging if you have at least one RF-type port that has Xmit and Messages enabled AND you have NOT checked Enables / Ports / Receive-Only.

If you can do both RF and IS messaging, then you get one of three choices:

Checkbox says "RF Only" and is checked - Button will say "Send RF"
Checkbox says "RF Only" and is unchecked - Button will say "Send IS"
Checkbox says "Best" and is tri-state - Button will say "Send".

If you can only do IS messaging, the checkbox will say "RF Only", but will be unchecked and disabled.  The button will say "Send IS".

If you can only do RF messaging, the checkbox will say "RF Only", but will be checked and disabled.  The button will say "Send RF".

The "Best" option will transmit the message on -IS always, but will also send it via all suitably enabled RF ports if the station was recently heard on an RF port.  If all retries are exhausted and APRSIS32 goes into its second round of Final retries, then it will transmit both on the -IS and all suitably enabled RF ports regardless of whether the station was heard recently on an RF port.

On 6/17/2022 5:40 PM, Clifford - N0LKC wrote:
[...]

Greg D

How big is the message, and what sort of message "inbox" does the person on the other end have?

With the use of APRS, I am presuming it's pretty short (something a bit less phone SMS length).  If so, and if you can hit an iGate (Internet Gateway) via one of the digipeaters, then you can certainly send a message to someone else.  If they have a cell phone, and you know their phone number and provider, each provider has a gateway where you can send a message to their phone.  Alternatively, there is an email gateway to send a traditional (but short) email to their regular in-box.

The key to both is that iGate.  Once you have that, see:  https://smsgte.org/ and http://www.aprs-is.net/Email.aspx for SMS and Email, respectively.

My wife and I have used both to message our family while we were on a vacation to what would normally still be considered "civilization", only our cell provider didn't (at least at the time) appear to think so.  All I needed was my Kenwood TH-D7A.

Good luck!

Greg  KO6TH

Clifford - N0LKC wrote:

[...]

This is all great, thanks for the good information.  Something just changed for the better but I have no idea why... I turned everything off and disconnect and went over to try and get my packet equipment working again and made progress but no stations in the area it seems.  So I went back to the APRS problem of no transmitting of RF messages, even though the TNC was clearly transmitting position info to an accessible digipeater.  I do remember the primary symptom I was seeing was that no RF port was available in the send dialog, even though the RF port was transmitting elsewhere just fine it seems.

So, honestly, all I did was reconnect my cables completely from scratch and antennas and start the program up again.  I made no changes in any settings to my knowledge, and I had started and restarted the software many times over before.

But the good news is, it is now transmitting with the send dialog box, and the RF port and ack boxes show up as I recall them to be.

I did get part of a short message out MT to W. WA. on my 5 watts so I regard it all a success again, I just don't know why! I will keep an eye on things as you can suspect, but for now I am in the running again.

I will keep these messages in reference in case the issue does arise again, but admittedly I have no idea what actually was happening here.

Best regards, and thanks again, CEC N0LKC

Erwin OE1EKG

Hi Greg,

tks for the detailed explanation. I have a TH-D74 too and successful send an receive messages via APRS - and it runs great. It‘s a pity that most of the people use APRS for position data transmitting.

I was not able to send SMS (format in international writing - ie for Austria 0043 number?) or email (how to use the necessary shortcuts and how to create them) with my TH-D74. The hints on both websites you wrote are not clear concerning the syntax - can‘t get it to run.

Any hints for me?

73 de Erwin, OE1EKG

Adam Mahnke

See if this video helps at all

73
Adam
KC2ANT

On Sat, Jun 18, 2022, 02:04 Erwin OE1EKG <erwin.grabler@...> wrote:

Hi Greg,

tks for the detailed explanation. I have a TH-D74 too and successful send an receive messages via APRS - and it runs great. It‘s a pity that most of the people use APRS for position data transmitting.

I was not able to send SMS (format in international writing - ie for Austria 0043 number?) or email (how to use the necessary shortcuts and how to create them) with my TH-D74. The hints on both websites you wrote are not clear concerning the syntax - can‘t get it to run.

Any hints for me?

73 de Erwin, OE1EKG

Randy Allen

Check out the APRS SMS Gateway:  https://smsgte.org/

One nice feature is that it allows you to set up aliases that allow you to send messages with fewer keypresses on the radio to stored numbers.

They discuss expanding to other countries, but I do not know if Austria is one of them.

Hope this helps

73

Randy KA0AZS

Jack L. Blake Sr (AI4LL)

Erwin, I also have the Kenwood D74 and have used it successfully for aprs through the ISS. How did you get yours to work with aprsisce? Have you been able to use the bluetooth on the D74 to connect to the software on your computer ? I can get it to pair, but it never does anything. Would like to know your setup? Thanks DE AI4LL
Jack L. Blake

On Sat, Jun 18, 2022 at 2:04 AM Erwin OE1EKG <erwin.grabler@...> wrote:

Hi Greg,

tks for the detailed explanation. I have a TH-D74 too and successful send an receive messages via APRS - and it runs great. It‘s a pity that most of the people use APRS for position data transmitting.

I was not able to send SMS (format in international writing - ie for Austria 0043 number?) or email (how to use the necessary shortcuts and how to create them) with my TH-D74. The hints on both websites you wrote are not clear concerning the syntax - can‘t get it to run.

Any hints for me?

73 de Erwin, OE1EKG

Greg D

The D74 should show up as a COM port under Windows once it's paired via Bluetooth. I've used it that way on Winlink (Winlink Express), and it should work with APRS as well. You might have to put it in KISS mode manually first; I don't know if the default KISS on/off commands work for this configuration.

Greg KO6TH

--
This space for rent...

Greg D

Hi Erwin,

I guess I'm not surprised that SMS might be a problem, given the gateway is in the US (so international messaging could be a factor), but email should work.  You do not need to use an alias for email, though doing so does give more space for your message text.  I did a presentation on APRS to our club a few years ago and it includes some examples using the D74.  See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6R9Fy1cGjQ starting around the 12 minute mark.

Note that the APRS system needs to know where you are in, order for messages to get exchanged.  Be sure to beacon your location before doing any messaging, or the acks and replies may not make it back to you.

Hope this helps,

Greg  KO6TH