looking for packets I uploaded

z_ kevino

When I visit APRS.fi and search for raw packets originating from my callsign-SSID, all I see are the beacons.

2022-10-29 13:22:26 EDT: N1KSC-10>APWW11,TCPIP*,qAC,T2POLC:@172225h2825.02N/08042.55WlN1KSC-10 KSC ARC

2022-10-29 13:52:26 EDT: N1KSC-10>APWW11,TCPIP*,qAC,T2POLC:@175225h2825.02N/08042.55WlN1KSC-10 KSC ARC

I never see any of the messages received from my APRSSI32 instance. I have my THD72 set on extra low power so I am pretty confident that the only station to hear my beacons from my handheld is my actual SDR hooked up to soundmodem, hooked up to virtual audio cable and to APRSSI32. I see the raw packets on soundmodem and the callsign-SSID shows up on the side on my APRSSI32.
Any thoughts as to where my logic is flawed?
thank you - I'm new here so I am sure it is something obvious to a more experienced user. thank you

James Ewen

> When I visit APRS.fi and search for raw packets originating from my callsign-SSID, all I see are the beacons.

> 2022-10-29 13:22:26 EDT: N1KSC-10>APWW11,TCPIP*,qAC,T2POLC:@172225h2825.02N/08042.55WlN1KSC-10 KSC ARC

> 2022-10-29 13:52:26 EDT: N1KSC-10>APWW11,TCPIP*,qAC,T2POLC:@175225h2825.02N/08042.55WlN1KSC-10 KSC ARC

Is N1KSC-10 your station? The sample packets you have provided are from a station running APRSISCE/32 with a direct connection to the APRS-IS tier 2 server T2POLC. This station is sending standard position reports with a local time timestamp. There is nothing to indicate that this station has any RF capability.

> I never see any of the messages received from my APRSSI32 instance.

What is the callsign of your APRSIS32 instance? What device are you looking at to try and see these messages? With that, we can have a look to see what messages you are sending from your APRSIS32 instance, and to whom.

> I have my THD72 set on extra low power so I am pretty confident that the only station to hear my beacons from my handheld is my
> actual SDR hooked up to soundmodem, hooked up to virtual audio cable and to APRSSI32.

What is the callsign of your THD72? What is the callsign of the station you are running APRSIS32 on that is hooked up to the SDR/soundmodem equipment?

> I see the raw packets on soundmodem and the callsign-SSID shows up on the side on my APRSSI32.

Again, what callsigns are you referring to? What is the callsign of the packets you are seeing on soundmodem? What is the callsign of the APRSIS32 instance you are looking at?

> Any thoughts as to where my logic is flawed?

What logic are you suggesting is flawed? You have made a number of statements with very little substantial information included. There is nothing that one might support or refute at this point.

From the statements you have made, it sounds like you might have 2 instances of APRSIS32 running, and a THD72 operational as well. This is based on the statement that you are looking to see messages (a specific APRS packet type) received from your APRSIS32 instance. After that, you mention your THD72. Perhaps you are trying to send APRS messages from the original N1KSC-10 station to the THD72. You do not provide any evidence that this is what you are referring to however.

Then you move on to a totally different statement where you tell us that you can successfully see packets from your THD72 on a machine running APRSIS32 with soundmodem and an SDR.

If you can provide a synopsis of what equipment you are running, including the full callsign of the equipment so that we have an idea of what you are using.

With that, perhaps explain what you are observing (include the callsign of the equipment you are looking at to make the observation, and the callsign of the station you are observing).

With that information in hand, you can either provide your understanding of what is happening, and your conclusion, or you can ask a question about what you are observing, and what you expect to observe.

From there we can tell you whether your observation is correct, or flawed, or we can give you a rundown on what you are observing, and possibly why.

There is a station very close by that sent one packet from a THD72. The callsign is KK4YEL-6. The owner of that callsign is a Kevin Zari who lives on Biscayne Dr. That packet was heard and gated to the APRS-IS by A4JM-1 located 6 miles away.

It can be difficult to filter out all of the non-APRS stations from the information aggregated at aprs.fi. There's more non-APRS stations than there are APRS stations reported at that site these days.

