No GPS on Yaesu FTM 400

Bob Heuer

Hello
I am new to the forum.
I have a Yaesu ftm-400 connected to my laptop running windows 10 and using the SCU-20 USB interface.  APRSIS32 does not recognize the GPS signal from my Ftm-400.  Can somebody steer me in the right direction.
I have acquired 10 satellites on the 400.
Thanks in advance
Bob

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Does the FTM-400 even pass GPS information out through the serial port?  Shut down your APRSIS32 instance and open the port in a terminal emulator and see what information is available.  AFAIK, it's only received APRS packet information.

On 1/5/2022 10:02 AM, Bob Heuer via groups.io wrote:
Hello
I am new to the forum.
I have a Yaesu ftm-400 connected to my laptop running windows 10 and using the SCU-20 USB interface.  APRSIS32 does not recognize the GPS signal from my Ftm-400.  Can somebody steer me in the right direction.
I have acquired 10 satellites on the 400.
Thanks in advance
Bob

Dexter Mobley

I'll have to look at my F3D, But my F1D had a GPS to USB passthrough
buried in the menu. * And so it seems the F3D, so the FTM-400 should
have the same. But I have never tried using the actually radio as the
modem, I Guess that does work, I'll have to try it myself.

On Wed, Jan 5, 2022 at 10:25 AM Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@arrl.net> wrote:

Does the FTM-400 even pass GPS information out through the serial port? Shut down your APRSIS32 instance and open the port in a terminal emulator and see what information is available. AFAIK, it's only received APRS packet information.

On 1/5/2022 10:02 AM, Bob Heuer via groups.io wrote:

Hello
I am new to the forum.
I have a Yaesu ftm-400 connected to my laptop running windows 10 and using the SCU-20 USB interface. APRSIS32 does not recognize the GPS signal from my Ftm-400. Can somebody steer me in the right direction.
I have acquired 10 satellites on the 400.
Thanks in advance
Bob

My older 400 does not output the internal GPS.
It requires an external gps and TNC to supply the data for transmit.
I do not know that has ever changed.

K8MYN. George
HC ARES EC
K8MYN@ARRL.NET
270-505-0326

On Jan 5, 2022, at 12:27, Dexter Mobley <troylink@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Hmm, I might have to modify my statement, on the older FTM-400 (from
the manual), USB can output Packet OR Waypoint (not location). The
FT3D looks like it can output GPS (Location?) or Waypoint - Not Packet
- Looks limited or just broken.

On Wed, Jan 5, 2022 at 12:47 PM George S Leaf Sr K8MYN <gleaf@bbtel.com> wrote:

[...]

James Taylor (AJ0R)

I had to use an external USB-enabled GPS to get my mobile APRS-IS setup to work.  The FTM-400 only output APRS packets from the radio -- no GPS info, as far as I know.

73

Jim
AJ0R

On Wed, Jan 5, 2022 at 9:12 AM Bob Heuer via groups.io <rmh2992=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello
I am new to the forum.
I have a Yaesu ftm-400 connected to my laptop running windows 10 and using the SCU-20 USB interface.  APRSIS32 does not recognize the GPS signal from my Ftm-400.  Can somebody steer me in the right direction.
I have acquired 10 satellites on the 400.
Thanks in advance
Bob

Bob Heuer

Copy that
I cannot see where it outputs GPS info as well.
Thanks

On Jan 6, 2022, at 1:18 AM, James Taylor (AJ0R) <aj0r@...> wrote:

I had to use an external USB-enabled GPS to get my mobile APRS-IS setup to work.  The FTM-400 only output APRS packets from the radio -- no GPS info, as far as I know.

73

Jim
AJ0R

On Wed, Jan 5, 2022 at 9:12 AM Bob Heuer via groups.io <rmh2992=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello
I am new to the forum.
I have a Yaesu ftm-400 connected to my laptop running windows 10 and using the SCU-20 USB interface.  APRSIS32 does not recognize the GPS signal from my Ftm-400.  Can somebody steer me in the right direction.
I have acquired 10 satellites on the 400.
Thanks in advance
Bob

Bob Heuer

Thanks for your reply
Apparently the 400 does not output GPS data.

On Wed, Jan 5, 2022 at 12:47 PM George S Leaf Sr K8MYN <gleaf@...> wrote:

> My older 400 does not output the internal GPS.
> It requires an external gps and TNC to supply the data for transmit.
> I do not know that has ever changed.
>
> K8MYN. George
> HC ARES EC
> K8MYN@...
> 270-505-0326
>

> > On Jan 5, 2022, at 12:27, Dexter Mobley <troylink@...> wrote:
> > I'll have to look at my F3D, But my F1D had a GPS to USB passthrough
> > buried in the menu. * And so it seems the F3D, so the FTM-400 should
> > have the same. But I have never tried using the actually radio as the
> > modem, I Guess that does work, I'll have to try it myself.
> >
> > On Wed, Jan 5, 2022 at 10:25 AM Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:
> >>
> >> Does the FTM-400 even pass GPS information out through the serial port?  Shut down your APRSIS32 instance and open the port in a terminal emulator and see what information is available.  AFAIK, it's only received APRS packet information.
> >>
> >> Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32
> >>

> >> On 1/5/2022 10:02 AM, Bob Heuer via groups.io wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello
> >> I am new to the forum.
> >> I have a Yaesu ftm-400 connected to my laptop running windows 10 and using the SCU-20 USB interface.  APRSIS32 does not recognize the GPS signal from my Ftm-400.  Can somebody steer me in the right direction.
> >> I have acquired 10 satellites on the 400.
> >> Thanks in advance
> >> Bob

Bob Heuer

Thanks for your reply

I'll have to look at my F3D, But my F1D had a GPS to USB passthrough
buried in the menu. * And so it seems the F3D, so the FTM-400 should
have the same. But I have never tried using the actually radio as the
modem, I Guess that does work, I'll have to try it myself.

On Wed, Jan 5, 2022 at 10:25 AM Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

> Does the FTM-400 even pass GPS information out through the serial port?  Shut down your APRSIS32 instance and open the port in a terminal emulator and see what information is available.  AFAIK, it's only received APRS packet information.

> On 1/5/2022 10:02 AM, Bob Heuer via groups.io wrote:
>
> Hello
> I am new to the forum.
> I have a Yaesu ftm-400 connected to my laptop running windows 10 and using the SCU-20 USB interface.  APRSIS32 does not recognize the GPS signal from my Ftm-400.  Can somebody steer me in the right direction.
> I have acquired 10 satellites on the 400.
> Thanks in advance
> Bob

Bob Heuer

Thanks for the reply.  Aparently it does not.  Will look further