problems with my PTC-IIpro

giuseppe menga <menga@...>

I’m returning to the modem PTC-IIpro after a long time.

AIRMAIL

When I power my PTC-IIpro connected to the radio (power is coming from the radio), at first all lights on the left briefly blink first red then green. On the right the green light briefly blink indicating that is connected the extension 1,  I have for packet.

Then after all lights switch off.

On the message window  the sequence

DSP READY

BOOT PR-1

Appears.

Then the only repetitive message is

AUTOBAUD

Press CR

When some signals were present on the radio I was used to see some of the lights indicating the tuning of  pactor blinking, now everything is dead.

The computer see the serial port, however, from Airmail I cannot change the frequencies.

APRISIS32

For RPR when I start APRISIS32 the modem correctly goes in KISS mode. The program say that every thing is correct. Now the lights of the tuner blink, I hear clearly the bursts of the incoming messages, however the program doesn’t recognize them.

There are only three possibilities:

  1. the modem is broken
  2. the cable/connectors transferring the data from the radio are failed (not the power)
  3. Because of the long time, I forgot some operation at the start.

Can you help me, and suggest the experiments to perform for finding the failure.

In particular, how to test the presence of signals in the connection with the radio.

73

Giuseppe

IZ1GCL

Rob Giuliano

I am not all that familiar with the PTC-IIpro.

Although I understand the comments are to highlight the issue, for problems with AIRMAIL I suggest posting in a dedicated forum.  Main thing here appears to be that the computer and modem are talking.

For APRSIS32, you indicate:
a) Your modem goes into KISS mode
      Are you sure? Did you check the RF port logs to be sure?
b) The program says everything is correct.
      An OK for an RF port in the top left corner isn't a good indicator everythin is okay.
      This just indicates APRSIS32 can open the computer's COM port - not in use by something else.
c) Lights blink. AND you hear bursts of incoming message.
      How do you hear the "bursts" if the cable is connected tot eh TNC?  (Data port on the radio in use?)

You don't list any <OpenCmd> commands used to put the modem in KISS mode - or is that done outside of APRSIS32?

A few troubleshooting options:
1. Have you opened a LOG for the RF port and made sure you didn't have any error
    messages there (specifically missin <C0>)?  Posting any messages could help!
2. Does anything show up in a Terminal program (like TeraTerm or TerMite)?
    This may not be readable if the TNC is in KISS mode
3. Does the TNC key the radio and transmit audio when connected to other programs (Terminal)?

I am pretty sure that APRSIS32 is only able to TX on PR-1 in KISS mode, unless you can control the KISS stream in a different way.

On Wednesday, June 2, 2021, 7:36:34 PM EDT, giuseppe menga <menga@...> wrote:

[...]

AE7G

The PTC-IIpro is a PACTOR modem.  That particular modem can handle PACTOR 1 through 3.   Mail programs like AIRMAIL and WINLINK are set up to work with PACTOR.

I am not aware that a PACTOR modem will work with APRS.

[...]

According to the PTC-IIpro manual I downloaded, this is a multi mode modem which includes AFSK 1200 or 2400 baud, as well as FSK for 4k8, 9k6 and above. The manual had an APRS section.

On Wednesday, June 2, 2021, 8:52:12 PM EDT, AE7G <gthornton@...> wrote:

[...]

Don Poaps

I used my SCS-PTC 111ex years ago with Robust Packet. I also used it
with UiView, and APRSIS. I had to put the TNC into a kiss mode. I used
it also on the 14.105 packet frequency with HF packet BBS.

73
Don Poaps
New Westminster, BC
VA7DGP DATA
VA7QU VOICE

Winlink: va7qu@winlink.org
Subject://wl2k

ALLSTAR 530780
HH# 5971
HH# 11384
Alberta Mesh# 5404

On Wednesday, June 2, 2021, 7:36:34 PM EDT, giuseppe menga <menga@formerfaculty.polito.it> wrote:

[...]

the modem is broken
the cable/connectors transferring the data from the radio are failed (not the power)
Because of the long time, I forgot some operation at the start.

Can you help me, and suggest the experiments to perform for finding the failure.

In particular, how to test the presence of signals in the connection with the radio.

73

Giuseppe

IZ1GCL

giuseppe menga <menga@...>

Thank Robert for the answer.

For KISS mode, the PTC-IIpro has a window that shows KISS.

Can you explain me how to check the RF port logs?

You may be correct about a real communication between the modem and the computer, in spite of the OK in the APRISIS32 up left corner, in fact, if I try to send a message the rado do nothing.

Finally I hear the burst of the incoming messages directly from the loudspeaker of the radio. The IC-706, I use, send the audio signals at the loudspeaker, as well as the ACC port connected to the modem.

Giuseppe

IZ1GCL

giuseppe menga <menga@...>

YES, by adding an optional  board to the PTC-IIpro you can do RPR in KISS mode

Giuseppe

IZ1GCL

Rob Giuliano

There are 2 methods to open an RF port log:
1. From Menu >Enables >Logging >Port( {PTC port name} )
2. From Menu >Enables >View Log >Port( {PTC port name} )
    Then click Enable at top left
They both end up the same - a new text box that should show everything happening on that port.
   If you hit Menu >Transmit (from the main screen), you should see something like:

Port(PTC):2021-06-03T02:08:48.062 Sent[90]:<C0 00 82 A0 AE AE>bb<E0 96 84>p<A4 86 9E>`<AE 92 88 8A>d@e<03 F0>@020848h4209.34N/08346.27W-APRSIS32 XUbuntu 20.04  WINE 5.0!wc0!<C0>

or an ERROR message

Each time you hear a packet through the speaker, you should see a new line in the text box, or an error message.

That should give us something to help troubleshoot with.