James
VE6SRV

On Sat, Oct 29, 2022 at 12:13 PM z_ kevino <z_kevino@...> wrote:
When I visit APRS.fi and search for raw packets originating from my callsign-SSID, all I see are the beacons.

2022-10-29 13:22:26 EDT: N1KSC-10>APWW11,TCPIP*,qAC,T2POLC:@172225h2825.02N/08042.55WlN1KSC-10 KSC ARC

2022-10-29 13:52:26 EDT: N1KSC-10>APWW11,TCPIP*,qAC,T2POLC:@175225h2825.02N/08042.55WlN1KSC-10 KSC ARC

I never see any of the messages received from my APRSSI32 instance. I have my THD72 set on extra low power so I am pretty confident that the only station to hear my beacons from my handheld is my actual SDR hooked up to soundmodem, hooked up to virtual audio cable and to APRSSI32. I see the raw packets on soundmodem and the callsign-SSID shows up on the side on my APRSSI32.
Any thoughts as to where my logic is flawed?
thank you - I'm new here so I am sure it is something obvious to a more experienced user. thank you

z_ kevino

> When I visit APRS.fi and search for raw packets originating from my callsign-SSID, all I see are the beacons.

> 2022-10-29 13:22:26 EDT: N1KSC-10>APWW11,TCPIP*,qAC,T2POLC:@172225h2825.02N/08042.55WlN1KSC-10 KSC ARC

> 2022-10-29 13:52:26 EDT: N1KSC-10>APWW11,TCPIP*,qAC,T2POLC:@175225h2825.02N/08042.55WlN1KSC-10 KSC ARC

Is N1KSC-10 your station? The sample packets you have provided are from a station running APRSISCE/32 with a direct connection to the APRS-IS tier 2 server T2POLC. This station is sending standard position reports with a local time timestamp. There is nothing to indicate that this station has any RF capability.
*** yes, N1KSC-10 is the APRS Internet-gateway I set up using APRSIS32

> I never see any of the messages received from my APRSSI32 instance.

What is the callsign of your APRSIS32 instance? What device are you looking at to try and see these messages? With that, we can have a look to see what messages you are sending from your APRSIS32 instance, and to whom.
*** My gateway is N1KSC-10. I have the personal callsign KK4YEL-6 on the Kenwood HT, and that is the source of the RF that the gateway hears. So even the beacons from my KK4YEL-6 which are heard by my SDR via a dual band antenna are shown in soundmodem, send through the virtual audio cable, and arrive to APRSIS32

> I have my THD72 set on extra low power so I am pretty confident that the only station to hear my beacons from my handheld is my
> actual SDR hooked up to soundmodem, hooked up to virtual audio cable and to APRSSI32.

What is the callsign of your THD72? What is the callsign of the station you are running APRSIS32 on that is hooked up to the SDR/soundmodem equipment?
*** the callsign of the THD72 is KK4YEL-6. The APRSIS33 is N1KSC-10

> I see the raw packets on soundmodem and the callsign-SSID shows up on the side on my APRSSI32.

Again, what callsigns are you referring to? What is the callsign of the packets you are seeing on soundmodem? What is the callsign of the APRSIS32 instance you are looking at?
*** I was expecting to see KK4YEL-6 packets uploaded to the network from my N1KSC-10

> Any thoughts as to where my logic is flawed?

What logic are you suggesting is flawed? You have made a number of statements with very little substantial information included. There is nothing that one might support or refute at this point.

