scs robust packet TNC

Jean-Pierre Desilets

i want to use my scs robust packet tnc in  kiss mode  with aprsis32 ,
need how to edit aprsis32.xml  to init it  in  kiss mode .
a copy  of the xml file  for  it  will  be apreciate.
tnx
Jean-Pierre  ve2se

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Is this what you're looking for?

http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/tnc-scs-dsp

On 11/1/2018 8:07 PM, jeanpierredesilets@... [aprsisce] wrote:
i want to use my scs robust packet tnc in  kiss mode  with aprsis32 ,
need how to edit aprsis32.xml  to init it  in  kiss mode .
a copy  of the xml file  for  it  will  be apreciate.
tnx
Jean-Pierre  ve2se

Rob Giuliano

First, if your only purpose of the TNC is KISS mode with computer applications, it is common to set the TNC in KISS mode through some external configuration and use a Simply(KISS) port in APRSIS32.  Of course this would require that the TNC remains in KISS mode over power cycles / resets.  If your TNC does not remain in KISS mode after a reset or power cycle, then APRSIS32 can configure the TNC when it opens and closes the RF port.

You will need to review the manual for your model of the SCS Robust Packet TNC to determine:
1. If the TNC holds the KISS mode over power cycles
2. The commands required enter KISS mode and to exit KISS mode.

What to look for in the manual:
Search the manual (assume the PDF is searchable) for "KISS".  You should find the needed information, such as:
   Some TNC's use the INTerface command to change the TNC interface with the computer.  Something like INT KISS
   Others only require a simple command like "K" or "@K"
Don't forget to continue reading to find how to exit KISS as well

With #2, you can edit the XML's and replace the OpenCmd and CloseCmd with the commands from your manual.

I recommend starting with a Simply(KISS) port and editing the commands from there:
Example:
  ~!!0
  ~!!0
These are in Send ! Expected Response ! Time delay with the "!" to separate these commands.
In the above, the "~" suppresses the carriage return after the "empty command" to ensure nothing is sent.

So, from here we determine if more lines are required.  If so, just copy the line you need extra of.
Then edit what is between the > <, leaving the ! in place as the separator.

So 2 examples:
Example 1:
  !cmd:!1
  INT KISS!!2
  ^192^255^192!!0

Example 2:
  @K!!2
  ^192^255^192!!0

In example 1, I removed the "~" so that it will send  and wait for the TNC to send "cmd:" or 2 seconds.
It will then send the INT KISS command with and wait 2 seconds - this allows the TNC to respond.
   NOTE: with most TNCs, KISS mode does not send "anything", so you cannot look for a known response

In example 2, it sends @K (some TNCs use this command for entering KISS mode)
   NOTE:  If APRSIS32 does not like the @ character you can use ^064K)

i want to use my scs robust packet tnc in  kiss mode  with aprsis32 ,
need how to edit aprsis32.xml  to init it  in  kiss mode .
a copy  of the xml file  for  it  will  be apreciate.
tnx
Jean-Pierre  ve2se

Jean-Pierre Desilets

I configure the RFPort as simple kiss , edit aprsis32.xml using Lynn's link . It work ! Tnx guys
73's de Jean-Pierre ve2se

Envoyé depuis ma tablette Samsung

Lynn Deffenbaugh

On 11/3/2018 9:50 AM, jeanpierredesilets jeanpierredesilets@gmail.com [aprsisce] wrote:

I configure the RFPort as simple kiss , edit aprsis32.xml using Lynn's link . It work ! Tnx guys
73's de Jean-Pierre ve2se
Glad to hear it!  I'll have to clean up that wiki page and add links to editing the XML and mention the Simply(KISS) at the start.  Or just add an SCS Tracker port type that supplies those to start with!

Although I'm considering reworking the APRSISCE/32 port support to use XML definition files similar to what I'm doing in APRSISMO. That way users can add their own and they (hopefully) "just work".

macclad44@...

Hi, Robert, what are the ^192^255^192 command doing? I"m unfamiliar with them.  Thanks.
Jeff N7TTQ

Rob Giuliano

Think of it as requesting an interrupt.
The combination of bits is unique and catches the attention of the TNC that the next data is for it, not RF.

On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 5:14 PM, macclad44@...
<macclad44@...> wrote:
Hi, Robert, what are the ^192^255^192 command doing? I"m unfamiliar with them.  Thanks.
Jeff N7TTQ

Wolfgang OH6DL

Hello Jean-Pierre,

you will find a lot of information about use of the tracker on: http://www.robust-packet.net/