Topics

Mapping JS8Call stations to local APRSis32 map?

KP3FT

Hi all,

Is it possible to map JS8Call stations to a local APRSis32 instance, on a computer with no internet access?  I've tried setting a port up in APRSis32 as "TXT" type and pointed it to 127.0.0.1 on port 2442, but not sure what I'm doing.  I can get stations to send back their grid square in JS8Call when I request one, but it doesn't show on the APRSis32 map.

Lynn Deffenbaugh

If you have the latest development version, you should be able to configure a "JS8Call" Object in Configure / Objects / New JS8Call.  I call mine KJ4ERJ-J8.  When you create the object, APRSIS32 should prompt you to tell it where the ALL.TXT file is in your JS8Call Log directory (Log / Open Log Directory menu option in JS8call).  Once you enable the object (Interval and RF Path don't matter), APRSIS32 will scrape the JS8Call's LOG.TXT file for any reception reports that appear to be an amateur radio callsign and grid square.  New objects will be created on your map with either -HB or -CQ depending on what JS8 packet was discovered.

My current map (monitoring 40m JS8Call all day today) is:

The stations without a suffix are those that come from JS8's APRS Internet gateway.  You can include those with an Additional Filter of u/APJ8*.

I run a dedicated instance for this mapping with a Range of 0 (zero) and a passcode of -1.

On 10/4/2020 6:44 PM, KP3FT via groups.io wrote:
Hi all,

Is it possible to map JS8Call stations to a local APRSis32 instance, on a computer with no internet access?  I've tried setting a port up in APRSis32 as "TXT" type and pointed it to 127.0.0.1 on port 2442, but not sure what I'm doing.  I can get stations to send back their grid square in JS8Call when I request one, but it doesn't show on the APRSis32 map.

KP3FT

Hi Lynn,

Thanks for the info.  I'm running the latest development version of APRSis32.  I must have something set wrong.  I tried what you said, but still didn't get anything on my map after running JS8Call on 40m for many hours (quite a lot of stations received).  I have the Object (KP3FT-J8) pointing to the correct JS8Call folder and ALL.TXT file.  Here's my Object settings; I just used the default that came up.  The stations in my screenshot are local from 2-meters.

Lynn Deffenbaugh

You should have a JS8Call trace log under Enables / View Logs.  Bring that up and enable it and see what it says the next time you receive a CQ or HB containing a grid-square.  You may be the first person besides me using this feature, so please bear with me while we get it working.

On 10/5/2020 11:21 AM, KP3FT via groups.io wrote:
Hi Lynn,

Thanks for the info.  I'm running the latest development version of APRSis32.  I must have something set wrong.  I tried what you said, but still didn't get anything on my map after running JS8Call on 40m for many hours (quite a lot of stations received).  I have the Object (KP3FT-J8) pointing to the correct JS8Call folder and ALL.TXT file.  Here's my Object settings; I just used the default that came up.  The stations in my screenshot are local from 2-meters.

Lynn Deffenbaugh

KP3FT - You need to update to the latest Dev release just pushed out.  JS8Call's ALL.TXT format changed a while back and, while I fixed it here, I neglected to push out a new development release.  Sorry about the red-herrings, but after update, your JS8Call object should start working.

On 10/5/2020 11:29 AM, Lynn Deffenbaugh wrote:

[...]

OK, thanks for going to the trouble with this.  This looks very useful.  I still don't have stations on the map, after updating APRSis32 to the latest 2020/10/05 build and restarting it.  JS8Call is version 2.2.0, and JS8Call trace log is enabled.  Here's a screenshot of some of the tracelog and JS8Call with some HB's circled:

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Are you sure you have View / All checked?  Or see if you have a View / Hashes / JS8 that you can enable.

You should also see the station show up in the packet scroller unless you have a filter on that as well.

Or try Screen / Follow / Find (or Control-F) and enter W8BO-HB.  The trace logs hows that that object, and others, should exist.

But my money is on you not having View / All checked...

