Not Receiving Reports from WXSVR-AU

Peter VK3PYE

Hello all.

Currently I'm using APRSIS32 with Direwolf v1.6 via RF on a Win8.1 PC linked to my 2M FM radio.

I have not been able to receive any messages to requests sent to WXSVR-AU via RF.
I can see that the WXSVR-AU server has tried to respond, as I can see the wx reports it returns by looking at aprs.fi in the messages section.
Tried over many days with no returns via RF.

I am receiving OK from WXBOT when I send a request for a METAR of an airport.
I am receiving OK from WLNK-1 (Winlink) as I can read and send email.
I also have sent out a "CQ" and got a couple of replies !! Top stuff ;-)

Is there a setting in APRSIS32 that I have missed?

Thanks for a very nice APRS program. It's lots of fun.
--
7 3 de Pete VK3PYE / VK3YPE

Lynn Deffenbaugh

If some messages are being gated from APRS-IS, I don't see why other messages wouldn't be gated.

Can you provide exactly which callsign-SSID are the anticipated IGate as well as the RF station which you're using in your tests?

On 11/21/2020 3:45 AM, Peter VK3PYE wrote:
Hello all.

Currently I'm using APRSIS32 with Direwolf v1.6 via RF on a Win8.1 PC linked to my 2M FM radio.

I have not been able to receive any messages to requests sent to WXSVR-AU via RF.
I can see that the WXSVR-AU server has tried to respond, as I can see the wx reports it returns by looking at aprs.fi in the messages section.
Tried over many days with no returns via RF.

I am receiving OK from WXBOT when I send a request for a METAR of an airport.
I am receiving OK from WLNK-1 (Winlink) as I can read and send email.
I also have sent out a "CQ" and got a couple of replies !! Top stuff ;-)

Is there a setting in APRSIS32 that I have missed?

Thanks for a very nice APRS program. It's lots of fun.
--
7 3 de Pete VK3PYE / VK3YPE

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Ah, one more question came to mind:  What is the RF station that you are using.  Yaesu radios cannot handle non-AX.25 -SSIDs.  If you are using a Yaesu APRS radio, you won't get any messages from WXSRV-AU because of the alpha-numeric -SSID.  AFAIK, you can't send to any non -0 (suppressed) through -15 SSID station either.  Kenwood APRS radios do not have this restriction and the APRS specification certainly allows non-AX.25 -SSIDs to be handled successfully in the third party packets and message formats.

On 11/21/2020 8:28 AM, Lynn Deffenbaugh wrote:

[...]

Graham Hunter <grahamhunter61@...>

Did you add the filter    e/WXSVR-AU

Graham Hunter
Cooloola Cove 4580

grahamhunter61@...

On 21 Nov 2020, at 23:46, Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

[...]

Greg Depew

Can confirm Yaesu cannot handle non numeric ssids. Send to     who-15 just fine. Using APRSIS32 to send to who-is Yaesu radios display who-?? on return.

KB3KBR Greg.
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

[...]

Hi Lynn ... here are a couple of screen grabs from the Direwolf window, that I hope can help you ...

This first one shows one of my requests that were sent but not received ... it starts with the line in pink ...

Here is what shows up on "aprs.fi" ...

Here is another request to WXSVR-AU with a different parameter ...

None of the requests sent to WXSVR-AU get returned to my station.

This shows my request to WXBOT being received OK by my station ...

I did a very long email exchange yesterday via APRSLink, almost all the messages get returned via the same repeater, VK3RMD-1.

My setup is, APRSIS32 with Direwolf v1.6 via RF on a Win8.1 PC linked to my 2M FM radio. The radio is an IC-705. But I thought that it was the software doing the work, not the radio? I know about the Yaesu issue, as I have an FT3DR that will not accept the SSID "-AU" ... but that is another story.

@Graham .. where do filters get added?    --> ".. add the filter    e/WXSVR-AU"  .. I can't see a menu item for filters. And what do filters do?

Thank you for you input everyone. It's a fine program.
--

7 3 de Pete VK3PYE / VK3YPE

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Ok, let me see if I have this setup correct.  Your APRSIS32 instance is called VK3YPE and talks through Direwolf to a radio.  VK3YPE has no APRS-IS access itself.  Correct so far?  I tried to confirm this via aprs.fi's raw packets, but apparently you've changed it to VK3YPE-15 sometime yesterday.

It appears that VK3RSA-1 gates your packets to the APRS-IS receiving them simplex (no hops used).  VK3RSA-1 has a ToCall of APMI04 which would make it a MicroSat.  http://www.aprs.org/aprs11/tocalls.txt says "APMIxx  SQ3PLX http://microsat.com.pl/"

In your example that worked, VK3RSA-1 is the source of the 3rd party packet containing the response message from WXBOT.

