KWD TM-D710G connection to accept Davis VP2 output?

KD7YZ Bob

I note several stations on my APRSIS32 display who also have a blue Wx symbol.
And, btw, I'll ask this on a D710 BBS also.
How to I get the info from the Console to the Davis-APRS-Wx jack a 2mm 3-pinj plug ???

My Davis already has an IP Data-Logger ...ethernet to the DSL Modem.
So I can't stop using that.

I just got off the fone with Davis tech support. It seems I have to buy about 400 bucks worth of a Vue console plus data logger ... then that cable is RS-232 only, coming out of the Vantage Vue console (their low end station).

So it still wont go into the Davis.

Davis "one upon a time" had WeatherLink for APRS and subsequent cables. According to the nice tech support at Davis, they haven't had that for a while.

tnx for reading.

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Have you double-checked the raw packets of those "several stations...also have a blue Wx symbol" to see if they are actually doing the weather through the D710 and not just sharing the callsign-SSID between the D710 and another APRS weather station?

Example callsign-SSIDs would go a long way to helping other folks help you understand what you are seeing.

On 11/23/2021 2:15 PM, KD7YZ Bob wrote:
I note several stations on my APRSIS32 display who also have a blue Wx symbol.
And, btw, I'll ask this on a D710 BBS also.
How to I get the info from the Console to the Davis-APRS-Wx jack a 2mm 3-pinj plug ???

My Davis already has an IP Data-Logger ...ethernet to the DSL Modem.
So I can't stop using that.

I just got off the fone with Davis tech support. It seems I have to buy about 400 bucks worth of a Vue console plus data logger ... then that cable is RS-232 only, coming out of the Vantage Vue console (their low end station).

So it still wont go into the Davis.

Davis "one upon a time" had WeatherLink for APRS and subsequent cables. According to the nice tech support at Davis, they haven't had that for a while.

tnx for reading.

Greg Depew

I can't help with the connection direct to the radio, but I have a Vue connected for APRS.

 I have the console data logger ran into the computer via USB. It shows up as a com port, then I have Cumulus send it via CWOP to APRS and it is also generating a wxnow.txt file that APRSIS32 can parse and pass onto RF and IS.  So I've got it going out 3 different ways as backup.

KB3KBR Greg. Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

I note several stations on my APRSIS32 display who also have a blue Wx symbol.
And, btw, I'll ask this on a D710 BBS also.
How to I  get the info from the Console to the Davis-APRS-Wx jack a 2mm 3-pinj plug ???

My Davis already has an IP Data-Logger ...ethernet to the DSL Modem.
So I can't stop using that.

I just got off the fone with Davis tech support. It seems I have to buy about 400 bucks worth of a Vue console plus data logger ... then that cable is RS-232 only, coming out of the Vantage Vue console (their low end station).

So it still wont go into the Davis.

Davis "one upon a time" had WeatherLink for APRS and subsequent cables. According to the nice tech support at Davis, they haven't had that for a while.

tnx for reading.

Don Woodward

I have a Davis Vantage Vue with a Meteobridge - if you feed to CWOP (Citizens Weather Observer Program) it will send your position into APRS via the Internet connection on the Meteobridge.  I also have an Ambient Weaterstaion at another location with a Metobridge that also sends to CWOP.

There is a serial port for the Vue, but I have the Ethernet adapter on which it talks to the MeteoBridge.

73's

Don W.
KD4APP

I note several stations on my APRSIS32 display who also have a blue Wx symbol.
And, btw, I'll ask this on a D710 BBS also.
How to I  get the info from the Console to the Davis-APRS-Wx jack a 2mm 3-pinj plug ???

My Davis already has an IP Data-Logger ...ethernet to the DSL Modem.
So I can't stop using that.

I just got off the fone with Davis tech support. It seems I have to buy about 400 bucks worth of a Vue console plus data logger ... then that cable is RS-232 only, coming out of the Vantage Vue console (their low end station).

So it still wont go into the Davis.

Davis "one upon a time" had WeatherLink for APRS and subsequent cables. According to the nice tech support at Davis, they haven't had that for a while.

tnx for reading.

KD7YZ Bob

Hi Don, and other responders:
I already feed to CWOP.
I "think" I do it via the Davis feed, at their we site, IIRC.

And when I look on my APRSIS32 screen I don't see it.
Or just maybe, I don't know how to make it appear?

Nonetheless, Don, I'll do a search on Meteobridge and see if it can tap the VantagePro2's existent plugin ethernet/IP adapter.

I just can't understand why Davis Co. dropped the ability to feed straight into the TM-D710G .

Jack L. Blake Sr (AI4LL)

try the tempest weather station.
Jack L. Blake

On Wed, Nov 24, 2021 at 6:15 AM KD7YZ Bob <kd7yz@...> wrote:
Hi Don, and other responders:
I already feed to CWOP.
I "think" I do it via the Davis feed, at their we site, IIRC.

And when I look on my APRSIS32 screen I don't see it.
Or just maybe, I don't know how to make it appear?

Nonetheless, Don, I'll do a search on Meteobridge and see if it can tap the VantagePro2's existent plugin ethernet/IP adapter.

I just can't understand why Davis Co. dropped the ability to feed straight into the TM-D710G .

Lynn Deffenbaugh

CWOP uses the APRS protocol, but those stations do not appear on the APRS-IS.  There is a way to get a feed from CWOP, but it is unfiltered, so you get the entire planet's CWOP stations if you tap into it.  That's about 10-12K packets per hour.

