New Release - Altitude, Metric, Telemetry, and MORE!

Lynn Deffenbaugh

The part you've all been waiting for is:

Configure / Metric! Altitude, Distance, and Temperature (for the future).

Screen / Altitude - Adds Altitude to the tracked centered station and track. Great for balloons and airplanes!

Telemetry definition parsing and display. Select Telemetry from the station popup menu. You can also View / Telemetry to locate stations that send telemetry.

Monitor free space on the OSMPath drive and shut down fetcher if it drops below a configurable limit (default 8MB). There is no obvious indication of the fetcher shutdown, however.

Full release details, including other items are listed below and in the Release Notes on the File section.

PS. Oh yeah, the direct links!

Here's what's new in the APRSISCE6P100325.zip and APRSIS32100325.zip

Support a new Screen / Altitude that adds altitude to the centered station and each of it's track points. Turning on Altitude turns on Labels automatically. Turning off Labels also turns off Altitude.

Add a new View / Telemetry filter to only show stations that have transmitted telemetry.

Support "Telemetry" in the Station Popup Menu which displays the most recently received Telemetry values. PARM, UNIT, EQNS, and BITS are used if they have been captured for the station (rare).

Put a progress bar on loading Geocaches so it doesn't appear to hang so long (Win32 is FAST compared to Windows Mobile!)

Support ?APRST or ?PING? to respond with the path taken to get from the requester to me.

Change APWx01 to APWx02 for Telemetry improvements and display.

Change <Enables.Labels> to <View.Labels>. Change <TelemetryXxxx> to <Telemetry.Xxxxx>. If you had these customized, you'll need to re-set them with the new version.

Added <Telemetry.DefHours> to be how long between transmissions of the telemetry definition, Defaults to 24 hours. Disabling and Re-Enabling Telemetry will clear this for retransmission.

Parse and record telemetry definitions in PARM, UNIT, EQNS, and BITS messages from/to the same station. All received definitions are stored in the XML file (<TelemetryDefinition>). They may move in the future to a separate file.

Add leading zeros to Telemetry packet to meet spec.

Fix interpretation of the Yeasu FT-350m signature for Platform. Add "future" Kenwood Platforms (http://aprs.org/aprs12/mic-e-types.txt).

Obsolete (or changed) XML configuration file elements are now removed (or converted) automatically. This is important as the Telemetry definitions promise to get large, especially on a full feed.

Are you ready for this? Support <View.Metric.Distance> and <View.Metric.Altitude> in the XML config. The former switches from Miles (0) to KiloMeters (1). The latter from Feet (0) to Meters (1). There's also a <View.Metric.Temperature> which will switch from F (0) to C (1) when I get around to parsing temperature. If you see any strange values that appear that I didn't catch the conversion, please let me know! (Julian G4ILO and a cast of (seemingly) thousands!)

The new Metric settings also show up under Configure / Metric / ... Configure is now Configure / General. Other sub-sets will move here eventually.

Move Map Orientation options from Screen / Map... to Configure / Orientation...

Add direct access to Genius, AGW, KISS, Text, NMEA configuration via the new expanded Configure menu. Also, the corresponding Enables are now dynamic and don't need a restart. If you deconfigure a port that is running, it is automatically stopped and disabled.

Free Space Limit (<OSM.MinMBFree> default 8MB) beyond which Tile Fetcher shuts itself down (KA4EPS) - It also displays the free space on the OSMPath drive at the bottom of the OSM Map Tiles popup (double-click empty spot on map).

Steve <sbd64000@...>

Hi

Being a fixed station not attached to a gps how do I enter my altitude, I see the option to beacon it, but not and option to enter it. unless I am missing something

Steve G6UIM

[...]

Change to . Change to
. If you had these customized, you'll need to re-set
them with the new version.

Added > to be how long between transmissions of the
telemetry definition, Defaults to 24 hours. Disabling and Re-Enabling
Telemetry will clear this for retransmission.