On 10/5/2020 12:56 PM, KP3FT via groups.io wrote:
OK, thanks for going to the trouble with this.  This looks very useful.  I still don't have stations on the map, after updating APRSis32 to the latest 2020/10/05 build and restarting it.  JS8Call is version 2.2.0, and JS8Call trace log is enabled.  Here's a screenshot of some of the tracelog and JS8Call with some HB's circled:

KP3FT

Yep, View/All was it, I have them on the screen now.  Is there a way to filter the rest of the zillions of stations, so it shows only JS8Call stations and local 2-meter RF-only? I changed the Range settings to several different values, but didn't see a difference.

On Monday, October 5, 2020, 1:06:47 PM EDT, Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

Are you sure you have View / All checked?  Or see if you have a View / Hashes / JS8 that you can enable.

You should also see the station show up in the packet scroller unless you have a filter on that as well.

Or try Screen / Follow / Find (or Control-F) and enter W8BO-HB.  The trace logs hows that that object, and others, should exist.

But my money is on you not having View / All checked...

On 10/5/2020 12:56 PM, KP3FT via groups.io wrote:
OK, thanks for going to the trouble with this.  This looks very useful.  I still don't have stations on the map, after updating APRSis32 to the latest 2020/10/05 build and restarting it.  JS8Call is version 2.2.0, and JS8Call trace log is enabled.  Here's a screenshot of some of the tracelog and JS8Call with some HB's circled:

Lynn Deffenbaugh

View / NONE and confirm to clear out whatever might be set and then check View / Hashes / JS8 for JS8Call stations (APRSIS32 automatically includes #JS8 in the generated objects) and View / RF / All (which will show all stations received on local RF ports).

On 10/5/2020 1:46 PM, KP3FT via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Nice!  This is great.  Is there anything else I can do with APRSis32 and JS8Call?  I ask, because we've been doing some local RACES drills and things with RF-only APRS using mobile stations, but the terrain here is very "hilly", so I'm looking into other modes to use with APRS that have better range than normal packet AFSK.

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Sorry, but not at this time.  I need to look into what network interfaces and/or API JS8Call provides and maybe I can extend that into a new port type in APRSIS32, but that's not on my current radar.

My son (KJ4DXK) and son-in-law (KN4EOG) are looking to use JS8Call with 40/80 NVIS antennae to provide backup communications in the event of Florida hurricanes.  APRS isn't quite long enough in our flat land, and normal HF has us squarely in each others' skip zones.  We're looking for reliable communications between Orlando (HOA-restricted), Bonita Springs (small-ish lot), and Palm Bay (full acre for dipoles).  Our testing to date says it should work out well, and JS8Call certainly worked better than phone SSB.

We were all going to try the JS8Call QSO party this coming weekend, but ended up rescheduling our effort for the 2nd Saturday of November.  Hopefully we'll be on JS8Call a some (or multiple) points that weekend.

On 10/5/2020 2:09 PM, KP3FT via groups.io wrote:
Nice!  This is great.  Is there anything else I can do with APRSis32 and JS8Call?  I ask, because we've been doing some local RACES drills and things with RF-only APRS using mobile stations, but the terrain here is very "hilly", so I'm looking into other modes to use with APRS that have better range than normal packet AFSK.

KP3FT

Yes, JS8Call NVIS works great, almost hard to believe how well :)  We tried it Puerto Rico with good success, and testing it here in NY worked well on 80 and 160m.  Successfully sent messages and received acks at around 5 milliwatts on those bands to a station about 180 miles away (power was so low, I had to measure it with a scope since it didn't move the needle on the analog meter).

Going to test this out mobile-to-QTH maybe tomorrow on 10 meters , running APRSis32 and JS8Call together.  If you don't already have it, there's a "JS8Call Tools" program for Windows (and Linux) that allows JS8Call to auto-update its gridsquare from a GPS.  I have that running now, sharing the GPS comport with APRSis32 and JS8Call using a freeware virtual comport splitter.

Thanks again, 73

On Monday, October 5, 2020, 2:36:43 PM EDT, Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

[...]

Demetre - M0SUY/SV1UY

Hi Lynn and all,

Here is my JS8call to APRS Map. Great idea Lynn.
Take care!

--
73 de Demetre M0SUY/SV1UY
APRS: 1st & best Social Network