From: APRSISCE@groups.io [mailto:APRSISCE@groups.io] On Behalf Of Lynn Deffenbaugh
Sent: Wednesday, June 03, 2020 2:53 PM
To: APRSISCE@groups.io
Subject: [APRSISCE] LS-* objects near CLAYTN digipeater

Is there any APRSIS32 user operating an RF station near the CLAYTN

digipeater in New Jersey (https://aprs.fi/#!call=CLAYTN)?

I received a report from KD2EIB that he is seeing my LS-* lightning

strike objects on his RF-ONLY FTM-400.  I'd like to track down the

source of these objects on their local RF.  Some IGate operator within

digipeater path coverage must be gating these objects from firenet to RF.

If anyone happens to have a capture of packets from RF from earlier

today, I'd like to know if any LS-* objects show up. They'll likely

(hopefully, at least) be third party packets transmitted by some nearby

IGate.  That IGate operator needs to be contacted and realize that

gating a potentially 100s of megabit pipe onto a 1200 baud pipe is not a

good idea!

Avast logo

Fred Hillhouse

Never mind, this may be one of the Firenet servers which I am connected to.

Fred N7FMH

I saw this in Massachusetts. Is it helpful?

Best regards,

Fred N7FMH

Is there any APRSIS32 user operating an RF station near the CLAYTN

digipeater in New Jersey (https://aprs.fi/#!call=CLAYTN)?

I received a report from KD2EIB that he is seeing my LS-* lightning

strike objects on his RF-ONLY FTM-400.  I'd like to track down the

source of these objects on their local RF.  Some IGate operator within

digipeater path coverage must be gating these objects from firenet to RF.

If anyone happens to have a capture of packets from RF from earlier

today, I'd like to know if any LS-* objects show up. They'll likely

(hopefully, at least) be third party packets transmitted by some nearby

IGate.  That IGate operator needs to be contacted and realize that

gating a potentially 100s of megabit pipe onto a 1200 baud pipe is not a

good idea!

Avast logo

Actually, with the qAC(WG3K-NJ), I think it went via RF and back into the APRS-IS.  If this is an RF station of your's, then hopefully Enables / Ports / Log All is checked and there should be a *.PKT file in the APRSIS32 directory with a copy of all the RF-received packets.  Can you check in there for any LS-FN* objects?

The report was for FN20*, but this one is probably close enough in FN42.  I can't believe there'd be more than one IGate pushing them through to RF.

BTW, for anyone considering this, the SZ-* objects are much fewer and update slightly less often than the LS-* individual (and grouped) strikes.  SZ-* (Strike Zone) only go to 4 character gridsquare while LS-* (Lightning Strike) go down to 6 character gridsquare and change their overlay depending on how many strikes are in that square.  The SZ will move around showing the centroid of the strikes within the larger square.  The comment should show the total number of strikes in the last 10 minutes within the square as well.  At least, I think that's the way it works from memory.