Port Error

Michael McKenzie

I can no get GPS data on the bottom of the display. The NMEA Log shows that APRS32 tried to open COM6 (only one available in a Win 10 Tablet) Opening with 4 Args, Got 1 Error 5, then repeats endlessly.
What is Error 5?

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Error 5 typically means that the specified COM port is already open in another program.  Are you sure COM6 is actually your GPS?  Have you tried opening it from a terminal emulator to see if it gives you NMEA sentences?

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

On 11/9/2021 9:23 AM, Michael McKenzie wrote:
I can no get GPS data on the bottom of the display. The NMEA Log shows that APRS32 tried to open COM6 (only one available in a Win 10 Tablet) Opening with 4 Args, Got 1 Error 5, then repeats endlessly.
What is Error 5?

Michael McKenzie

Yes, I used Putty for that and Putty shows a constant stream of data coming in. Device Manager shows only COM6 available.

Min

Personally I find that Windows screws with drivers to ports every time there is an update and have do a search to correct the issue it has caused.

I’ve seen ports work of but then not in Windows traced down to driver issues.

Min G0JMS

From: APRSISCE@groups.io [mailto:APRSISCE@groups.io] On Behalf Of Michael McKenzie
Sent: 09 November 2021 15:39
To: APRSISCE@groups.io
Subject: Re: [APRSISCE] Port Error

Yes, I used Putty for that and Putty shows a constant stream of data coming in. Device Manager shows only COM6 available.

Michael McKenzie

Does it matter that I have and am running Win 11? Device Manager still shows COM 6 as the only active port on the Tablet, and is the only selection on Configure/General/NMEA Port Configuration Menu.

Min

Hi Michael

Sorry don’t know Win 11.

This is what I do for Win 10 to search for the old driver if it’s been changed by windows.

1.       Open Device manager

2.       Select Port in ports

3.       Right Click and select update driver

4.       Select browse computer for drivers.

5.       Select “Let me pick from a list”

6.       You can select what you think is the correct driver (If it was working before and you know what it should be).

7.       Install selected driver.

8.       PC normally says it wants to reboot (but it doesn’t seem to need a reboot for it to work).

Windows may remove drivers due to age, not certified by MS.

Good luck with resolving your problem.

Min G0JMS

From: APRSISCE@groups.io [mailto:APRSISCE@groups.io] On Behalf Of Michael McKenzie
Sent: 09 November 2021 16:01

Does it matter that I have and am running Win 11? Device Manager still shows COM 6 as the only active port on the Tablet, and is the only selection on Configure/General/NMEA Port Configuration Menu.

Michael McKenzie

Device Mgr says the COM6 Port Driver is working properly. It is the same one as I had used before.

Min

Yes it can say that it working OK and it’s the best thing since sliced bread……   but it still can be a driver issue, it will tell you that it’s the best, but it may not be suitable to what you plugging in…

That’s my finding with Windows.

Sent: 09 November 2021 16:29

Device Mgr says the COM6 Port Driver is working properly. It is the same one as I had used before.

Michael McKenzie

SOLVED. Found a second port I had set up when I first began to learn APRSIS32 that was stealing the GPS signal coming in. I have it working now with a good Internet stream on the left and Green, Red, Yellow satellite strength indicators on the bottom of the display.
Thank you for trying to help me solve this issue. Something said sparked something to check things. I was unable to remove the port, but used the COM Port in the "blank" area to avert the signal to the COM6 I am using.

Min

Glad you have sorted it J

Min G0JMS

Sent: 09 November 2021 16:41

SOLVED. Found a second port I had set up when I first began to learn APRSIS32 that was stealing the GPS signal coming in. I have it working now with a good Internet stream on the left and Green, Red, Yellow satellite strength indicators on the bottom of the display.
Thank you for trying to help me solve this issue. Something said sparked something to check things. I was unable to remove the port, but used the COM Port in the "blank" area to avert the signal to the COM6 I am using.