Newbie question...

W9PFD

Hello:

I am new to APRSISCE/32.  I have followed the setup instructions and all works well on the Internet connections, but the radio port does not want to transmit, and I do not see from the logs that it is receiving either.  I have checked all the steps in the article  "Why won't APRSISCE/32 Transmit?"  and they are all correct.  The TNC and the radio all work fine using a terminal program.  [And worked with a previous APRS program...]  Message at top of screen indicates  "APRS-IS OK"  and  "COM4 OK".  The OS on the computer is Vista, and the TNC is a KPC2 connected via a hardware COM port.

When the program starts and is putting the TNC into KISS mode, what flow control type does APRSISCE/32 expect to see?

Any other suggestions?

TNX + 73,

Dave, W9PFD

Lynn Deffenbaugh

What port type did you tell APRSIS32 to use when you configured the RF port?  It doesn't have any port type that sets up a KPC2 and should be set to Simply(KISS) which will cause it to expect the TNC to already be locked into KISS mode before it connects.

I suspect you have selected a KISS type port which is actually specific to the Kenwood APRS radio TNCs, not KPCs.

The "COM4 OK" simply means that the communications port was opened successfully.  It does not indicate any sort of actual communications with the TNC.

APRSIS32 doesn't want any flow control on the port.

If you open Enables / View Logs / Port(COM4) and enable that window, you might learn more about what's going on.

On 12/17/2020 11:33 AM, W9PFD wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the info and explanation on "COM4 OK"

You were correct that I had selected KISS rather than Simply(KISS).  Created a new port using Simply(KISS),  [and deleted the old one]  and PERMed  INTFACE KISS  into the KPC2.  Appears to be working on RF channel as well as Internet now.

A lot to learn in switching software.

Thanks for your help and your work on this.

Dave - W9PFD

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Good to know that was it.  I really need to figure out how to document the legacy "KISS" mode better somewhere.

On 12/17/2020 4:35 PM, W9PFD wrote:
Thanks for the info and explanation on "COM4 OK"

You were correct that I had selected KISS rather than Simply(KISS).  Created a new port using Simply(KISS),  [and deleted the old one]  and PERMed  INTFACE KISS  into the KPC2.  Appears to be working on RF channel as well as Internet now.

A lot to learn in switching software.

Thanks for your help and your work on this.

Dave - W9PFD

James Ewen

I would suggest not naming the Kenwood specific configuration as KISS for a start. Most implementations that have a KISS mode configuration have it set to work in KISS mode. Something for a specific hardware configuration like the Kenwood radio would probably be better labelled Kenwood KISS.

Clarity is a wonderful thing to strive for.

Hoping everyone stays safe, healthy and sane this non-traditional holiday season.

James
VE6SRV

--
James
VE6SRV

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Yeah, and hindsight is always 20/20.  I did the KISS when it was the only mode supported and Kenwood is all I had access to.  And since then, I haven't figured out how to change it without breaking all of the installations out there that are using a KISS-type port.  Eventually I'll get an inspiration.

On 12/17/2020 7:03 PM, James Ewen wrote:
[...]

Arnold Harding - KQ6DI

Can't the displayed name just be changed to KISS (Kenwood)?  So the only change is what the user sees when selecting KISS.

That's my thought, but it's never just that simple.
Arnold, KQ6DI

On 12/17/2020 4:12 PM Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

[...]

If it were just a display name, that would have happened a long time ago.  But there is no "display" name.  The name in the drop-down is the actual port type that is stored directly in the XML configuration file and is used to switch to the proper section of code to support the port.

So, changing the "name" would invalidate all of the port configurations that currently ask for "KISS".