KPC-3+ vs KISS (was: Password request)

Lynn Deffenbaugh

The KISS-type port provides initialization strings for a Kenwood internal TNC.  Yes, I know the name is misleading, but it goes way back into ancient history.

What you probably want is to lock your KPC-3+ into KISS mode and use a Simply(KISS) type port in APRSIS32.  Simply(KISS) provides no initialization strings and assumes that the connected TNC will already be in KISS mode.

Alternatively, you can read about KPC-3+ TNC initialization on the wiki at:

http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/tnc-kpc-3

On 5/18/2022 8:06 AM, John via groups.io wrote:
Hello All,

I have just installed APRSISCE and intend to migrate to this from previously using Pinpoint.  I understand that I will need a password to transmit via the internet.  How do I go about receiving one?

One other early question.  My KPC-3 + USB is working fine with Pinpoint APRS TX/RX but I can't seem to get it to beacon with APRSISCE.  I have configured the port as KISS, 8, none, 1, etc and I do get the scrolling at upper left that the TNC is connected.  Also have enabled the port for the TNC.  Just no transmit.  Anything glaring that I may have missed?

73's,

John, N4WFK

John

Lynn,

Thanks for the info on the KPC 3 setup.  And, understood to use the same passcode that I was issued and used with Pinpoint.

73's,

John