OverLand question

Ryan - N7WAA - 3143494 - WREL204 - 2NA283

I have read through a few of the posts some dating back to 11'. So I feel I'm in the right place or at least getting close.

So here is my inquiry. I am slowly building a 85' Bronco to go play in the woods with. I am looking for a gps solution to track my location and have the XYL also see where I am, when out of cell service.

I have a dedicated Icom IC-2100 and a microsoft surface so far for this project.

My understanding is a Tiny Tracker 4 in KISS mode will pass GPS info to APRSISCE/32. is this correct and will it still do it via BlueTooth?

and will APRSISCE still work with 2-way messaging via RF only?

Granted I have no idea if I will even be able to get into a Digipeater/Igate but we do have a few around on some bigger hills in Western Washington.

worse case if I break down I will have HF supplied via a IC-7100 for winlink.

73

Ryan

N7WAA

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Yes, and probably yes.

With the proper configuration, APRSIS32 can pick up GPS data through the TinyTrak4.

As long as you are within strong simplex range, and the TT4's RXAMP is tuned for proper decoding, then RF-only messaging should work.  With digipeaters and/or IGates in the mix, and depending on the activity on the APRS frequency in the area, it may or may not be reliable.

On 3/18/2022 5:24 PM, Ryan - N7WAA - 3143494 - WREL204 - 2NA283 wrote:

[...]

Rob Giuliano

> I have a dedicated Icom IC-2100 and a microsoft surface so far for this project.
   The IC-2100 does not have a data jack, nor does it have audio on the MIC jack.
   You will need two connection to the TT4 to get this radio to work with the TT4:
   1. Mic jack => Can power the TT4 off pin 1, PTT control on pin 4, and PPT Gnd on pin 7, Mic in on pin 6 and MICGND on pin 5.
   2. Audio need to come from the rear speaker jack, and the volume control becomes VERY important in configuring the TT4 for decoding.
Finding a radio with fxed out out in the Data Jack or Mic jack is very beneficial!
There are connections on the mic jack available, if you are comfortable running a wire to the mic to get audio out.
   You will need the service manual to find the audio path and tap the audio before the final amplifier/audio out.

> My understanding is a Tiny Tracker 4 in KISS mode will pass GPS info to APRSISCE/32. is this correct and will it still do it via BlueTooth?
I assume you planning on getting the TT4BT version?
The BT part is just an extension of the connected port, so anything that can be sent out the port will be sent over BT as well.

Getting an good antenna on the vehicle will go a long way in getting your signal to an IGATE (probably through a DIGI).

> worse case if I break down I will have HF supplied via a IC-7100 for winlink.
I am pretty sure the TT4 will not do 300 baud HF packet.
From the TT4 manual:
P300 [ true | false ]
Sets if transmitted packets should be sent at 300 baud, rather than the default 1200
baud. Only 1200 baud packets will be decoded, regardless of this setting

So you will need another TNC for the 7100.

On Friday, March 18, 2022, 07:38:16 PM EDT, Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

[...]

Min

Have a look at the Vero radio VR N7500.
That will do APRS RF and digital in the app that operates it.
Dual band 50w and 40w small radio which can be mounted out of the way and for your needs an Android phone.

I use one on a motorcycle and found the RF worked when the network coverage disappeared.

Min Standen G0JMS

On 18 Mar 2022 21:24, Ryan - N7WAA - 3143494 - WREL204 - 2NA283 <ryan@...> wrote:

[...]

The IC-2100 will be a set it and forget it radio. all my normal comms will be from the IC-7100 which has a build in sound card so no TNC is needed just a USB a-b cable.

So it looks like my next purchase will be the TT4. Thank you for the input.

Ryan - N7WAA - 3143494 - WREL204 - 2NA283

I had looked at VGC in the past, I was looking for something to mount on the jetski but for some reason I overlooked the APRS.

A local ham to me has that radio with the bluetooth mic, it doesn't sound the greatest but it definitely works.

Although I have a S21 Ultra I was looking for a bigger screen for the truck. on the bike or jetski the phone would be okay.

I wonder if Samsungs DEX would work in the scenario.

Carlton Siple KE4BML

Most compact way to achieve this is with JS8CALL running M0AIX utility that beacons to the APRS network at regular intervals. A simple hf rig running on 40M would get it done. A Raspberry Pi running an image by KM4ACK will fit the bill perfectly.
30M APRS also works well. Many maritime stations also can send and receive WinLink which can post position reports.
I have a FT8 Phaser 40M with a Pi. Very compact, and the Pi can be ran headless, so all u need is a phone to access and control. Just my experience, I have used this system on my boat, works great.
 😎

ivan pico revilla

Tnx

Enviado desde mi iPhone

El 19 mar 2022, a las 0:38, Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> escribió:

[...]

Gracias 4 info 73s

Enviado desde mi iPhone

El 19 mar 2022, a las 7:33, Min via groups.io <mins@...> escribió:

[...]

I keep telling everyone I'm too young for FT8 ;) although I'm a few years older than most I'm telling it too :-D

Since the IC-7100 is a single VFO that wouldn't work for me.

But I do keep forgetting about JS8 mostly because I will be driving and it's just easier to send out a email via winlink at the start and finish of each day.

The Surface will be my HUD, but I was thinking about tossing a Pi('s) in with AllStar and or PiStar for when I was connected to the net.