From the statements you have made, it sounds like you might have 2 instances of APRSIS32 running, and a THD72 operational as well. This is based on the statement that you are looking to see messages (a specific APRS packet type) received from your APRSIS32 instance. After that, you mention your THD72. Perhaps you are trying to send APRS messages from the original N1KSC-10 station to the THD72. You do not provide any evidence that this is what you are referring to however.
***I only have one instance of APRSIS32 running, N1KSC-10 with no RF transmit - just listening and trying to act as an APRS internet gateway

Then you move on to a totally different statement where you tell us that you can successfully see packets from your THD72 on a machine running APRSIS32 with soundmodem and an SDR.
*** what I meant was that I know the RF from my HT is making it into the SDR, and that I see the packet, so I am confused why APRSIS32 doesn't pass it to internet

If you can provide a synopsis of what equipment you are running, including the full callsign of the equipment so that we have an idea of what you are using.
*** so again, I set up a laptop with an SDRplay RSPdx as my receiver. running SDR++, piping the audio into the Virtual audio cable and into Soundmodem, which creates a AGW server. APRSIS32 has a AGW port connected to that local host and proper port #. The APRSIS is setup as N1KSC-10.
*** My APRS source is my Kenwood TH-D72 which is configured as KK4YEL-6, and TX on normal VHF APRS frequency here in USA. That frequency is what the SDR on the laptop is listening to

With that, perhaps explain what you are observing (include the callsign of the equipment you are looking at to make the observation, and the callsign of the station you are observing).
*** all I want to see is that any packets the N1KSC-10 hears from KK4YEL-6 over RF is in fact gatewayed to the internet.

With that information in hand, you can either provide your understanding of what is happening, and your conclusion, or you can ask a question about what you are observing, and what you expect to observe.

From there we can tell you whether your observation is correct, or flawed, or we can give you a rundown on what you are observing, and possibly why.

There is a station very close by that sent one packet from a THD72. The callsign is KK4YEL-6. The owner of that callsign is a Kevin Zari who lives on Biscayne Dr. That packet was heard and gated to the APRS-IS by A4JM-1 located 6 miles away.

It can be difficult to filter out all of the non-APRS stations from the information aggregated at aprs.fi. There's more non-APRS stations than there are APRS stations reported at that site these days.

James
VE6SRV

Lynn Deffenbaugh

On 10/29/2022 9:54 PM, z_ kevino wrote:

What is the callsign of your APRSIS32 instance? What device are you looking at to try and see these messages? With that, we can have a look to see what messages you are sending from your APRSIS32 instance, and to whom.
*** My gateway is N1KSC-10. I have the personal callsign KK4YEL-6 on the Kenwood HT, and that is the source of the RF that the gateway hears. So even the beacons from my KK4YEL-6 which are heard by my SDR via a dual band antenna are shown in soundmodem, send through the virtual audio cable, and arrive to APRSIS32

APRSIS32 doesn't have any audio capability, so nothing is being sent "through the virtual audio cable" and "arrive to APRSIS32.   The devil is in the details.

If you can provide a synopsis of what equipment you are running, including the full callsign of the equipment so that we have an idea of what you are using.
*** so again, I set up a laptop with an SDRplay RSPdx as my receiver. running SDR++, piping the audio into the Virtual audio cable and into Soundmodem, which creates a AGW server. APRSIS32 has a AGW port connected to that local host and proper port #. The APRSIS is setup as N1KSC-10.
*** My APRS source is my Kenwood TH-D72 which is configured as KK4YEL-6, and TX on normal VHF APRS frequency here in USA. That frequency is what the SDR on the laptop is listening to

THAT is the level of detail we needed to see.

With that, perhaps explain what you are observing (include the callsign of the equipment you are looking at to make the observation, and the callsign of the station you are observing).
*** all I want to see is that any packets the N1KSC-10 hears from KK4YEL-6 over RF is in fact gatewayed to the internet.

Ok, so in APRSIS32, enable the trace logs that will show you what is happening.  You can access them via Enables / View Logs and you should have one called Port(<YourPortName>) along with several that might have IGate in their name.   Open each of those and use the menu option on each window to Enable them.   Then sit back and watch what they say.

Also, what does the upper right corner say about the status of your configured ports?   It should alternate between APRS-IS OK and <YourPortName> OK.  If you see anything else there, it may indicate a problem.

Also, in the packet scroller along the left edge, do you see any packets with an asterisk beside them?   If so, those are RF-received packets.  You can set up the scroller to ONLY show you RF-received packets with Configure / Scroller / RF Only, but also make sure that Configure / Scroller / Show All is NOT checked because it trumps the other settings.

