New to APRSISCE

Bob Davet <davet354tfd@...>

Just installed it yesterday.

I have been running UiView for years and it is working fine. I was just looking around to see what else is there.
With UiView being stagnant, I was just looking to see what other APRS programs were out there and what other functions they have.
With UiView, I am an Igate and I have the NWS shape files installed and get the alerts for those when they are sent out.
I am using a KPC3 with UiView.

I would like to set up APRSISCE the same exact way as I have UiView set up.

I have searched the messages and looked through the files section and have not found any kind of manual for setting this up. (It could be there, but I just missed it)

I would love to get a little help setting this up. I feel I am capable of doing it myself if I had a guide/manual to do the heavy lifting with. Then I could come back here and ask the missing questions.

Thanks

Bob
W8RID

Rob Giuliano

The help and wiki are pretty much the manual: http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/
You can download the wiki as well.

As for tbe KPC3, like most APRS clients, you need to put it in KISS mode.  APRSIS32 can do this using <OpenCMD> statements, and return it to normal mode with <CloseCMD> statements.  But the preferred way is to put the KPC3 in KISS  mode and use a Simply(KISS) port type.  All covered in the wiki.

Rob KB8RCO

On Tue, Dec 28, 2021 at 13:08, Bob Davet
<davet354tfd@...> wrote:

[...]

Rob: Thanks for the info.

Was able to set up the shape files and weather setup.

Played with some of the other settings too.

The only one that I did not locate was the one to set up the Igate or Digipeater.

Where in the wikidot.com is that? What category is it under?

Bob

W8RID

Lynn Deffenbaugh

If you have an RF and and APRS-IS port configured and didn't mess with any of the checkboxes in either port configuration, then you are already and IGate.

Since digipeaters are advanced, they can only be configured by directly editing the APRSIS32.XML configuration file while APRSIS32 is closed.  You can read about that configuration at:

http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:digipeating

On 12/28/2021 4:41 PM, Bob Davet wrote:

Rob: Thanks for the info.

Was able to set up the shape files and weather setup.

Played with some of the other settings too.

The only one that I did not locate was the one to set up the Igate or Digipeater.

Where in the wikidot.com is that? What category is it under?

Bob

W8RID

Bob Davet <davet354tfd@...>

OK, looks like I will stay with the Igate for now. Reading the info on the digipeater looks like it can be very harmful if not done correctly. Will look at that later once I get comfortable with the program more.

I have not, to my knowledge, made any changes to the RF and APRS-IS settings. But, I do not know where to find those.
I have not seen the program, through my KCP3, get my FT-1500M to transmit yet. I'm sure there is a setting I have not done.
I have read about the KISS mode for it. UiView has settings in the program to put it into that mode.
How do I actually do that with this program and make sure it engages my radio into transmit?

I would also like to change my icon from a house to a Diamond D. Can't seem to find that in the icon sections.

Sorry for asking all these seemingly dimple questions, but not being familiar with the program, I try looking where I think it should be and do not find the answers I am looking for.

Bob
W8RID

Brian Webster N2KGC

For the TNC you want to go to configure and then down to ports. Use the New Port option. Under port type you want to use KISS (Not Simply KISS). Give it a name such as KAM TNC. Hit create and in the next window select COM and in that window select your com port, speed, bits and such. When you finish that a new window pops up. Here you want to make sure the enabled box and messages boxes are checked as well as Xmit enabled and any other options you want to have active.

That should set up your TNC port. Once that is done you will likely have to hit the transmit button once each time you start the program to start things working.

To change your Icon again go to configure, then General. When this window pops up click on the icon and a separate window comes up where you can scroll through the symbol numbers and see the icon change. These numbers correspond to the APRS symbol tables defined in the spec. If you don’t find the one you want in any of the numbers, check the alternate button to look through the second table of icons. Some Icons allow you to have a number or symbol overlaid. You can turn that option on to additionally alter what your icon would look like. When you have what you like click accept.