On 11/24/2021 6:15 AM, KD7YZ Bob wrote:
Hi Don, and other responders:
I already feed to CWOP.
I "think" I do it via the Davis feed, at their we site, IIRC.

And when I look on my APRSIS32 screen I don't see it.
Or just maybe, I don't know how to make it appear?

Nonetheless, Don, I'll do a search on Meteobridge and see if it can tap the VantagePro2's existent plugin ethernet/IP adapter.

I just can't understand why Davis Co. dropped the ability to feed straight into the TM-D710G .

Don Woodward

My Weather Station appears on APRS.FI - is that different from APRS-IS?

73's

Don W.
KD4APP
EM84au

CWOP uses the APRS protocol, but those stations do not appear on the
APRS-IS.  There is a way to get a feed from CWOP, but it is unfiltered,
so you get the entire planet's CWOP stations if you tap into it.  That's
about 10-12K packets per hour.

On 11/24/2021 6:15 AM, KD7YZ Bob wrote:
> Hi Don, and other responders:
> I already feed to CWOP.
> I "think" I do it via the Davis feed, at their we site, IIRC.
>
> And when I look on my APRSIS32 screen I don't see it.
> Or just maybe, I don't know how to make it appear?
>
> Nonetheless, Don, I'll do a search on Meteobridge and see if it can tap the VantagePro2's existent plugin ethernet/IP adapter.
>
> I just can't understand why Davis Co. dropped the ability to feed straight into the TM-D710G .

Lynn Deffenbaugh

aprs.fi has multiple feeds and draws from both the APRS-IS and CWOP in addition to ship traffic and I don't know what all else.  But by default, APRSIS32 only draws from the APRS-IS.

On 11/24/2021 8:04 AM, Don Woodward wrote:
My Weather Station appears on APRS.FI - is that different from APRS-IS?

73's

Don W.
KD4APP
EM84au

CWOP uses the APRS protocol, but those stations do not appear on the
APRS-IS.  There is a way to get a feed from CWOP, but it is unfiltered,
so you get the entire planet's CWOP stations if you tap into it.  That's
about 10-12K packets per hour.

On 11/24/2021 6:15 AM, KD7YZ Bob wrote:
> Hi Don, and other responders:
> I already feed to CWOP.
> I "think" I do it via the Davis feed, at their we site, IIRC.
>
> And when I look on my APRSIS32 screen I don't see it.
> Or just maybe, I don't know how to make it appear?
>
> Nonetheless, Don, I'll do a search on Meteobridge and see if it can tap the VantagePro2's existent plugin ethernet/IP adapter.
>
> I just can't understand why Davis Co. dropped the ability to feed straight into the TM-D710G .

KD7YZ Bob

Hey Do, how'd you pull that up? Or where ?

mine is EW3948

so can I pull the data into APRSIS32 your way?

Glenn O'Connor

KD7YZ Bob

ok Glenn, nice ! how did u pull that Up
and
how do I put that on my APRSIS page?

Or? Should I?

Don Woodward

Bob:

Go to https://aprsis.fi and search for your weather station ID.

Unfortunately, as Lynn pointed out the data from CWOP goes to APRS.FI but APRSIS does not get that data so it won't appear in APRSIS32.

73's

Don W.
KD4APP
EM84au

From: KD7YZ Bob <kd7yz@...>
Date: 11/24/21 15:21 (GMT-05:00)
To: APRSISCE@groups.io

Roger Lynn's description of the excessive data.

So, take these three stations I see on my Screen.
K8WEH, WV8BRW, K8RRT.

They have a Wx  icon; they have wind-speed, direction and Temperature.
In the beginning, all I said I want to do is put that data up.
I learned it was not possible with the D710GA.
It is not possible, according to Davis Tech Support, to have BOTH the Wx-logger IP as well as an output to the kenwood ... or anything else for that matter.

I learned it's useless to try to use the data that I ship to CWOP/APRS due the the shear volume of data resident at any moment.

Davis said I "could" purchase another Wx station and have it put out to the D710 but only if I designed an adapter to go from the us232 to a 2.5mm three-point plug to the radio.

So what method is left?

KD7YZ Bob

My Davis VP2 data gets to the DavisNet site (weatherlink)
On that side I designate up to 6 other place to pipe it raw.
One is CWOP
the other is WeatherUnderground.

Ostensibly, CWOP sends it to APRS-IS.

I ask again, how do I get the data to my APRSIS32 screen like many others "appear" to be doing handily.

Greg Depew

Is there an option to pipe the data to a wxnow.txt file?  A local file on your machine that 32 looks at and parses the weather data to send via RF and IS.

This is the only way I know of making your local weather show up on your local 32 instance without making a port or another instance to either Firenet or CWOP.

On 11/24/2021 5:42 PM, KD7YZ Bob wrote:
Ostensibly, CWOP sends it to APRS-IS.
Nope, CWOP uses the APRS protocol, but it is a completely different and separate network than the APRS-IS network that APRSIS32 connects to by default and in most (non-firenet) configurations.

I ask again, how do I get the data to my APRSIS32 screen like many others "appear" to be doing handily.
Please define "many others".   There are many amateur radio operators that are putting their packets directly in the the APRS-IS network and not touching CWOP.  These are the weather stations that show up with their callsign and not XXnnnn IDs.