Finally, if you do a View / None followed by a View / RF / All, then your map will only show stations whose packets were received via an RF port.   As a matter of fact, note the parenthetical numbers in the View / RF / menu which indicate how many stations are in each of those categories.

z_ kevino

Ok, so in APRSIS32, enable the trace logs that will show you what is happening.  You can access them via Enables / View Logs and you should have one called Port(<YourPortName>) along with several that might have IGate in their name.   Open each of those and use the menu option on each window to Enable them.   Then sit back and watch what they say.

This may have been the key. for some reason localhost wasn't functioning. placing 127.0.0.1 in here seems to fix it. Apparently the connection from APRSIS32 to the AGW server was not functioning. thank you! fixing this lead to another question, though... kindly see below.

Also, what does the upper right corner say about the status of your configured ports?   It should alternate between APRS-IS OK and <YourPortName> OK.  If you see anything else there, it may indicate a problem.

Yes, it alternates, like you mention

Also, in the packet scroller along the left edge, do you see any packets with an asterisk beside them?   If so, those are RF-received packets.  You can set up the scroller to ONLY show you RF-received packets with Configure / Scroller / RF Only, but also make sure that Configure / Scroller / Show All is NOT checked because it trumps the other settings.

Finally, if you do a View / None followed by a View / RF / All, then your map will only show stations whose packets were received via an RF port.   As a matter of fact, note the parenthetical numbers in the View / RF / menu which indicate how many stations are in each of those categories.

yes, I now see KK4YEL-6* in red
going back to aprs.fi and searching for raw packets originating from N1KSC-10

looking in the port log. I see

Port(SoundModem AGW):2022-10-30T11:43:53.659 AGW:AX.25-rPort[0] KK4YEL-6>R8RU0R,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1:'lF= S/>444.925MHz C131 +500KK4YEL (TH-D72)=

This was me toggling the beacon off and on, on the THD72, but what I do not understand is the R8RU0R. I can't find that anywhere on my config of the radio. Any ideas what is happening ?

Lynn Deffenbaugh

On 10/30/2022 7:54 AM, z_ kevino wrote:

Ok, so in APRSIS32, enable the trace logs that will show you what is happening.  You can access them via Enables / View Logs and you should have one called Port(<YourPortName>) along with several that might have IGate in their name.   Open each of those and use the menu option on each window to Enable them.   Then sit back and watch what they say.

This may have been the key. for some reason localhost wasn't functioning. placing 127.0.0.1 in here seems to fix it. Apparently the connection from APRSIS32 to the AGW server was not functioning. thank you! fixing this lead to another question, though... kindly see below.

Glad you were able to track that down and get it working.

looking in the port log. I see

Port(SoundModem AGW):2022-10-30T11:43:53.659 AGW:AX.25-rPort[0] KK4YEL-6>R8RU0R,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1:'lF= S/>444.925MHz C131 +500KK4YEL (TH-D72)=

This was me toggling the beacon off and on, on the THD72, but what I do not understand is the R8RU0R. I can't find that anywhere on my config of the radio. Any ideas what is happening ?

The Kenwood APRS radios use a location format called Mic-E which puts part of the information into the AX.25 destination field.  Search for a copy of aprs101.pdf and read that if you want to learn the details of individual packet formats, including the Mic-E format.

z_ kevino

Wow. Trying to manually decode Mic-E packets made my brain hurt.
Thank you for pointing me to that. I found an old long/lat converter on line at a Japanese website that helped me confirm what it was doing, albeit semi functioning on my modern windows machine.
Have a great rest of the week and thank you again for all you did to make this awesome software ! I am glad super smart folks like you can share knowledge with me and help me understand.
-Kevin (KK4YEL)

James Ewen

Kevin,

Providing detailed information really helps others understand your setup and what you are seeing.

If you are looking at aprs.fi, when you go to the raw packets page, look up top for a pull down menu. You can show decoded packets there. It will take mic-e packets and turn them into human readable format.

Glad to know you found the issue with getting packets into your copy of APRSIS32.

Next, make sure you understand that aprs.fi is not a reliable source of accurate information about what is happening on the air.

