MIC-E Warnings

NR4U Bob

I am trying to help my friend suppress these warnings:

09:26:30> Mic-E:WD4U-7 Transmitted Status(Warning)

I thought I had done so.

Where are ALL the places that this message, from him, might be "activated" ??

Someone else aprs-messeged him a bit ago and politely asked if he needed help.

tnx

NR4U Bob

this is what I am seeing. If it helps ...

Don Rolph

I assume he is using APRSIS32.

If so:

- check configure>beacon>MIC E notifications

and make sure it is set to none.

--

73,
AB1PH

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Don is correct, but it also doesn't help that he is apparently running both a Yaesu FTM-300D and an APRSIS32 instance both as WD4U-7.  The Yaesu is apparently configured with a Mic-E of "Off Duty".

On 12/11/2021 10:09 AM, Don Rolph wrote:
I assume he is using APRSIS32.

If so:

- check configure>beacon>MIC E notifications

and make sure it is set to none.

On Sat, Dec 11, 2021 at 9:39 AM KD7YZ Bob <kd7yz@...> wrote:
I am trying to help my friend suppress these warnings:

09:26:30> Mic-E:WD4U-7 Transmitted Status(Warning)

I thought I had done so.

Where are ALL the places that this message, from him, might be "activated" ??

Someone else aprs-messeged him a bit ago and politely asked if he needed help.

tnx

--

73,
AB1PH
Don Rolph

NR4U Bob

Firstly:

20211211194841,WD4U-7>APWW11,TCPIP*,qAC,T2TAIWAN:@194841h3820.77N/08254.50W-!WARNING!APRS-IS for Win32
20211211194917,WD4U-7>APWW11,TCPIP*,qAC,T2TAIWAN:@194916h3820.77N/08254.50W-APRS-IS for Win32

looks like two separate packets about 30 seconds apart.

Where are two different places where one sets an outgoing Mic-E: ?

or ... is it one for the APRS-IS Port and one for the FTM300D RF port?

And that brings up another question I have.

I too configured both APRS-IS and, in my case, a KWDD710 port.

Is not right?

Lynn Deffenbaugh

On 12/11/2021 3:07 PM, KD7YZ Bob wrote:
Firstly:

20211211194841,WD4U-7>APWW11,TCPIP*,qAC,T2TAIWAN:@194841h3820.77N/08254.50W-!WARNING!APRS-IS for Win32
20211211194917,WD4U-7>APWW11,TCPIP*,qAC,T2TAIWAN:@194916h3820.77N/08254.50W-APRS-IS for Win32

looks like two separate packets about 30 seconds apart.

Where are two different places where one sets an outgoing Mic-E: ?

or ... is it one for the APRS-IS Port and one for the FTM300D RF port?
There is only one beacon put into the APRS-IS with a path of TCPIP* from APRSIS32.  The only explanation I can give for the packet capture above is that there are either two instances of APRSIS32 running or the Warning Mic-E notification was switched off between the two packets.

And that brings up another question I have.

I too configured both APRS-IS and, in my case, a KWDD710 port.

Is not right?
Configuring a port inside APRSIS32 is one thing.  But WD4U-7 seems to have a completely independent FTM-300 configured as WD4U-7 as well.

What do you have configured for your APRSIS32 instance and what is your D710 configured to be?

NR4U Bob

tnx for the help
Mine, the "X" jpeg, doesn't show the call-ssid now ... it does when I first configure my Kenwood D710.

Lynn Deffenbaugh

The stuff at the top of the Port configuration dialogs (MyCall-ssid, symbol, and Comment) are red herrings.  I had originally thought to support unique configuration of those elements on a per-port basis, but once I learned more about how APRS operates, I realized that would lead to more confusion than it is worth.

And just FYI, the KWD710(APRS) type port uses a non-documented interface to allow APRSIS32 to transmit even though the D710 TNC is in APRS mode.  So sometimes your D710 will actually adopt your APRSIS32 station ID until such time as the D710 itself is power cycled at which time it will go back to what you have configured in the radio itself.  At least until the next time APRSIS32 transmits out via the D710 RF port!

On 12/11/2021 3:49 PM, KD7YZ Bob wrote:
tnx for the help
Mine, the "X" jpeg, doesn't show the call-ssid now ... it does when I first configure my Kenwood D710.

NR4U Bob

ok, good help, tnx.

But just to confirm, it " IS OK" that I fill-out and enable the two to be operational at the same time ... APRS-IS, for the internet side and KWD710(APRS >>>, for the RF side ... both together are the norm? right ? it seemed from another remark you'd made that it wasn't kosher to do that

Don Wolfe

Your best bet is to use only one. APRIS uses internet and rf using 1 callsign.

