New weather station to APRS

Larry Springsteen

Greetings,
   I have a new weather station and I am able to make it play on Weather Underground. I would like it to play on APRS and from their help files it says use UDP. I have been poking around the menus but I'm not any closer to making it happen. Has anyone done this with APRS-IS and a Weatherflow Tempest?

73, Larry  WB8LBZ
El Paso, TX

T W

How do you connect the weather station to your computer?

On 27 Apr 2021, at 09:47, Larry Springsteen via groups.io <wb8lbz@...> wrote:

Greetings,
   I have a new weather station and I am able to make it play on Weather Underground. I would like it to play on APRS and from their help files it says use UDP. I have been poking around the menus but I'm not any closer to making it happen. Has anyone done this with APRS-IS and a Weatherflow Tempest?

73, Larry  WB8LBZ
El Paso, TX

Larry Springsteen

I can only view it in a web browser. I have an ap for my phone but there is no connection to my home computer.

73, Larry  WB8LBZ
El Paso, TX

T W

Ah ok. I connect via serial to a pc then use CumulusMX to generate the wxnow.txt file needed for APRSIS32.

On 27 Apr 2021, at 21:13, Larry Springsteen via groups.io <wb8lbz@...> wrote:

I can only view it in a web browser. I have an ap for my phone but there is no connection to my home computer.

73, Larry  WB8LBZ
El Paso, TX

Brian Webster

That will do it.

Brian N2KGC

Ah ok. I connect via serial to a pc then use CumulusMX to generate the wxnow.txt file needed for APRSIS32.

On 27 Apr 2021, at 21:13, Larry Springsteen via groups.io <wb8lbz@...> wrote:

I can only view it in a web browser. I have an ap for my phone but there is no connection to my home computer.

73, Larry  WB8LBZ
El Paso, TX

Larry Springsteen

So TW gets it, Brian gets it and I still have no clue.

73, Larry  WB8LBZ
El Paso, TX

James Ewen

You have the wrong equipment according to what little information you provide and what others are assuming.

If there is no way to get the data from your weather station into a computer running a program that will create a weathernow.txt  file, then there will be nothing for APRSISCE/32 to ingest and send out.

APRSISCE/32 needs access to the weather data. If it can’t access the weather data, then there will be no APRS weather beacon.

You need to integrate both the weather station and APRSISCE/32 to make this work.

If there is a way to get your weather station to create the appropriate file on the computer running APRSISCE/32, then get that set up and working and away you go.

You know what you have for equipment, dig into your manual and find out if you can get the information required to APRSISCE/32.

It’s always a good idea to figure out what you want to do, then do some research to determine what equipment you need to reach that goal, then buy the equipment and implement the plan.

Buying parts and then trying to make it do something it isn’t intended to do can be a challenge.

I don’t know specifically if your equipment is capable of doing what you need.

However, if you can see all the information you need on a web page, I would suspect that one could create some web scraping scripts that run on a cron job to scrape the data and create the required output and save it into a file.

It’s a bit of a work around to get the job done, but it might be a way to make what you have fit the bill if it can’t be done any other way.

Where there’s a will, there’s a way.

--
James
VE6SRV

Lynn Deffenbaugh

James has it pretty straight, but you're looking for software that can create a wxnow.txt file.  That is the primary interface for weather stations to APRS, and the only one supported by APRSIS32.

aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:weather-stations

https://cumuluswiki.org/a/Wxnow.txt

On 4/29/2021 2:10 AM, James Ewen wrote:
[...]

I was writing the reply on my phone, and couldn’t go back in the previous email to look up the name of the file... I didn’t want to lose the email I was creating, so guessed at the name.

Other than that, Larry should be able to do some research into his equipment to figure out where to go from here.

Thanks for the correction Lynn!

On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 5:04 AM Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

[...]

Ian Stubbs

For reference the Weatherflow devices broadcast their data on UDP port 50223, I use Node-Red to capture the data stream and post it up APRS.  I will admit I have not finished the implementation for correct rainfall totals, but the temp, humidity, wind direction & speed work well.  Hopefully this steers you in the right direction for your integration.

KC5DFC

On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 8:37 AM James Ewen <ve6srv@...> wrote:
[...]

Hmm, using Node Red to capture the weather data and post it to APRS. Yet another interest of mine dovetailing with a completely unrelated hobby.

I have yet to dig into Node Red. I am assuming when you say posting the data to APRS that you are sending it to the APRS-IS and not RF. It looks like your KC5DFC-WX station is where you are sending your weather data.

Larry is trying to send the weather data to APRSISCE/32, presumably to send over RF. I wonder if Node Red can be used to create the wxnow.txt file?

On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 8:27 AM Ian Stubbs <kc5dfc@...> wrote:
[...]

Yes, I'm sure Node Red can do that.  If Ian (KC5DFC) would be willing to post his UDP listening and APRS packet formatting code, I'm sure it's a trivial extension to write it out to a wxnow.txt file that APRSIS32 can monitor and transmit both to RF and -IS.

On 4/29/2021 10:54 AM, James Ewen wrote:
[...]

The way the data gets to the internet and/or the CWOP servers is by the contents of a file called wxnow.txt being either broadcast over the air by an APRS station and that data getting fed via an APRS gateway through the APRS internet stream OR your own home station/software package sends the data to a server on the internet directly.

Does your weather station produce a file called wxnow.txt? If not it is very unlikely that you will be able to broadcast your weather data over the air to other APRS stations. Most APRS software has standardized on using that particular file. Your weather station and/or it’s associated software on your computer has to be able to produce that file and then your APRS software has to know where on your computer that file exists.

So somehow the weather data from your particular weather station has to push the data. These groups don’t send out the full email thread so I can’t look back to see which weather station you said you are using. There are not many if any at this point APRS software packages that have a plug and play option to connect to a weather station and have it just work. Just about everyone I have looked at require some sort of middleware software setup and configuration.

Not all weather stations or even their companion software produce the wxnow.txt file. If they do they are usually the more expensive stations and software packages.

Brian N2KGC

So TW gets it, Brian gets it and I still have no clue.

73, Larry  WB8LBZ
El Paso, TX

Ian Stubbs

You are correct I am currently only sending this data to an APRS-IS server over the internet.  On that note it is no problem to write the data to a text file for an RF solution.  The Node Red flows I have created were not originally intended for APRS specifically, so I need to consolidate into one flow for distribution as there are many "extras" in there that will cause confusion.  It was just a simple test to see if it would work as a predecessor to my goal of a stand-alone Rpi with Node Red and Direwolf to RF, plus I was already pushing packets to APRS-IS for AREDN node locations. There are also some slight differences between the different models of Weatherflow stations that I will have to consolidate.  Looks like I need to get busy on implementing the RF solution!

On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 10:40 AM Brian Webster via groups.io <radiowebst=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

I would like to do this on my Windows 10 box. I'm not familiar with Node Red. A short note of configuring for Dummies would be helpful. The data comes from the WX sensor via Bluetooth then to the wireless router. I have seen other WX sensors that use 433 MHz or a 900 MHz RF link. The Weatherflow Tempest is a different animal. Thanks in advance ...

73, Larry  WB8LBZ
El Paso, TX