Recommendations on a Windows CE Phone to run APRSIS-CE

Craig Leventhal

Anyone have recomendations on a smartphone which uses Windows CE so I can run APRSIS-CE? I currently have Verizon Wirelss as my carrier and my phone is up for renewal. I saw Verizon has HTC Ozone, has anyone run APRSIS-CE on this phone?

Lynn, Why did you have to write a good APRS applications which runs on Windows CE and makes me want to get a Smartphone...lol

73

Craig - KI6WLP

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Current users, please see the PS.

ki6wlp wrote:
Anyone have recomendations on a smartphone which uses Windows CE so I can run APRSIS-CE? I currently have Verizon Wirelss as my carrier and my phone is up for renewal. I saw Verizon has HTC Ozone, has anyone run APRSIS-CE on this phone?
Actually, you're looking for a Windows Mobile phone. My recommendation would be to make sure you get one with at least a 4 way rocker (up/down, left/right) and a slide-out keyboard if you plan to do a lot of APRS messaging. Touchscreen is, IMHO, an absolute necessity, not just for APRSISCE, but also for the other "productivity" apps (like Solitaire). A uSD card slot is also a good idea to hold your OSMTiles.

Lynn, Why did you have to write a good APRS applications which runs on Windows CE and makes me want to get a Smartphone...lol
I set out to write one for my own use and then decided it was coming out pretty good so I decided to open it up a bit. The initial users found it useful, so I decided to go wide open and throw it out to the world for their use. I think it's working out pretty well!

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - If you like it, tell a friend, if you don't, please tell ME!

PS. There's a database in the Yahoo group, but I had trouble getting the security right. See if you can go to the following URL and put your usage info in there: If you can, please do so. If not, please e-mail KJ4ERJ@arrl.net with what it tells you.

73

Craig - KI6WLP

David Shrum

"You are not a moderator of the group aprsisce."
That is what I got with the URL.

Lynn, are you asking how often and/or how long we use it?

Dave N8PU

PS. There's a database in the Yahoo group, but I had trouble getting
the security right. See if you can go to the following URL and put your
usage info in there: If you can, please do so. If not, please e-mail
KJ4ERJ@arrl.net with what it tells you.

03:33:00

Steve <sbd64000@...>

Same here for myself

David Shrum wrote:
"You are not a moderator of the group aprsisce."
That is what I got with the URL.
Maybe try this link: and then click on the DB name from there:

Lynn, are you asking how often and/or how long we use it?
No, just Call Sign, Name (optional, but then, we're all in a license database somewhere), phone/device, VHF/UHF/HF TNCs, Other, and what software you use to drive that -SSID. Usage I can get simply by monitoring the -IS feed for APWW*/APWM*. But I'm looking to build up a list of what hardware is in use so other's can see what works.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

Dave N8PU

PS. There's a database in the Yahoo group, but I had trouble getting the security right. See if you can go to the following URL and put your usage info in there: If you can, please do so. If not, please e-mail KJ4ERJ@arrl.net with what it tells you.

03:33:00

David Shrum

You are not a moderator of the group aprsisce.

Same results.

Dave N8PU

"You are not a moderator of the group aprsisce."
That is what I got with the URL.
Maybe try this link: and then click on the DB name from there:

Lynn, are you asking how often and/or how long we use it?
No, just Call Sign, Name (optional, but then, we're all in a license
database somewhere), phone/device, VHF/UHF/HF TNCs, Other, and what
software you use to drive that -SSID. Usage I can get simply by
monitoring the -IS feed for APWW*/APWM*. But I'm looking to build up a
list of what hardware is in use so other's can see what works.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

03:33:00

Krzysiek <kk_011@...>

Lynn,

is there or will be ever the possibility to scroll map without touchscreen?
I have Samsung SGH-i600 smartphone with WM 5.0 and your app works fine form me except map scrolling which doesn't work at all as I have no touchscreen. It has more limitations like to small screen so some fields in configuration panes are not visible, but this is not the big issue.

Maybe there could be a way to enable this feature with some keys like 2-up, 8-down, 4-left, 6-right or so?
If no, I fill forced to buy new smartphone ;-).

Second thing, which was maybe listed somwhere eariler is searching for particular call sign.
For me it could be editable field allowing me to enter call sign with search button.

Even if both issues you answer negative I really appreciate your effort and enthusiasm and thank you.
--
Regards,

Krzysztof (just Chris)
SQ5NWI

necessity, not just for APRSISCE, but also for the other
"productivity" apps (like Solitaire).

Norbert <ve4hto@...>

I have it on my Verizon Imagio. No Problems so far, just to say the continous dataconnection drains the batterie if the phone is running without external power.
73
Norbert VE4HTO