Topics

New User with a couple of comments.....

Gary Sanders

I got the program running last night using Windows 7, and I suspect that this could easily become my favorite APRS application on Windows.

I'm using it for monitoring only, so I don't have a password entered. (I see that it defaults to -1 in that case, which is fine.) I put in a filter string "f/wb0bzr-12/200" to limit the amount of received data to 200 km surrounding my TT4, and it worked fine for a half hour or so, than it suddenly reverted to what appeared to be an unfiltered feed - I was receiving posits from all over the U.S. If I restarted it, it appeared to do the same thing - filtered for a while, then unfiltered reception.

I also use Uiview-32, which is set up to use a similar filter string, so I just set uiview to act as a server, and pointed to it with APRSISCE, which took care of limiting the quantity of received data. As a side benefit, since Uiview is also connected to a TNC and radio at home as well as the 'net, I can see stations directly via rf on APRSISCE.

I spent most of last night reading all ~450 messages in the archive until I was cross eyed :). I see that your TO DO list is pretty long, but maybe you could humor me, and consider a couple of thoughts.....

APRSISCE would be perfect for me if it did two things that I can't seem to make it do now:

1) Optionally default to Tracking Enabled upon startup.

2) Optionally default to tracking a specific call upon startup.

Unless I'm not using the program correctly, the state of Tracking isn't saved at shutdown, nor is the tracking of a specific call (or, to be more accurate, the centering on a tracked call). I do realize that the friends list filter string is saved, but you must wait for the call to go by on the scrolling list and then select it in order to keep it centered.

The reason I'd like to have these optional defaults is so my wife could just start the application on her laptop and be able to see where the car is the next time it sends a position without her having to do anything else. (Getting her to wait for a call to scroll by and select it isn't high on the WAF :) ).

I sort-of do this now with Uiview-32 and Precision Maps, but if you've ever used the Precision Maps interface with Uiview, you know why I like you program so much!

I fully understand that I may simply be using the program incorrectly, and it can do all of the above already. If so, I'd really appreciate it if you'd let me know the error of my ways.

Thanks,

Gary Sanders
WB0BZR.

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Gary Sanders wrote:
I got the program running last night using Windows 7, and I suspect that this could easily become my favorite APRS application on Windows.
I can only hope! The more people that use it, and make suggestions, the better it will be for all of us.

I'm using it for monitoring only, so I don't have a password entered. (I see that it defaults to -1 in that case, which is fine.) I put in a filter string "f/wb0bzr-12/200" to limit the amount of received data to 200 km surrounding my TT4, and it worked fine for a half hour or so, than it suddenly reverted to what appeared to be an unfiltered feed - I was receiving posits from all over the U.S. If I restarted it, it appeared to do the same thing - filtered for a while, then unfiltered reception.
What do you have the Range configuration value set to? It defaults to 50 or 60 miles (I think). That range is automatically added to your filter string in two ways. First, it is always sent as a Me filter. This, of course, only has effect if you beacon a position to the APRS-IS servers for the callsign-SSID under which the program is running. I suspect this is not your issue, unless you have a live GPS that takes a while to get a fix and therefor to beacon a position. But with a -1, I'm not sure the APRS-IS server would even notice.

The other use of the range parameter is that the client automatically uses this along with the center of the screen for a range filter. This means that if you drag the screen around, it will automatically update your active filter to request that range around the center of the screen.

Finally, if you Center on another station, the client automatically builds a Friend filter using the same Range number as the circle around that centered station. The APRS-IS seems to be semi-sticky on the friend filter. Once you center on a station, you seem to continue getting the range around that station even after the client has removed the friend filter from the active filter string.

Any or all of these could be what is causing your apparent reversion to an unfiltered feed. Just for grins, you could actually set the Range to about 10,000 (which is actually 1,000 miles) to get a small feel for just how much data can actually flood into the client. I keep one copy of APRSIS32 open on my desktop on a server with an unfiltered feed. The station list scrolls faster than you can read. (You currently have to edit the .XML configuration file to change the APRS server or port).

I also use Uiview-32, which is set up to use a similar filter string, so I just set uiview to act as a server, and pointed to it with APRSISCE, which took care of limiting the quantity of received data. As a side benefit, since Uiview is also connected to a TNC and radio at home as well as the 'net, I can see stations directly via rf on APRSISCE.
One of the upcoming features is a server feature as well. If I can pull it off, the server port will actually implement a sub-filtered feed to allow one instance to connect to a full feed and other local instances to connect to the first instance but filter the feed for areas of special interest. There's plenty of other things on the list ahead of that though!

APRSISCE would be perfect for me if it did two things that I can't seem to make it do now:

1) Optionally default to Tracking Enabled upon startup.
This is automatic. I assume you're referring to keeping the screen centered on your own station when you're mobile and running with a live GPS? I suspect you've dragged the screen so that it is no longer actively tracking "Me" as center. Click on your own station and select Center again even though it may already be checked. From that point it should keep your station centered. At least, until you drag the screen away either intentionally or inadvertently.

The other way to ensure that the client is centered on you and tracking your movements is to double-click on the heading panel. The first double-click will restore the currently-tracking station to the center of the screen and live track it. The second double click will return center to you and also begin live tracking your movements.