Parse and record telemetry definitions in PARM, UNIT, EQNS, and BITS
messages from/to the same station. All received definitions are stored
in the XML file (on>). They may move in the future to
a separate file.

Add leading zeros to Telemetry packet to meet spec.

Fix interpretation of the Yeasu FT-350m signature for Platform. Add
"future" Kenwood Platforms (http://aprs.org/aprs12/mic-e-types.txt).

Obsolete (or changed) XML configuration file elements are now removed
(or converted) automatically. This is important as the Telemetry
definitions promise to get large, especially on a full feed.

Are you ready for this? Support Distance> and
Altitude> in the XML config. The former switches from
Miles (0) to KiloMeters (1). The latter from Feet (0) to Meters (1).
There's also a Temperature> which will switch from F (0) to
C (1) when I get around to parsing temperature. If you see any strange
values that appear that I didn't catch the conversion, please let me
know! (Julian G4ILO and a cast of (seemingly) thousands!)

The new Metric settings also show up under Configure / Metric / ...
Configure is now Configure / General. Other sub-sets will move here
eventually.

Move Map Orientation options from Screen / Map... to Configure /
Orientation...

Add direct access to Genius, AGW, KISS, Text, NMEA configuration via the
new expanded Configure menu. Also, the corresponding Enables are now
dynamic and don't need a restart. If you deconfigure a port that is
running, it is automatically stopped and disabled.

Free Space Limit ( default 8MB) beyond which Tile Fetcher
shuts itself down (KA4EPS) - It also displays the free space on the
OSMPath drive at the bottom of the OSM Map Tiles popup (double-click
empty spot on map).

Fred Hillhouse

Try connect a GPS for a short time and see if after you remove it, it sticks.

best regards,
fred

[...]

You're not missing something that's there because it's not there! I'll add it to the ToDo list, although changing altitude is much more interesting!

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

"future" Kenwood Platforms (http://aprs.org/aprs12/mic-e-types.txt <http://aprs.org/aprs12/mic-e-types.txt>).

[...]

It won't. At least, if it does, I'll be completely surprised! It might while the client is open, but on a restart, it should go back to zero. Good guess though!

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

[...]

It seems to stick. It goes if I restart though obviously.

Just checked and it does not seem to beacon the alt without the GPS connected, so it's just the label that sticks.

Still trying to find a way to get my phone on aprs a j2e app or even a script that would read the tracking from the webpage I have that tracks me as a cludge. (3dtracking and a script to create a page on my website)

if anyone knows of any thing.

Steve G6UIM

Fred Hillhouse wrote:

> Try connect a GPS for a short time and see if after you remove it, it
> sticks.
>
> best regards,
> fred

David Shrum

Lynn,
A couple of questions, hopefully my answer is not in this email but that has
never stopped me before.

First, when I used the mobile version (newest) I noticed my call (N8PU-12)
would show up in the stations heard the color would be red and then change
to green before it would scroll out of the window. Also at the bottom of the
window I saw "Await N8PU-12" even though it WAS tracking me on the map.

Second, in the desk top version I'm also seeing my call (N8PU-20) several
times in the scrolling window of calls heard.

In the latest versions am I supposed to be seeing this OR did I miss a
setting? Like others I'm enjoying the fruits of your work, THANKS.

Dave N8PU

[...]

15:33:00

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Dave,

David Shrum wrote:
First, when I used the mobile version (newest) I noticed my call (N8PU-12)
would show up in the stations heard the color would be red and then change
to green before it would scroll out of the window. Also at the bottom of the
window I saw "Await N8PU-12" even though it WAS tracking me on the map.
If you were zoomed in quite tightly, I could see the color change as it scrolled, or if you weren't receiving many stations. In all prior versions, the color of the station scrolling window was based on the callsign's most recent position. It is now based on where that station was when the entry was put in the list. This means that you'll see your own station change color as it ages and you move away from where you were. With my 180 mile (1800 tenths) range filter, my scroller never slows down enough for me to notice that.