Lastly, uni-directional I-gates can break the ability for APRS stations to send messages. An I-gate that sends an APRS message from
RF to the APRS-IS needs to be able to gate any responses back to RF to allow for bi-directional communication between the two stations.

This can lead to people thinking there is a problem with their setup, when in fact the issue is with the partially functional I-gates that are not fully supporting gating.

That being said, when there are lots of I-gates in an area, as long as there is an I-gate within local range, messaging can work.

--
James
VE6SRV

VK8MC

Hello

I am new to APRS so please be kind.

I have a similar problem to that described below in that packets sent from my FT3D handheld (VK8MC-7) are being detected by APRSIS32 (VK8MC-10) but appear not be communicated to the internet.  The set up is as follows:

Receiver: Airspy R2
Software: SDR#
Audio: Virtual Audio Cable
TNC: AGW Packet Engine

I have stepped through the suggestions below, but as yet no success.  Here's some more detail:

From the Trace Port Log (last entry):
Port(Airspy):2022-12-09T15:17:37.122 AGW:DataKind(K)(0x4B) Non-AX.25[0x10] in 60/96 Bytes
[96]:<01 00 00 00>K<00 00 00>VK8MC-7<00 03 00>Q2R1V5<00 00 00 00><<00 00 00 00 00 00 00 10 A2>d<A4>b<AC>j`<AC 96>p<9A 86>@<EE AE 92 88 8A>b@b<AE 92 88 8A>d@c<03 F0>`:P^l <1C>[/`Vce act de VK8MC_0<0D>

Not sure what any of the above is telling me.

Here's a screenshot of the port settings:

Here's a screenshot from APRSIS32.

The top left corner flashes between APRS-IS OK and Airspy OK.

I feel I am getting close to making this work but am overlooking a setting somewhere.

Any assistance welcome. Thanks

Phil
VK8MC

Rob Giuliano

The packet says "Non-Ax.25".
The screen shot of Port Airspy isn't giving enough information.  I don't recognize that type of screen shot.
In APRSIS32, the Port setup screen (Menu >Configure >Ports Airspy) should look like this:
Inline image

For instance, what is the Port Type in APRSIS32?  Simply(KISS) or AGW?
  You can see it in the header of the popup.

On Friday, December 9, 2022 at 11:35:43 AM EST, VK8MC via groups.io <rubbersoul1991@...> wrote:

Hello

I am new to APRS so please be kind.

I have a similar problem to that described below in that packets sent from my FT3D handheld (VK8MC-7) are being detected by APRSIS32 (VK8MC-10) but appear not be communicated to the internet.  The set up is as follows:

Receiver: Airspy R2
Software: SDR#
Audio: Virtual Audio Cable
TNC: AGW Packet Engine

I have stepped through the suggestions below, but as yet no success.  Here's some more detail:

From the Trace Port Log (last entry):
Port(Airspy):2022-12-09T15:17:37.122 AGW:DataKind(K)(0x4B) Non-AX.25[0x10] in 60/96 Bytes
[96]:<01 00 00 00>K<00 00 00>VK8MC-7<00 03 00>Q2R1V5<00 00 00 00><<00 00 00 00 00 00 00 10 A2>d<A4>b<AC>j`<AC 96>p<9A 86>@<EE AE 92 88 8A>b@b<AE 92 88 8A>d@c<03 F0>`:P^l <1C>[/`Vce act de VK8MC_0<0D>

Not sure what any of the above is telling me.

Here's a screenshot of the port settings:

Here's a screenshot from APRSIS32.

The top left corner flashes between APRS-IS OK and Airspy OK.

I feel I am getting close to making this work but am overlooking a setting somewhere.

Any assistance welcome. Thanks

Phil
VK8MC

James Ewen

The screen shot seems to imply that VK8MC-7 is being heard by VK8MC-10...

If that is true, then all of the technical issues about reception and stuff can be ignored as the software seems to know about the FT3D.

So then the issue comes down to why isn't the packet heard being passed to the APRS-IS stream?

Lynn will probably ask you to look at your log files. Look at the trace log of incoming packets... you should see VK8MC-7 in the heard packets. Look at the gated packets log.

