Lightning data

Greg D

Um, so I'm running one instance of APRSIS32, and have both IS and Firenet ports defined.  But the Firenet port doesn't have Transmit enabled, nor any of the iGate check boxes (RF to IS or IS to RF).

Isn't that effectively the same, but all on one screen?

Greg  KO6TH

KE6BB via groups.io wrote:

Re:  “Note that you should NOT connect an IGate to firenet. “

My mind just isn’t what it used to be.  You just reminded me WHY I started running separate instances, one for Amateur Radio APRS, on standard APRS tier 2 servers, and a second instance for weather watching  on firenet.  You also get weather advisories AND warnings on firenet.

I set this all up in 2016, so I think I will copy parts of your message and put it in a file for future reference.  My mind just isn’t what it used to be, or did I mention that already.

Mark

KE6BB

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...>

Date: 4/29/20 5:38 PM (GMT-08:00)

Subject: [APRSISCE] Ready for Release?

So, according to the second ("Upgrades") telemetry graph for KJ4ERJ at
aprs.fi, it appears that the upgrades are slowing down. So the $20,000
question is:  For those of you running the latest development release,
is it ready to be pushed out as the first General release since 2012?

https://aprs.fi/telemetry/a/KJ4ERJ?range=week

Avast logo

Mark, KE6BB

Greg,

I have done that in the past, and actually found that configuration on an old Windows 8 (upgraded to Win 10) tablet (Acer W8?) that I have used for years.  I usually run that as an RF only instance since we don’t really need additional Igates here in southern California (they don’t hurt anything either), and it gives me a good view of the RF environment.  I know, I can configure the scroller to see RF only, and the screen, etc., but I have found separate instances are simply easier for me to see and use.  That old tablet is also fanless, and 3 of my last 4 computer failures were due to fan freeze-up.  The tablet is too slow and “thermally challenged” for much of anything else, but APRSIS32 runs great on it.

The dual instance of APRSIS32 is what I have settled on, and it works great.  You only need one executable, but you create a shortcut for each instance using the .exe as the “Target” for both, and different “Start in” directories.  Each instance saves its own aprsis32.xml in its own target directory.  Works great.

Mark,

KE6BB

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

So, according to the second ("Upgrades") telemetry graph for KJ4ERJ at
aprs.fi, it appears that the upgrades are slowing down. So the $20,000
question is:  For those of you running the latest development release,
is it ready to be pushed out as the first General release since 2012?

https://aprs.fi/telemetry/a/KJ4ERJ?range=week

Avast logo

Just another hint, you know you can point both instances to a single directory and they'll share tiles?

Even when I get MBTiles support finished in APRSIS32, multiple instances will be able to concurrently share a tiles database.  Not so on Android or under MOAI, but APRSISCE/32 has the advantage of invoking the SqLite C API natively.

On 4/30/2020 7:59 PM, KE6BB via groups.io wrote:

[...]

Sure.  But bottom line, using two instances only gives a cosmetic separation of the screen's data, no effect on the traffic or functionality.

That's what I was thinking.  One instance is less CPU and RAM consumed, but gives only a single filter to the screen data at a time.

Greg  KO6TH

Lynn Deffenbaugh wrote:

[...]

Yes!  I have been doing that for some time.  Good to know that MBTiles can also be shared.  I am looking forward to using them.

BTW, this dual instance all started because I wanted easy APRS only viewing at times, and easy weather watching other times without a lot of reconfiguring in going back and forth.  You were working with others on HF/VHF instances, so I thought, “Why not give it a try!”  It just stuck.  Once I implemented shared tiles, which took a lot of careful XML file editing, the resources to run 2 instances dropped dramatically.

Tnx.

Mark

KE6BB

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

So, according to the second ("Upgrades") telemetry graph for KJ4ERJ at
aprs.fi, it appears that the upgrades are slowing down. So the $20,000
question is:  For those of you running the latest development release,
is it ready to be pushed out as the first General release since 2012?

https://aprs.fi/telemetry/a/KJ4ERJ?range=week

Avast logo

Mark, KE6BB

Greg,

Yes, I understand the bottom line, but CPU and RAM are really inexpensive these days.  The way I am set up, I can use any computer in the house for APRS and/or for RF.  Any combination I want without reconfiguration within the program.  Sadly, I have too many computers.