Remember, the slightest accidental screen drag will lock the map down and disable keeping the tracked station centered.

2) Optionally default to tracking a specific call upon startup.
Good idea. I've wanted that one a few times myself. I just added it to the list. Be aware, however, that when you restart the client, the screen will come up to where you last left it and will not move to center on the new station until a new position report is heard.

Unless I'm not using the program correctly, the state of Tracking isn't saved at shutdown, nor is the tracking of a specific call (or, to be more accurate, the centering on a tracked call). I do realize that the friends list filter string is saved, but you must wait for the call to go by on the scrolling list and then select it in order to keep it centered.
Answered above.

The reason I'd like to have these optional defaults is so my wife could just start the application on her laptop and be able to see where the car is the next time it sends a position without her having to do anything else. (Getting her to wait for a call to scroll by and select it isn't high on the WAF :) ).
Good use!

I sort-of do this now with Uiview-32 and Precision Maps, but if you've ever used the Precision Maps interface with Uiview, you know why I like you program so much!
I used UI-View for about 2 or 3 weeks over a year ago and quickly decided it would be worth writing my own client. I do it because I love programming and even more love to program useful things.

I fully understand that I may simply be using the program incorrectly, and it can do all of the above already. If so, I'd really appreciate it if you'd let me know the error of my ways.
Never hesitate to ask. If I don't answer, someone else will. Also, once you get more familiar with the program, feel free to jump in with answers and/or comments whenever the mood strikes. You do have to be pretty quick to get an answer in before me most of the time though! ;)

Thanks,
You're welcome. Thanks for trying out the program and helping to make it better!

Gary Sanders
WB0BZR.

Gary Sanders

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh wrote:
Gary Sanders wrote:
Finally, if you Center on another station, the client automatically builds a Friend filter using the same Range number as the circle
around that centered station. The APRS-IS seems to be semi-sticky on
the friend filter. Once you center on a station, you seem to continue
getting the range around that station even after the client has
removed the friend filter from the active filter string.
I believe this is what I'm seeing. I reset the XML file to point to the
default servers (as opposed to my uiview server) and played with it some
more this morning. If I didn't move to a different location, the
positions received were all from the area of the centered station. As
soon as I moved to a different location, I started receiving stations
from the new location. I also continued to receive stations from the
former location. When I moved to a third location, I received the new
location's stations, PLUS the previous two locations. After moving to
seven or eight locations around the country, the data stream was pretty
huge.

I'm using this on Win7 at home, and the data consumption isn't a major
issue, but if I were using it on a smart phone with a restrictive data
plan (as most are in one form or another) I'd be concerned about the
bandwidth consumed. Within the APRS server network is there a method to
force a server to feed data matching only the most recent filter
setting, without the carryover of data from previous settings?

I noticed that if I stopped and restarted the program, the data received
matched only the current filter setting. Does this imply that a
disconnection from the server, then a reconnection would reset the
filter setting? If so, would it be worthwhile to do that
programmatically after a user induced move of X distance? I suppose the effort to "fix" it would have to be weighed against the results obtained , considering that probably most people wouldn't be jumping around viewing one location after another as I do on occasion, but rather looking at their local area.

APRSISCE would be perfect for me if it did two things that I can't
seem to make it do now:
1) Optionally default to Tracking Enabled upon startup.
This is automatic. I assume you're referring to keeping the screen centered on your own station when you're mobile and running with a
live GPS?
No, I'm actually referring to being able to auto-track my TT3-equipped
car upon startup, rather than the Win7 laptop running the aprsisce. Addressed below.

2) Optionally default to tracking a specific call upon startup.
Good idea. I've wanted that one a few times myself. I just added it
to the list. Be aware, however, that when you restart the client, the
screen will come up to where you last left it and will not move to center on the new station until a new position report is heard.
Thanks much for adding it to the list. I think this would make the program perfect for my needs.

Gary Sanders
WB0BZR

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Gary Sanders wrote:

I noticed that if I stopped and restarted the program, the data received
matched only the current filter setting. Does this imply that a
disconnection from the server, then a reconnection would reset the
filter setting? If so, would it be worthwhile to do that
programmatically after a user induced move of X distance? I suppose the effort to "fix" it would have to be weighed against the results obtained , considering that probably most people wouldn't be jumping around viewing one location after another as I do on occasion, but rather looking at their local area.
You can force the APRS-IS server to disconnect and re-connect by
toggling Enables / APRS-IS Enabled off then back on. I'll post a
question on the javAPRSSrvr Yahoo group about this filter behavior.

I run APRSISCE on my AT&T Tilt (HTC TyTN II) Windows Mobile phone 24x7
with a normal filter of 100 miles radius. I routinely jump around to
other APRS users and have not yet noticed an ill effects (or warnings)
from my cellular provider.

If you double-click on the "APRS OK" pane (I really need to name these
things), it will give you a popup showing the APRS traffic since the
client was started. It shows both packets and bytes, sent, received and
total. For the OSM data, double-click an empty area on the map. If any
tiles have been fetched, it will give the total count and sent,
received, and total bytes involved in that data communications as well.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