Was your VK8MC-10 system connected to the internet? I think so as there are other stations in the list that were not heard on RF. Did you have gating enabled?

There's a bunch of places where you could have shut down gating.

I'm assuming that the issue isn't that -10 is in Darwin, and -8 is in Melbourne... That would make RF reception a bit of an issue. Then we would have to wonder about how you managed RF reception from 3000 km across the continent!

James
VE6SRV

On Friday, December 9, 2022 at 11:35:43 AM EST, VK8MC via groups.io <rubbersoul1991=protonmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hello

I am new to APRS so please be kind.

I have a similar problem to that described below in that packets sent from my FT3D handheld (VK8MC-7) are being detected by APRSIS32 (VK8MC-10) but appear not be communicated to the internet.  The set up is as follows:

Receiver: Airspy R2
Software: SDR#
Audio: Virtual Audio Cable
TNC: AGW Packet Engine

I have stepped through the suggestions below, but as yet no success.  Here's some more detail:

From the Trace Port Log (last entry):
Port(Airspy):2022-12-09T15:17:37.122 AGW:DataKind(K)(0x4B) Non-AX.25[0x10] in 60/96 Bytes
[96]:<01 00 00 00>K<00 00 00>VK8MC-7<00 03 00>Q2R1V5<00 00 00 00><<00 00 00 00 00 00 00 10 A2>d<A4>b<AC>j`<AC 96>p<9A 86>@<EE AE 92 88 8A>b@b<AE 92 88 8A>d@c<03 F0>`:P^l <1C>[/`Vce act de VK8MC_0<0D>

Not sure what any of the above is telling me.

Here's a screenshot of the port settings:

Here's a screenshot from APRSIS32.

The top left corner flashes between APRS-IS OK and Airspy OK.

I feel I am getting close to making this work but am overlooking a setting somewhere.

Any assistance welcome. Thanks

Phil
VK8MC

VK8MC

Dear Rob and James

Thanks for your feedback.  I'll try to answer each question and provide some screenshots.

From Rob:
The packet says "Non-Ax.25".
The screen shot of Port Airspy isn't giving enough information.  I don't recognize that type of screen shot.
In APRSIS32, the Port setup screen (Menu >Configure >Ports Airspy) should look like this:
Here are some screenshots showing the port configuration:

For instance, what is the Port Type in APRSIS32?  Simply(KISS) or AGW?
  You can see it in the header of the popup.
Do the screenshots above answer this question?

From James:
The screen shot seems to imply that VK8MC-7 is being heard by VK8MC-10...
Agree with you James.

So then the issue comes down to why isn't the packet heard being passed to the APRS-IS stream?
Agree with you James.

Lynn will probably ask you to look at your log files. Look at the trace log of incoming packets... you should see VK8MC-7 in the heard packets. Look at the gated packets log.
Here are some screenshots of various log files.  I must admit that much of the information is incomprehensible to me, but I'm sure others will know what it all means.

The above shot perhaps indicates a problem?

Was your VK8MC-10 system connected to the internet? Yes. I think so as there are other stations in the list that were not heard on RF. Did you have gating enabled? This I can't be sure of, but I believe so. I certainly didn't change any setting in this regard.

There's a bunch of places where you could have shut down gating. Noted.

I'm assuming that the issue isn't that -10 is in Darwin, and -8 is in Melbourne... That would make RF reception a bit of an issue. Then we would have to wonder about how you managed RF reception from 3000 km across the continent!  Yes that was a few weeks ago while I was visiting Melbourne :).

Hopefully all of the above sheds a bit more light on the problem.  Thanks for all your assistance.

73
Phil
VK8MC

Lee Bengston

Hello,

Your port screenshots show why you are not gating from RF to IS.  RF to IS is checked on the AGW port but not on the APRIS port.

73,
Lee K5DAT

_._,_._,

Rob Giuliano

Screen shots do answer the questions.

Your APRS-IS configuration does not have "Xmit Enabled" and therefore (I believe) it will not send anything to the APRS-IS servers.  I understand you don't want the AGW port to TX (send data over the air), but you certainly want the APRS-IS port to TX (send data to the internet servers).