If all this is true, and you never receive any response from WXSVR-AU on RF, then I would have to say that the IGate functionality in the VK3RSA-1's MicroSat is defective and is not forwarding messages coming from non-AX.25 -SSIDs.

As a possible way to prove or deny this assumption, try sending a callsign lookup to WHO-15 and WHO-IS.   Both of these are implemented in a single APRS-IS-based server.  If you get a response from WHO-15 but not from WHO-IS, then it would definitely seem to indicate an IGate issue.

On 11/21/2020 7:02 PM, Peter VK3PYE wrote:
[...]

Correct on the station setup. The radio is just doing the RF part. My station is capable of using APRS-IS, but I have it disabled while trying to figure out why I'm not receiving return packets from WXSVR-AU. And yes, I have added the "dash 15" to my station callsign. I thought that it may have been why I was not receiving those packets, but it has not made any difference. Still nothing back via RF.

I had also asked the same question to the Australian APRS Users group, and received this reply from "the custodian of the VK3RSA-1 iGate".

-- VK3RSA-1
APRS-!S messages to local RF:
Gate messages to local RF: = Yes
Message path: = WIDE2-1
Local RF heard max. digi-hops: = 2
Local RF heard buffer timeout (m): = 30

Regarding your request : " try sending a callsign lookup to WHO-15 and WHO-IS.", how do I go about doing that

For a quick test, I just enabled APRS-IS and sent a request to the WXSVR-AU server and received this reply ...

So, I can receive the replies via the Internet, but that would not be much use for anyone that is camping away from the city with no Internet available to them.

One other thing that I have just noticed, and I am trying to understand the direwolf output, is that, while the requests to the WXBOT server were returned via VK3RSA-1, and I received those request responses via RF OK, the requests to the WXSVR-AU server, are showing in my screen grabs as coming via VK3RMD-1, so maybe it is VK3RMD-1 that has the issue? Just my thoughts ...

Thanks for your help.
-----
7 3 de Pete VK3PYE / VK3YPE

Lynn Deffenbaugh

To talk to WHO-IS and/or WHO-15, just send an APRS message to that callsign-SSID with a single callsign in the body.  It will respond with information about that call's owner.  If you precede the call with "f " (F space) it will return "full" information. For instance:

23:11:37  New Chat Between KJ4ERJ and WHO-IS on 2020-11-21
23:11:40> VK3PYE
23:11:41< Peter J Edrupt/Australia (*2-23:11:41)
23:11:43> f VK3PYE
23:11:44< VK3PYE:Peter J Edrupt (*2-23:11:44)
        < VK3PYE:Melbourne Australia (*2-23:11:44)

Just do one message to WHO-IS and another to WHO-15.  My suspicion is that WHO-15 will be answered and WHO-IS will not be.

Ask the custodian what software/hardware their VK3RSA-1 IGate is running and where one can get support for said IGate functionality.  And you could ask them to run the same RF test through their IGate so that they themselves see the issue.

The easiest way would be with a Kenwood APRS radio while watching their IGate logs, if it has any with requests sent to WHO-IS and WHO-15.

Of course, as you know, Yaesu APRS radios can only send to AX.25 -SSIDs, so they would never see any issues with WHO-IS (or WXSVR-AU) because they could never initiate the original request.

As for VK3RMD-1, your Direwolf simply heard your own packet digipeated by that station over RF.   The messages are being injected into the APRS-IS by VK3RSA-1 with no paths used, so any other digipeated copies of the same packet will be dropped by the APRS-IS duplicate suppression.

On 11/21/2020 9:59 PM, Peter VK3PYE wrote:
[...]

I have sent off two APRS messages, one to each callsign. Here are the results ...

:-)
--

7 3 de Pete VK3PYE / VK3YPE

Lynn Deffenbaugh

As expected, the one to WHO-15 received a response and WHO-IS did not.  To simplify the test, don't include the "f", but go for the single line response.  And it's only a callsign, but a true amateur radio callsign, that you send, not a full callsign-SSID.  So just sent "VK3YPE" or "VK3PYE" and you should get something like:

07:09:47  New Chat Between KJ4ERJ and WHO-IS on 2020-11-22
07:09:54> VK3YPE
07:09:55< Peter J Edrupt/Australia (*2-07:09:55)
07:10:01> VK3PYE
07:10:01< Peter J Edrupt/Australia (*2-07:10:01)

But of course, we expect your only answer to come from WHO-15, not WHO-IS.

On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 11:11 PM, Lynn Deffenbaugh wrote:
But of course, we expect your only answer to come from WHO-15, not WHO-IS.
Correct. I tried that, and only got a response from WHO-15.

I have learnt a little more about this hobby of ours.

Thanks for your help and the very nice APRSIS32 program.
--

7 3 de Pete VK3PYE / VK3YPE