Rd transmission from my transceiver

Robert D. York <kf4ffn@...>

When should I see transmission indication on my tnc and txcvr while on APRSISCE?

Lynn Deffenbaugh

When APRSISCE/32 transmits, of course!  Open and enable the Transmit trace log and then hit the Transmit menu option.

Maybe also read: http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:transmitting

On 6/14/2021 11:34 AM, Robert D. York wrote:
When should I see transmission indication on my tnc and txcvr while on APRSISCE?

Robert D. York <kf4ffn@...>

When I hit transmit my callsign pops up in the vertical log but nothing happens with the tnc and it's radio. No rf.

On Mon, Jun 14, 2021, 10:49 AM Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

When APRSISCE/32 transmits, of course!  Open and enable the Transmit trace log and then hit the Transmit menu option.

Maybe also read: http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:transmitting

On 6/14/2021 11:34 AM, Robert D. York wrote:
When should I see transmission indication on my tnc and txcvr while on APRSISCE?

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Read http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:transmitting

and check what all it says there.  As well as viewing and enabling both the Transmit trace log and Port(<YourPortName>).

And we will be needing to know what TNC, radio, and port type you have configured in APRSISCE/32 to go further with the diagnosing.

On 6/14/2021 12:08 PM, Robert D. York wrote:
When I hit transmit my callsign pops up in the vertical log but nothing happens with the tnc and it's radio. No rf.

On Mon, Jun 14, 2021, 10:49 AM Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

When APRSISCE/32 transmits, of course!  Open and enable the Transmit trace log and then hit the Transmit menu option.

Maybe also read: http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:transmitting

On 6/14/2021 11:34 AM, Robert D. York wrote:
When should I see transmission indication on my tnc and txcvr while on APRSISCE?

Robert D. York <kf4ffn@...>

Ok, so the rf is being tx by APRSISCE saving my tnc/trncvr for what?

On Mon, Jun 14, 2021, 10:49 AM Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

When APRSISCE/32 transmits, of course!  Open and enable the Transmit trace log and then hit the Transmit menu option.

Maybe also read: http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:transmitting

On 6/14/2021 11:34 AM, Robert D. York wrote:
When should I see transmission indication on my tnc and txcvr while on APRSISCE?

Rob Giuliano

These are a few things that would prevent transmission:
1. TNC interface mode
     APRS clients work best when the TNC is in KISS mode.
     If the clent expects KISS, but the TNC  is not in KISS no TX
     NOTE: typically no RX in this state.

2. Squelch control
     The TNC controls the actual TX when the frequency is clear.
     That is determined by squelch control.
      Most work best using an algorithm that looks for the packet tones.
      Open radio squelch, and on the TNC use CD Tones (or comething like that).
     Here the TNC shows TX, but radio will not activate PTT.

3. Wiring from TNC to radio.
     a) PTT wiring incorrect
          Here the TNC shows TX, but radio will not activate PTT.
     b) Audio wiring incorrect
          Here Radio TX indicated, but no TX audio

4. Wiring from TNC to computer.
     Many of the older TNCs expect hardware flow control when in KISS mode.
     If the TNC expects hardware flow control, but the computer is not using it,
     the computer won't prooerly send the data to the TNC.  no TX.

Some things to look for.

On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 12:09, Robert D. York
<kf4ffn@...> wrote:
When I hit transmit my callsign pops up in the vertical log but nothing happens with the tnc and it's radio. No rf.

On Mon, Jun 14, 2021, 10:49 AM Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

When APRSISCE/32 transmits, of course!  Open and enable the Transmit trace log and then hit the Transmit menu option.

Maybe also read: http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:transmitting

On 6/14/2021 11:34 AM, Robert D. York wrote:
When should I see transmission indication on my tnc and txcvr while on APRSISCE?

Robert D. York <kf4ffn@...>

Ok, well done ✅ You have provided information I needed for self identification of my mistake. How much do I owe you?