That would be the first step.

On Saturday, December 10, 2022 at 07:38:39 PM EST, VK8MC via groups.io <rubbersoul1991@...> wrote:

Dear Rob and James

Thanks for your feedback.  I'll try to answer each question and provide some screenshots.

From Rob:
The packet says "Non-Ax.25".
The screen shot of Port Airspy isn't giving enough information.  I don't recognize that type of screen shot.
In APRSIS32, the Port setup screen (Menu >Configure >Ports Airspy) should look like this:
Here are some screenshots showing the port configuration:

For instance, what is the Port Type in APRSIS32?  Simply(KISS) or AGW?
  You can see it in the header of the popup.
Do the screenshots above answer this question?

From James:
[...]

Greg Depew

You are also missing the rf to is checkbox in the is config. That will turn it off. Is it actually bidirectional or receive only? If bidirectional, turn on is to rf as well in the agw port.

KB3KBR Greg. Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Your APRS-IS configuration does not have "Xmit Enabled" and therefore (I believe) it will not send anything to the APRS-IS servers.  I understand you don't want the AGW port to TX (send data over the air), but you certainly want the APRS-IS port to TX (send data to the internet servers).

That would be the first step.

On Saturday, December 10, 2022 at 07:38:39 PM EST, VK8MC via groups.io <rubbersoul1991@...> wrote:

Dear Rob and James

Thanks for your feedback.  I'll try to answer each question and provide some screenshots.

From Rob:
The packet says "Non-Ax.25".
The screen shot of Port Airspy isn't giving enough information.  I don't recognize that type of screen shot.
In APRSIS32, the Port setup screen (Menu >Configure >Ports Airspy) should look like this:
Here are some screenshots showing the port configuration:

For instance, what is the Port Type in APRSIS32?  Simply(KISS) or AGW?
  You can see it in the header of the popup.
Do the screenshots above answer this question?

From James:
[...]

As Lee mentioned (and I hit send too early), you should just leave the IS to RF and RF to IS both checked on both ports for now.

On Saturday, December 10, 2022 at 07:51:05 PM EST, Rob Giuliano via groups.io <kb8rco@...> wrote:

Screen shots do answer the questions.

Your APRS-IS configuration does not have "Xmit Enabled" and therefore (I believe) it will not send anything to the APRS-IS servers.  I understand you don't want the AGW port to TX (send data over the air), but you certainly want the APRS-IS port to TX (send data to the internet servers).

That would be the first step.

On Saturday, December 10, 2022 at 07:38:39 PM EST, VK8MC via groups.io <rubbersoul1991@...> wrote:

Dear Rob and James

Thanks for your feedback.  I'll try to answer each question and provide some screenshots.

From Rob:
The packet says "Non-Ax.25".
The screen shot of Port Airspy isn't giving enough information.  I don't recognize that type of screen shot.
In APRSIS32, the Port setup screen (Menu >Configure >Ports Airspy) should look like this:
Here are some screenshots showing the port configuration:

For instance, what is the Port Type in APRSIS32?  Simply(KISS) or AGW?
  You can see it in the header of the popup.
Do the screenshots above answer this question?

From James:
[...]

Thanks everyone for replying so quickly.

I have ticked the RF-IS and RF-IS in both the APRSIS port and the Airspy port.

I have also ticked the XMIT enabled box in both ports.

It now appears I am uploading to the internet.

Once again thanks for all your assistance.  It's great to have it up and running.

73
Phil
VK8MC

Rob Giuliano

If the airspy is receive only, you can uncheck XMIT on that one.

On Saturday, December 10, 2022 at 08:30:59 PM EST, VK8MC via groups.io <rubbersoul1991@...> wrote:

Thanks everyone for replying so quickly.

I have ticked the RF-IS and RF-IS in both the APRSIS port and the Airspy port.

I have also ticked the XMIT enabled box in both ports.

It now appears I am uploading to the internet.

Once again thanks for all your assistance.  It's great to have it up and running.

73
Phil
VK8MC

VK8MC