If you are within range of the home station's coordinates, it will receive the beacons. Also, since you have Telemetry Enabled (I looked at http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=N8PU-12), telemetry packets may also be delivered, especially if you are tracking the -12 call from the -20 instance. Check out "Telemetry" on the Station popup of -12 or the "Me" on either station, although I've improved "Me"'s Telemetry definitions for the next release.

In the latest versions am I supposed to be seeing this OR did I miss a
setting? Like others I'm enjoying the fruits of your work, THANKS.
Sounds to me like everything is WAD (Working As Designed).

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

Dave N8PU

David Shrum wrote:
to green before it would scroll out of the window. Also at the bottom of the
window I saw "Await N8PU-12" even though it WAS tracking me on the map.
Oh yeah, the "Await"...I think I broke that. I'll put the code back in
place that I didn't think I needed. Oops.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

David Shrum

Lynn,
Maybe I missed you answer (as in didn't understand) on why I'm seeing my
call show up in the list of stations heard. Is there a way for me to stop
seeing (enable or disable) my call in that list but still use the program?
For me it's a little annoying to me to see my call listed in that list so
many times; when I'm using the version on my desktop computer, it's not
going to be anywhere.

Dave N8PU

to green before it would scroll out of the window. Also at the bottom of
the
window I saw "Await N8PU-12" even though it WAS tracking me on the map.
Oh yeah, the "Await"...I think I broke that. I'll put the code back in
place that I didn't think I needed. Oops.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

15:33:00

James Ewen

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 6:30 AM, David Shrum <dave.n8pu@gmail.com> wrote:

Maybe I missed you answer (as in didn't understand) on why I'm seeing my
call show up in the list of stations heard. Is there a way for me to stop
seeing (enable or disable) my call in that list but still use the program?
For me it's a little annoying to me to see my call listed in that list so
many times; when I'm using the version on my desktop computer, it's not
going to be anywhere.
That just proves that you can't please everyone... 8)

The Kenwood users like to complain because they can't see themselves
on the radio. I keep telling them to look down, and at the very least
they should see their shoes!

I guess the best answer is to have a setting which would allow
"self-awareness". That would allow one to see themselves or not as
they see fit.

One good thing about seeing your own callsign in the heard list, is
that it makes you aware of how much load you are placing on the APRS
network. If you see your own callsign too much for your own liking,
back off your beacon rate.

James
VE6SRV

David Shrum

I haven't changed any settings at all; this latest version is when I started
seeing them. Before that, if I had my lap top and desk top running as the
same time, I might see the others call maybe every 10 to 20 minutes. If I
could turn that on and/or off and still monitor the call I have set in my
filter that would be great.

As far as the mobile, I start it running and ignore it until I get to where
I'm going, I might even have another program running over top of it.

Dave N8pu

[...]

03:32:00

03:32:00

James Ewen

Along the lines of David's query.

Is there a way to know what is associated with the scrolling up the
side of the screen?

There are a whole lot of entries with my callsign scrolling along, but
not much in the raw packets on the APRS-IS stream.

Is there a way to know what the heck is associated with all the
apparent activity? It would be nice to be able to pull up information
about the packets associated with the entries. If I click on one of
the entries, all I get is information associated with the last packet.

James
VE6SRV

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Visible logs are on the ToDo list. I tried to figure out how to put the packet datatype into the scrolling window, but didn't want to waste the screen estate.

If you see your callsign scrolling up but nothing showing up on aprs.fi, I suspect you have Telemetry Disabled. This simply tells the program not to send the telemetry, but it now (with a fairly recent version) processes it internally anyway as I move towards having telemetry and weather data visible. Click on one of your callsigns in the window and select Telemetry. If the timestamp in the Telemetry popup changes when a new entry is added, that would be it.

However, the default Telemetry.Interval is supposed to be about 15 minutes, so that shouldn't put lots of your own callsign in there....

Hm, maybe it's time to boost the priority of getting the various logs visible.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