Topics

Remembering Settings Across Restart

Gil

Did the issue of not remembering screen (and other) settings across a restart ever get resolved?  I tried to find information in the messages, but all I found was people asking about it and finding out that they couldn't expect them to be saved if the screen was maximized when exiting.  I'm certainly experiencing that issue and I'd sure like to know if I'm doing something wrong.  The screen always starts minimized with the wrong map.  One of my versions has "View All" turned off upon restart and it takes me a while to remember why I'm not seeing any stations on the map.

Can I edit the .xml file to set the parameters I want when starting?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Gil Chapin, WB2UTI

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Make sure the application is NOT maximized when you close it and the settings will be remembered.  If you want it large, then size it large, but not maximized, and then close it.  It should re-open from then on (until you close it in some other size) that way.

The same applies to your View selections because they are actually stored with the screen size.

On 6/9/2020 5:07 PM, Gil wrote:
Did the issue of not remembering screen (and other) settings across a restart ever get resolved?  I tried to find information in the messages, but all I found was people asking about it and finding out that they couldn't expect them to be saved if the screen was maximized when exiting.  I'm certainly experiencing that issue and I'd sure like to know if I'm doing something wrong.  The screen always starts minimized with the wrong map.  One of my versions has "View All" turned off upon restart and it takes me a while to remember why I'm not seeing any stations on the map.

Can I edit the .xml file to set the parameters I want when starting?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Gil Chapin, WB2UTI

Gil

Thanks, Lynn.

I've been playing a bit since I asked about this and I've seen what you're talking about.  I can live with that.  It starts with what I want and I just maximize it.  It restarts with what I want then, too.

Got it.  Thanks.

And, as always, please know how appreciated you are for developing this amazing software.

Gil, WB2UTI

Jeff

Lynn,

In the past I have seen the limitation of APRSIS32 not being able to save settings when maximized. I've never asked, and apologize if it has been explained before, but I was just wondering the reason for that limitation. Is it a "Windows" thing, or something else?

Thanks for all you do to support and improve this software!

73,
Jeff
N5TEV

Lynn Deffenbaugh

IIRC, (it's been a long time since I wrote this particular code), when a windows is maximized or minimized, the Win32 API to get the window position and size returns some really weird numbers. Rather than remember these and have to deal with them on the restart, I simply don't change the remembered windows parameters if the client is closed while maximized or minimized.

Unfortunately, the View settings for the window(s) (including MultiTracks) are attached to the size and position when they are saved resulting in the View settings also not being saved and restored if a client is closed while maximized or minimized.

One of these days (weeks?  months?  years?) I may revisit this issue but every time I think about it I remember the "weight of the installed base".  Doing such a change such that it is backward-compatible (new code honors old saved values), I anticipate being tricky.  But some day I might get inspired to joust with that particular dragon (or tickle it's tail: see definition 3 from https://tinyurl.com/ydfnzs3s)