Receiving using a Kenwood TH-D74 via Bluetooth


Mike K5MRH
 

New to the APRSISCE and trying to get it configured to use my Kenwood TH-D74 over bluetooth. I created a port for it and I am able to get it to transmit over the radio. I see others reporting the packet I sent when I look for my callsign on aprs.fi. I am not however able to get the app to decode packets. I have the tried with the TNC in the radio set to both APRS12 and KISS12 modes and I'be configured the PC OUTPUT setting to raw packets. I see a message here from 2016 suggesting from XML file might be needed for it, but I don't know where to get them. Any help would be great. Thanks.
--
Mike K5MRH


Mike K5MRH
 

Of course as soon as I sent that, I realized that the radio isn't decoding the packets either, so I think I may just have a reception problem. Still if anyone has any tips or configuration suggestions for the TH-D74 when please pass them along.
--
Mike K5MRH


K3RWN
 

This is how mine is setup.   You may want to give it a try

the PCOUTPUT in the APRS menu may need to be off.  Mine is off

In the Config Menu use these settings

Under Interface

USB Function COM+AF/IF OUTPUT

PC OUTPUT GPS - BLUETOOTH

PC OUTPUT APRS - BLUETOOTH

KISS - BLUETOOTH

Rich

 

On 5/4/2020 19:47 PM, Mike K5MRH wrote:
New to the APRSISCE and trying to get it configured to use my Kenwood TH-D74 over bluetooth. I created a port for it and I am able to get it to transmit over the radio. I see others reporting the packet I sent when I look for my callsign on aprs.fi. I am not however able to get the app to decode packets. I have the tried with the TNC in the radio set to both APRS12 and KISS12 modes and I'be configured the PC OUTPUT setting to raw packets. I see a message here from 2016 suggesting from XML file might be needed for it, but I don't know where to get them. Any help would be great. Thanks.
--
Mike K5MRH


Mike K5MRH
 

Thanks. I did have those set that way. I'm getting better reception now and it's all working, so that must have been my issue. Interesting, it seems to work the same whether I have the PCOUTPUT option the APRS menu set or not.
--
Mike K5MRH


K3RWN
 

You may be hearing back.   I usually just monitor traffic and watch friends being spotted on the map.   I am not sure that I am actually sending my location via the radio.  I need to verify that.  Too late to check tonight but I will tomorrow


On 5/4/2020 23:42 PM, Mike K5MRH wrote:
Thanks. I did have those set that way. I'm getting better reception now and it's all working, so that must have been my issue. Interesting, it seems to work the same whether I have the PCOUTPUT option the APRS menu set or not.
--
Mike K5MRH


Fred Hillhouse
 

First off, run the radio with any connections to start. It will encode/decode APRS packets by itself. If that is not working for you then it needs to be fixed first. Once you have it working, then solve the PC connections.

 

Here is a some things that work for me on my D72. It could be different from the D74 but it is a starting place.

 

I programmed location position 1 with my home location. At home I don’t need the GPS. It is handy when I wish to catch a satellite pass to not have to wait for the GPS to figure out where I am. Yeah, I have missed passes because of this. Rainy days slow acquisition.

 

Open the squelch to determine if other stations are active. During this pandemic there is less traffic. This is for your own ears so you know they exists. Once you know other stations are active, add enough squelch to silence the radio. The radio will not send a beacon if it thinks there is a signal. An open squelch keeps the radio from transmitting.

 

Fred N7FMH

 

 

From: APRSISCE@groups.io [mailto:APRSISCE@groups.io] On Behalf Of K3RWN
Sent: Tuesday, May 05, 2020 12:19 AM
To: APRSISCE@groups.io
Subject: Re: [APRSISCE] Receiving using a Kenwood TH-D74 via Bluetooth

 

You may be hearing back.   I usually just monitor traffic and watch friends being spotted on the map.   I am not sure that I am actually sending my location via the radio.  I need to verify that.  Too late to check tonight but I will tomorrow

 

On 5/4/2020 23:42 PM, Mike K5MRH wrote:

Thanks. I did have those set that way. I'm getting better reception now and it's all working, so that must have been my issue. Interesting, it seems to work the same whether I have the PCOUTPUT option the APRS menu set or not.
--
Mike K5MRH




Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com



Fred Hillhouse
 

This is my thoughts on the radio. Get it working before adding a connection to a phone/PC.

Frequency 144.390?

Tone/CTCSS/DCS clear of off?

Do you see APRS 12 on your display?

Do you see BCON on display? This is needed to beacon.

On my D72, the squelch must be closed to allow beaconing.

 

Fred N7FMH

PS. I have a D72 but they are similar.

 

 

From: APRSISCE@groups.io [mailto:APRSISCE@groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike K5MRH
Sent: Monday, May 04, 2020 8:21 PM
To: APRSISCE@groups.io
Subject: Re: [APRSISCE] Receiving using a Kenwood TH-D74 via Bluetooth

 

Of course as soon as I sent that, I realized that the radio isn't decoding the packets either, so I think I may just have a reception problem. Still if anyone has any tips or configuration suggestions for the TH-D74 when please pass them along.
--
Mike K5MRH




Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com



Fred Hillhouse Jr (CruelShoes)
 

Edit: get the radio running first WITHOUT any connections to other devices (e.g, laptop).


On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 10:11 AM Fred Hillhouse <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:

First off, run the radio with any connections to start. It will encode/decode APRS packets by itself. If that is not working for you then it needs to be fixed first. Once you have it working, then solve the PC connections.

 

Here is a some things that work for me on my D72. It could be different from the D74 but it is a starting place.

 

I programmed location position 1 with my home location. At home I don’t need the GPS. It is handy when I wish to catch a satellite pass to not have to wait for the GPS to figure out where I am. Yeah, I have missed passes because of this. Rainy days slow acquisition.

 

Open the squelch to determine if other stations are active. During this pandemic there is less traffic. This is for your own ears so you know they exists. Once you know other stations are active, add enough squelch to silence the radio. The radio will not send a beacon if it thinks there is a signal. An open squelch keeps the radio from transmitting.

 

Fred N7FMH

 

 

From: APRSISCE@groups.io [mailto:APRSISCE@groups.io] On Behalf Of K3RWN
Sent: Tuesday, May 05, 2020 12:19 AM
To: APRSISCE@groups.io
Subject: Re: [APRSISCE] Receiving using a Kenwood TH-D74 via Bluetooth

 

You may be hearing back.   I usually just monitor traffic and watch friends being spotted on the map.   I am not sure that I am actually sending my location via the radio.  I need to verify that.  Too late to check tonight but I will tomorrow

 

On 5/4/2020 23:42 PM, Mike K5MRH wrote:

Thanks. I did have those set that way. I'm getting better reception now and it's all working, so that must have been my issue. Interesting, it seems to work the same whether I have the PCOUTPUT option the APRS menu set or not.
--
Mike K5MRH




Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com




--
Best regards,
Fred N7FMH