On Mon, Jun 14, 2021, 11:13 AM Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

Read http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:transmitting

and check what all it says there.  As well as viewing and enabling both the Transmit trace log and Port(<YourPortName>).

And we will be needing to know what TNC, radio, and port type you have configured in APRSISCE/32 to go further with the diagnosing.

On 6/14/2021 12:08 PM, Robert D. York wrote:
When I hit transmit my callsign pops up in the vertical log but nothing happens with the tnc and it's radio. No rf.

On Mon, Jun 14, 2021, 10:49 AM Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

When APRSISCE/32 transmits, of course!  Open and enable the Transmit trace log and then hit the Transmit menu option.

Maybe also read: http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:transmitting

On 6/14/2021 11:34 AM, Robert D. York wrote:
When should I see transmission indication on my tnc and txcvr while on APRSISCE?

Lynn Deffenbaugh

What makes you think the RF is being transmitted by a computer program?  And how would you think said RF would get to an antenna?

APRSISCE/32 runs on the PC and sends a packet via RS-232 (mostly) to a TNC which converts that packet to AX.25 format (unless it is a KISS interface) for transmission over the air.  The AX.25 packet has bit-stuffing added, and is the converted, still in the TNC, to audio tones which are sent, along with the PTT signal (although some TNC->Radio connections use VOX) to the Radio which contains the actual modulator, transmitter, amplifier and connection to the antenna.

On 6/14/2021 12:18 PM, Robert D. York wrote:
Ok, so the rf is being tx by APRSISCE saving my tnc/trncvr for what?

On Mon, Jun 14, 2021, 10:49 AM Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

When APRSISCE/32 transmits, of course!  Open and enable the Transmit trace log and then hit the Transmit menu option.

Maybe also read: http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:transmitting

On 6/14/2021 11:34 AM, Robert D. York wrote:
When should I see transmission indication on my tnc and txcvr while on APRSISCE?

Robert D. York <kf4ffn@...>

Please define [INT] and [IS+RF] provided in Trace(Transmit) log

On Mon, Jun 14, 2021, 10:49 AM Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

When APRSISCE/32 transmits, of course!  Open and enable the Transmit trace log and then hit the Transmit menu option.

Maybe also read: http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:transmitting

On 6/14/2021 11:34 AM, Robert D. York wrote:
When should I see transmission indication on my tnc and txcvr while on APRSISCE?

Lynn Deffenbaugh

[INT] is an "INTernal" transmission used to propagate information strictly inside APRSISCE/32.

[IS+RF] is a packet that would like to be transmitted on both APRS-IS and RF ports, but only if said ports are actually enabled for transmitting the specific type of packet.

The Port(<YourPortName>) enabled and viewing is the next place to look for why a packet may not be getting to your TNC.

On 6/14/2021 12:39 PM, Robert D. York wrote:
Please define [INT] and [IS+RF] provided in Trace(Transmit) log

On Mon, Jun 14, 2021, 10:49 AM Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

When APRSISCE/32 transmits, of course!  Open and enable the Transmit trace log and then hit the Transmit menu option.

Maybe also read: http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:transmitting

On 6/14/2021 11:34 AM, Robert D. York wrote:
When should I see transmission indication on my tnc and txcvr while on APRSISCE?

Robert D. York <kf4ffn@...>

Thanks Sir, the problem has been resolved thanks to your questions and direction.

On Mon, Jun 14, 2021, 12:04 PM Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

[...]

Can you fill us in on the resolution so that others that may have the same problem won't have to go through so many questions to get to the answer?

On 6/14/2021 1:07 PM, Robert D. York wrote:
[...]

I reset tnc several times as I discovered suggestions from the APRS community. Which required hard reset or jumper rotation.
So I learned the significance of getting everything done before switching to KISS mode.
The APRSISCE software is another hurdle that will some practice.
Today you taught me how to get to Trace(transmit) and your suspension of port error was right on que.
Since I've learned the maze of deleting an undesirable port.
Thanks again for your help.