 73, Don
 W4GCW
 EL98pf

Where am I? Click link below.
https://aprs.fi/#!call=a%2FW4GCW-9&timerange=3600&tail=3600

On Sunday, December 12, 2021, 05:53:33 AM EST, KD7YZ Bob <kd7yz@...> wrote:

ok, good help, tnx.

But just to confirm, it " IS OK" that I fill-out and enable the two to be operational at the same time ... APRS-IS, for the internet side and KWD710(APRS >>>, for the RF side ... both together are the norm? right ? it seemed from another remark you'd made that it wasn't kosher to do that

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Yes, it is definitely ok to have both the APRS-IS enabled and the KWD710(APRS) enabled at the same time.  Otherwise, we'd never have an IGate.

What is discouraged is to configure your APRSIS32 and the physical KWD710 radio to be the same callsign-SSID.

On 12/12/2021 5:53 AM, KD7YZ Bob wrote:
ok, good help, tnx.

But just to confirm, it " IS OK" that I fill-out and enable the two to be operational at the same time ... APRS-IS, for the internet side and KWD710(APRS >>>, for the RF side ... both together are the norm? right ? it seemed from another remark you'd made that it wasn't kosher to do that

Adam Mahnke

When I do this (KC2AT-9 on the radio, and the software) with my D710 and APRSISCE I only have one of the beacons turned on depending on what I'm doing.

Turn the beacon off on your radio and let APRSISCE do the beaconing through the radio, OR turn off beaconing on the software and turn it on for the radio.

Radio Beacon on: reliant on the RF Network to gate you as your own software won't be TXing. At this point you are a mobile iGate (provided you have internet) but your own station won't be seen on the IS Stream (from your iGate) depending on your digi infrastructure.

Radio Beacon Off: Turn on the software beaconing and it's just like a home iGate being driven by the software in a mobile environment. The radio is just that, a radio/TNC combination, everything else is being driven by the software, Depending on your software configuration it TX's on the IS Stream and via the RF of your radio. Passing the radio GPS to the software is a different conversation.

The key to this is to just make sure that ONLY one of the SSID devices is transmitting at any given time. I do this regularly when I'm doing special events or RACES support. Hook up the laptop, fire up the software and disable the beacon on the radio. When I'm done with the event, I turn off the beaconing on the software and turn it back on for the radio. I still get the pretty map, but my station being iGated is less reliable. Just a matter of how you want/need to be operating.

Adam
KC2ANT

On Sun, Dec 12, 2021 at 7:43 AM Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:
Yes, it is definitely ok to have both the APRS-IS enabled and the
KWD710(APRS) enabled at the same time.  Otherwise, we'd never have an IGate.

What is discouraged is to configure your APRSIS32 and the physical
KWD710 radio to be the same callsign-SSID.

On 12/12/2021 5:53 AM, KD7YZ Bob wrote:
> ok, good help, tnx.
>
> But just to confirm, it " IS OK" that I fill-out and enable the two to be operational at the same time ... APRS-IS, for the internet side and KWD710(APRS >>>, for the RF side ... both together are the norm? right ? it seemed from another remark you'd made that it wasn't kosher to do that

NR4U Bob

Hello Adam Mahnke:

Sunday, December 12, 2021, 8:10:12 AM, you chiseled out:

 When I do this (KC2AT-9 on the radio, and the software) with my D710 and
APRSISCE I only have one of the beacons turned on depending on what I'm
doing.
ok
That was helpful.

When I get the time, I will port my weather stuff and APRS stuff to a Ras-Pi.
I'll let the Raspberry-Pi run off the solar panels.

Here, at my place, despite having a 'Generac' that comes on after 40 seconds power out, my PC still eventually goes off for a while. Or, all too often, the dang Windows-10 just blue-screens ...and it's not cuz of mal-ware!

So I let my D710 do its thing. It always comes right back up to speed if there is am A/C power glitch. And the D710 doesn't really mind if Windows hasn't a clue how to run.

Then I 'also' run APRSIS32.
Hopefully APRSIS32 manages all the need stuff once it comes back on.

Once on a DC powered setup from the batteries, I can do as you said, and let APRSIS32 control it all.

BTW, what is Mic-E anyway? What's it stand for?
--

Best regards,

Bob KD7YZ EM88LL

Don Rolph

Hmm, Lynn.

I have always configured the APRSIS32 system and its attached radio with the same SSID BUT I configured APRSIS32 so it does not beacon.  This means that messages to the common SSID get picked up by APRSIS32 but the APRSIS32 instance does not trigger updates independently of the attached radio.

What am I missing with this approach?