Location, duplicate packets, and connection text folders

John Seiler

Thank you for permitting me into this group.  I have had a IGate setup for a number of years and act as a fill-in digipeater for my area south of Pittsburgh.  I have recently switched software from Pinpoint to APRS-IS for Windows.  I am using it with a Kenwood D-710 radio with its built-in TNC. In my original install, I screwed up and had my QTH about 100 miles east of me.  However, now it is at its' proper location. My location is fixed in the D-710 and the gps is not enabled in the APRS-IS software.  I have three issues and need your collective wisdom to help fix them.

1. If l you look at my APRS.fi location for K3MI-1, the symbol is directly at the location of my QTH.  However, will see a pink line, that if enlarged, is about a half mile from my QTH.  Any transmissions are shown from this point.  My position ambiguity is turned off in the D-710.  How do I fix this?

2. If you look at my APRS.fi 'raw packets' you will see a lot of duplicate packets.  How do I reduce or eliminate these duplicate packets?  My path is set to WIDE 1-1, WIDE 2-2.

3. It seems that every time I turn on another computer in the house I am seeing text files with contact information inside them.  They are entitled APRSIS32.text  and APRSIS23.XML.  How do I eliminate the generation of these files or stop them from going on other computers?  I took the computer connected to the D-710 off the 1Drive system.  Obviously it did not work.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  I enjoy the new software.

Thanks,
John K3MI

Lynn Deffenbaugh

On 5/15/2022 2:55 PM, John Seiler via groups.io wrote:
Thank you for permitting me into this group.  I have had a IGate setup for a number of years and act as a fill-in digipeater for my area south of Pittsburgh.  I have recently switched software from Pinpoint to APRS-IS for Windows.  I am using it with a Kenwood D-710 radio with its built-in TNC. In my original install, I screwed up and had my QTH about 100 miles east of me.  However, now it is at its' proper location. My location is fixed in the D-710 and the gps is not enabled in the APRS-IS software.  I have three issues and need your collective wisdom to help fix them.

Welcome to the group and APRSISCE/32!

1. If l you look at my APRS.fi location for K3MI-1, the symbol is directly at the location of my QTH.  However, will see a pink line, that if enlarged, is about a half mile from my QTH.  Any transmissions are shown from this point.  My position ambiguity is turned off in the D-710.  How do I fix this?

You are sending beacons from both APRSIS32 and the D710 using the same callsign-SSID.   But their configured coordinates don't match causing K3MI-1 to ping-pong between the two locations.  You can see this at https://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=K3MI-1   The Mic-E (non-readable) packets generated by the D710 and the readable ones with TCPIP* in the path are from ARPSIS32.

I see that you are using a KWD710(APRS) type port from APRSIS32 to the D710.  This port uses undocumented features to "steal" control of the radio's TNC away from the internal APRS functions whenever APRSIS32 wants to transmit.  Then the radio TNC is put back into APRS mode for local operation.  This mode switching behavior can cause packets to be missed and configurations to get mixed up.

A D710 is actually overkill as a radio interface for APRSIS32, but if you want to use it, I would recommend using a KWD710(KISS) type port and have the radio in Packet mode before activating APRSIS32.  The radio's display will no longer show any APRS information, but at least the power struggle will end.  The negative side effect of KWD710(KISS) mode though is that if the radio cycles power, it will drop out of KISS mode until APRSIS32 disables and re-enables the port to put it back into KISS mode.  Kenwood's internal TNC does not have a "lock in KISS" mode available.  You would want to set a quiet time just greater than the maximum idle delay of the local APRS RF channel.  With this properly configured, if the radio ever drops out of KISS mode, the packets will quit arriving and APRSIS32 will disable and re-enable the port automatically after the timeout.  If you set the timeout shorter than the maximum idle time on the local RF network, then the port enable will cycle unnecessarily again possibly causing packets to be dropped.

2. If you look at my APRS.fi 'raw packets' you will see a lot of duplicate packets.  How do I reduce or eliminate these duplicate packets?  My path is set to WIDE 1-1, WIDE 2-2.

Normally fixed stations don't need a local digipeater boost and specify only a WIDE2-1 path.  Right now, you're station may be copied on RF for 3 hops outwards in all directions.  Wouldn't surprise me if it's being copied in Ohio and West Virginia over RF alone!

3. It seems that every time I turn on another computer in the house I am seeing text files with contact information inside them.  They are entitled APRSIS32.text  and APRSIS23.XML.  How do I eliminate the generation of these files or stop them from going on other computers?  I took the computer connected to the D-710 off the 1Drive system.  Obviously it did not work.

APRSIS32 writes log files (APRSIS32*.LOG) and the configuration file (APRSIS32.XML) into the directory containing the original program (APRSIS32.EXE).  If that directory is being monitored by something like DropBox or OneDrive or GoogleDrive, then you'll be generating lots of replication traffic from those programs.  APRSIS32 does not contain any file distribution logic internally, so you need to look at what is on your computer(s) that is causing the files to propagate.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  I enjoy the new software.

Great to know!  Just ask whatever you're curious about and check out the Wiki at http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/

BTW, are you really at 1,280 feet above the average terrain (not above sea level)?  That's what your PHG is saying which is giving you a range of 63 miles.

K3MI-1 via T2UKRAINE
APRS-IS for Win32

PHG: 49w 1280ft 0dBi Omni (63mi)

[...]

Herb

Not being an APRSCE user nor a D-710 owner, I will only respond to your second item.  As a home station, you should never use a path of WIDE1-1 as that causes every station that hears you, to digipeat you which might explain the many duplicate packets.  As a home or fixed station, you should only use a path of WIDE2-2.  Give that a try and see if it helps.

Herb KB7UVC

[...]

Actually, the suggestion for fixed stations is just WIDE2-1 unless you really need two hops to get further afield in your local RF environment.

On 5/15/2022 4:00 PM, Herb wrote:

[...]

Adam Mahnke

Alternative, ensure the beacon on the D710 is OFF and it will also stop the ping pong and allow the radio to display APRS information. I use this successfully in a mobile application regularly

Adam
KC2ANT

On Sun, May 15, 2022, 15:57 Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

[...]

Ok so far.  Set Antenna height to 20 ft above Terrain.  I saw I had beaconing enabled in both the software and the radio.  I turned off the beacon in the software.  It should cut down the number of duplicates. I shall see.  Thanks