I hope this helps you out.

Brian N2KGC

[...]

Answers interspersed below...

On 12/29/2021 9:51 AM, Bob Davet wrote:

OK, looks like I will stay with the Igate for now. Reading the info on the digipeater looks like it can be very harmful if not done correctly. Will look at that later once I get comfortable with the program more.

Wise choice.  Digipeating is something that depends more on the local RF environment than on what APRS hardware or software you use to implement it.

I have not, to my knowledge, made any changes to the RF and APRS-IS settings. But, I do not know where to find those.

Configure / Ports / <YourPortName> will show you the various options on the ports, both RF and APRS-IS.

You might find something helpful at http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:transmitting

I have read about the KISS mode for it. UiView has settings in the program to put it into that mode.
How do I actually do that with this program and make sure it engages my radio into transmit?

This was mentioned before, but since you ask again:

http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/tnc-kpc-3

I would also like to change my icon from a house to a Diamond D. Can't seem to find that in the icon sections.

You change your symbol in the Configure / General dialog by clicking on your current symbol just left of where it says "Click to Change" in the upper right corner.  For a "Diamond D", you'd select the Symbol of 97 for lower case "a" which is the diamond, then the Table / Overlay radio button and set the Overlay to 68 for a "D" overlay.  But since you're not being a digipeater yet, is this really what you want to set?  And a D overlaid Diamond is was "DARES" (Dutch ARES), but is now "DSTAR" in Bob's latest symbol definitions at http://www.aprs.org/symbols/symbols-new.txt   His digipeaters section uses various overlays on the # (35) symbol defined on that same page.

Sorry for asking all these seemingly dimple questions, but not being familiar with the program, I try looking where I think it should be and do not find the answers I am looking for.

The only question not worth asking is the one you've asked before but didn't like the answer.

Bob
W8RID

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#35941) | Reply To Group | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [kj4erj@...]

_._,_._,_

Lynn Deffenbaugh

KISS type ports only work for the internal TNCs in Kenwood radios.  Simply-KISS type ports assume that the TNC is already in KISS mode and defaults to no <Open/CloseCmd>s to configure the TNC.  Please see http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/tnc-kpc-3 for options on configuring a KPC-3+.

PS.   A KISS type port will knock a KPC-3+ out of KISS mode when the port is disabled or APRSIS32 is exited.

On 12/29/2021 10:29 AM, Brian Webster via groups.io wrote:

[...]

Making progress, but still not there, more questions.

Got the icon changed!!!

Went in to Configure> Ports> New Port
Created a new port called KPC3 (Not KPC3+, it is a KPC3)
Set the baud rate to 9600, Data to 9, Stop to 1, parity to none, Com1, KISS
These are the same settings that UiView was using.

Looking at the port now that it is setup:
MyCall SSID is blank.
No icon
Comment is blank
Quiet time is 0
Baud is at 1200 (I cannot change it)
RF to IS, IS to RF, Enabled, Bulletin, Messages, Xmit Enable, Beacon, Telemetry are all checked.
GPS/NEMA, DX, NoGate unchecked

So far my FT1500M is not being engaged when I hit transmit. Neither is the KPC3. (No red lights on both)
On the KPC3 I am getting the green Receive light on and off.

On the main screen of APRSISCE above the time "APRS-IS OK" and "KPC3 OK" are alternating flashing. Is this normal?

The FT1500M is set up for 9600 baud. Checked all the connections for that.

What have I missed?

If I have to delete a port I created, how do you do that?

Bob
W8RID

Rob Giuliano

There is no setting of data bits 9?
The only 2 valid numbers are 7 (seldom used) or 8 (most common).