I just enabled the firenet port on my tablet, I think it is in the configuration you are suggesting.  In the scroller, I am seeing a lot of stations scrolling by that are not RF.  I tried configuring the scroller to view RF only, and it helped, but it appeared only partially effective.  Those stations may be from firenet since I have IS disabled.  I will work with it some more, and also try to filter non-rf at the IS server, but since the firenet port is not my IS port, I’m not sure how to apply them.  I think filters applied by the configuration menu are applied to the APRS-IS port only.

I will work on it more tomorrow.

Regards.

Mark,

KE6BB

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

So, according to the second ("Upgrades") telemetry graph for KJ4ERJ at
aprs.fi, it appears that the upgrades are slowing down. So the $20,000
question is:  For those of you running the latest development release,
is it ready to be pushed out as the first General release since 2012?

https://aprs.fi/telemetry/a/KJ4ERJ?range=week

Avast logo

Greg D

Sounds good, Mark.  There are lots of tradeoffs and customization opportunities, depending on one's circumstances.

Greg  KO6TH

KE6BB via groups.io wrote:

[...]

Fred Hillhouse

Hi Greg,

I never thought to have two internet ports. I run two instances so I can see different groups of data. I display earthquakes, NWS, lightning, and a few other odds and ends, on my firenet instance. I display the typical items on my APRS-IS port instance. Each instance has different filter settings.

Best regards,

Fred N7FMH

So, according to the second ("Upgrades") telemetry graph for KJ4ERJ at
aprs.fi, it appears that the upgrades are slowing down. So the $20,000
question is:  For those of you running the latest development release,
is it ready to be pushed out as the first General release since 2012?

https://aprs.fi/telemetry/a/KJ4ERJ?range=week

Avast logo

As long as the APRS-IS port is connected to the mainstream network and the additional port is connected to firenet, you should be OK from an IGate perspective.  IGating recption only transmits on the APRS-IS port (plus any local server ports you may be running).

The same filter is sent to both ports, IIRC.  I'm not completely certain of that because my extra ports are all connected to port 10152 for a full feed.

I do know that the CWOP servers don't do any filtering on any port, so if you connect there, be ready for a flood of blue stations!

But if you want different filters, then you definitely need to run two instances.

On 5/1/2020 9:40 AM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:

Hi Greg,

I never thought to have two internet ports. I run two instances so I can see different groups of data. I display earthquakes, NWS, lightning, and a few other odds and ends, on my firenet instance. I display the typical items on my APRS-IS port instance. Each instance has different filter settings.

Best regards,

Fred N7FMH

So, according to the second ("Upgrades") telemetry graph for KJ4ERJ at
aprs.fi, it appears that the upgrades are slowing down. So the $20,000
question is:  For those of you running the latest development release,
is it ready to be pushed out as the first General release since 2012?

https://aprs.fi/telemetry/a/KJ4ERJ?range=week

Avast logo

Fred Hillhouse

I can understand Greg’s usage. If mobile with a single display, it is useful to see the local traffic and some data that only exists on Firenet. How many vehicles have room for more than one display?

Sitting at home, multiple instances are easy and maybe the most convenient.

Best regards,

Fred N7FMH

So, according to the second ("Upgrades") telemetry graph for KJ4ERJ at
aprs.fi, it appears that the upgrades are slowing down. So the $20,000
question is:  For those of you running the latest development release,
is it ready to be pushed out as the first General release since 2012?

https://aprs.fi/telemetry/a/KJ4ERJ?range=week

Avast logo

Greg D

Actually, this is on my home system.  I'm running Linux on it, with 4 Desktops.  One is dedicated to APRSIS32, full-screen (such as a 22" inch display is these days).  The others are for various other themes (email, etc.).  I still find it easiest to just have the one instance running.

To Lynn's thought about separate filters, I hadn't considered that, but it seems to work out ok.  I'm not finding a lot of stuff on the screen that I would want to partition out into separate instances.  I think all I have as a filter is s//Q (earthquakes), which is a constant source of entertainment out here in California.  That only applies to Firenet, and sources nothing from APRSIS.

As for the Mobile, I'm running YAAC there.  It's got a better format for the small VGA in-dash display (shared with the backup camera), and it runs on the Raspberry Pi that I have connected to the radio.  The cell phone, if it's doing APRS, tends to run APRSDroid, or I just get lazy and share my position with the family through Google Maps if I'm on my way there.

Greg  KO6TH