The KPC3 and KPC3+ have the same KISS and KISS EXIT commands - if you are using APRSIS32 to configure the TNC for you.
As Lynn stated earlier, if you have APRSIS32 control your TNC, it will exit KISS mode if/when you disable the port or close the program.
There is a simple, external program with a batch file that will put the KPC3 in KISS mode, and start APRSIS32.  I think it might be in the files section.
KEEP IN MIND, most KISS TNCs expect the port to use HARDWARE flow control. between the computer and TNC.

MyCall and SSID are controlled in the General settings, not radio port specific.  Quiet at zero will never reset the TNC.  This is a good setting, "IF" you live in an area with very light APRS traffic.  No traffic for the period of time, and APRSIS32 will try and reset the TNC.

The FT1500 baud rate is completely different.  That determines which pin of the data jack the audio will be sent to the TNC.  Most likely the KPC3 wants it on the 1200 baud pin, so set the radio to 1200 baud - that is the most likley pin to give audio to the KPC3.
Does the LEDs on the KPC3 act normal?

APRSIS32 only knows whether or not the port "can be opened" (port exists and is not busy), and reports OK if that criteria is met.  So, yes that is normal.

On Wednesday, December 29, 2021, 12:03:28 PM EST, Bob Davet <davet354tfd@...> wrote:

[...]

Brian:

Thanks for that info.

Went in to Configure> Ports> New Port

Named it KPC3 (it is not a KPC3+)

RF to IS is checked
Is to RF is checked

The baud rate is 1200 (could not change that)

Enabled, Bulletin, Messages, Xmit enabled, Beacon and Telemetry all checked.

Clicked on Device

Com1, 9600 baud, Parity non, Data 8, stop 1 Hit OK

My Call-ssid is blank

Quiet time = 0

Comment blank.

NoGate is unchecked.

On the top of the main screen above the time it is flashing alternately "APRS-IS OK" and "KPC3 OK". Is this normal?

If I have to delete one of my ports, how do I do that?

Bob

[...]

The flashing is normal.

To delete a port open it up and get to the second screen if necessary where the delete button should show.

Lynn offered up a step to configure the KPC port rather than my suggestion so since he is the software author, I would use his directions over anything I suggest. http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/tnc-kpc-3

That post seems to suggest you put the TNC in to Kiss mode permanently FIRST before you start the program. That may require you having to dig out the KPC manual to learn how to do that from a terminal program. Once that is done I would imagine the kiss port settings will work as expected.

Also look at this post about your port configuration and the various settings you can have turned on or off

[...]

Lynn's KCP3 edits.

I have found the file to add them to.

This is what I need to add:

<OpenCmd>^M~</OpenCmd>
<OpenCmd>^M~</OpenCmd>
<OpenCmd>XFLOW ON!!0</OpenCmd>
<OpenCmd>FULLDUP OFF!!0</OpenCmd>
<OpenCmd>INT KISS!!0</OpenCmd>
<OpenCmd>RESET!!0</OpenCmd>
<CloseCmd>^192^255^192~!!0</CloseCmd>
<CloseCmd>^C^C^C~!!0</CloseCmd>

But, Where in the XML document do I put them?

I already have the file backed-up

Thanks

Bob
W8RID

Rob Giuliano

Inside the port settings that you created, you should see empty
<OpenCmd></OpenCmd>
<CloseCmd></CloseCmd>

Replace them with your listing.
I think I added 1 (instead if zeros) to allow the KPC3 to react

<OpenCmd>^M~</OpenCmd>
<OpenCmd>^M~</OpenCmd>
<OpenCmd>XFLOW ON!!0</OpenCmd>
<OpenCmd>FULLDUP OFF!!1</OpenCmd>
<OpenCmd>INT KISS!!1</OpenCmd>
<OpenCmd>RESET!!0</OpenCmd>
<CloseCmd>^192^255^192~!!0</CloseCmd>
<CloseCmd>^C^C^C~!!0</CloseCmd>

I remember oosting something, some time ago with a larger set of commands that I knew worked.

Rob KB8RCO