Internet only stations

John Rudolph

On Halloween we ran an ARES event, Pumpkin Patrol, and had many of our posts run various cellphone APRS apps since few have RF rigs. I was using APRSIS via agwpe to igate the traffic to the RF only stations but the cellphone only stations while showing on aprs.fi were never igated. In settings I had everything selected to igate but it still didnt work. Any suggestions on why that may be and how do I make it work for future events?

Rob Giuliano

I am pretty sure the check boxes are for 2-way traffic messaging.  So a message that starts on RF and goes through IS can be replied to - provided it didn't get into the system from a listen only IGATE.

One way traffic (like position reports) can get tricky because you can easily overwhelm the RF system with the volume of traffic from the internet.  This can be done with the development version of APRSIS32 through a special filter after testing.
  <Ctrl>G   and set a filter to limited what goes from IS to RF
This should be specific enough to ensure that only the information for your event is gated to RF from your igate.  This might be rather difficult.

I don't remember the next <Ctrl> key to have APRSIS32 use the test filter and start the process.  You will have to check the WIKI or maybe someone else.

On Sunday, November 22, 2020, 11:52:07 AM EST, John Rudolph <john@...> wrote:

On Halloween we ran an ARES event, Pumpkin Patrol, and had many of our posts run various cellphone APRS apps since few have RF rigs. I was using APRSIS via agwpe to igate the traffic to the RF only stations but the cellphone only stations while showing on aprs.fi were never igated. In settings I had everything selected to igate but it still didnt work. Any suggestions on why that may be and how do I make it work for future events?

Greg Depew

Control i will open the gate function to send to rf.

KB3KBR Greg.
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

[...]

Lynn Deffenbaugh

The aprs.fi app on the iPhone platform is aprs.fi ONLY!  It does not (last I knew) pass any traffic through to the APRS-IS.  As it says in the app store listing at https://apps.apple.com/us/app/aprs-fi/id922155038

• Beacon your position on aprs.fi

Read that CAREFULLY!  And as one review stated:

MrWzrd2,

Not what I consider APRS

Wasted my money on an app calling itself aprs.... that does not talk to any aprs not using aprs-fi.

Packets are NOT transmitted into the aprs network so you can not be heard by hams monitoring. This fact is buried derp in the about section of the app. It should be stated plainly on the app store page. Would never had purchased it if this fact was known.

Lake of this ability completely destroys all the features it has. ( like a Cadillac without wheels... all the plush in the world but the deal breaker is it cannot move)

Developer Response,

I’m sorry it got you by a surprise. The app description on the store does say it beacons to aprs.fi specifically.

Version 2.0 adds a new Extra Features subscription package which includes APRS-IS beaconing, APRS text messaging and a DSP audio modem, and a few smaller things!

But apparently this IS now included in the subscription package where it does say:

• APRS-IS beaconing, with up to 10 callsign profiles

So, presuming your "but the cellphone only stations while showing on aprs.fi" were actually iPhone users using the aprs.fi app, there is nothing to be done for it.

On 11/22/2020 11:51 AM, John Rudolph wrote:
On Halloween we ran an ARES event, Pumpkin Patrol, and had many of our posts run various cellphone APRS apps since few have RF rigs. I was using APRSIS via agwpe to igate the traffic to the RF only stations but the cellphone only stations while showing on aprs.fi were never igated. In settings I had everything selected to igate but it still didnt work. Any suggestions on why that may be and how do I make it work for future events?

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Yes, the checkboxes govern "normal" IGate functionality.  To gate arbitrary packets from the APRS-IS to RF, follow the steps below:

1) Hit Control-G to enter a test filter.   Something like "m/10 +t/p +d/TCPIP" would get you stations within 10 km of your current location, must be posit packets and have TCPIP in their "digipeater" path.  Note the "+" qualifier is APRSIS32-specific and joins that filter term with an AND instead of the default OR for filter terms.

2) After monitoring the test filter trace log for a while to ensure that you're not getting TOO many packets...

3) Hit Control-I to adopt the filter and gate those packets to your RF port(s) as 3rd party packets.

Note that there is nothing in the filter spec to prevent gating filter-selected packets to RF for stations that were seen on RF.  So if you have any RF stations beaconing to the APRS-IS directly, you'll end up 3rd party gating their APRS-IS packets back to RF.

Filtered gating from the APRS-IS to RF is not something to be taken lightly.  It is fraught with peril and quite likely to flood the local RF channel, particularly if an unexpected, mis-behaving APRS-IS station starts matching your filter.

I really recommend individual station filtering through the buddy (b/) filter rather than any range-based filter.  That way you are individually selecting the stations that you will be using.  Something like the following in place of the m/10 shown above.

b/call1-SS/call2-SS/call3

And play with the filters (without the Control-I) for days, weeks, or even months before the event so that you get an idea of just what packets are being select.  And even then, when the actual event starts and additional stations come out of the woodwork, you have to keep an eye on things so they don't run amok.

PS.  The Control-G/Control-I is purposely not persistent and must be re-configured after every APRSIS32 restart.  It is designed for targetted use and not routine, ongoing, (and likely) unmonitored gating of APRS-IS packets to the local RF environment.

On 11/22/2020 12:35 PM, Rob Giuliano via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Just played with the proposed filter for a bit and have now extended it to:

+t/p m/25 +d/TCPIP -t/o -t/i

This will exclude objects and items like DStar objects and hot-spots...

And while writing this up, I've further extended it to:

+t/p m/25 +d/TCPIP -t/o -t/i -u/APDG*/APOS

which removes DStarGateway and OpenSpot generated packets via their unproto (ToCall) values.  But even that's not really good enough...  It's FAR better to just select the callsign-SSIDs you're interested in with buddy filters!

PS.  Here's some of the packets you would probably NOT want to gate to RF:

WinMain:2020-11-22T21:24:34.692 IS[APRS-IS](Hit(m/15.5mi)) [1]K1JOG-B>APDG02,TCPIP*,qAC,K1JOG-BS:!2810.61ND08128.68W&RNG0001 440 Voice 446.61250MHz +0.0000MHz
WinMain:2020-11-22T21:24:52.539 IS[APRS-IS](Hit(m/15.5mi)) [0]WD4WDW-B>APJI40,TCPIP*,qAC,WD4WDW-GS:!2823.72ND08131.87W&RNG0030 440 Voice 442.000
WinMain:2020-11-22T21:26:18.639 IS[APRS-IS](Hit(m/15.5mi)) [0]NO4MM-B>APDG02,TCPIP*,qAC,NO4MM-BS:!2817.95ND08128.50W&RNG0001 440 Voice 439.81750MHz +0.0000MHz
WinMain:2020-11-22T21:27:21.966 IS[APRS-IS](Hit(m/15.5mi)) [0]NS1X-N>APDG03,TCPIP*,qAC,T2CAEAST:!2827.00ND08136.60W&/A=000000440 MMDVM Voice 438.80000MHz +0.0000MHz, NS1X_Pi-Star
WinMain:2020-11-22T21:27:31.982 IS[APRS-IS](Hit(m/15.5mi)) [0]WP4JMV>APOSW,TCPIP*,qAC,T2HAKATA:@222127z2818.75N\08122.50W-/A=000000SharkRF openSPOT2
WinMain:2020-11-22T21:28:33.102 IS[APRS-IS](Hit(m/15.5mi)) [1]NO3E-B>APDG02,TCPIP*,qAC,NO3E-BS:!2815.27ND08117.64W&RNG0001 440 Voice 446.71250MHz +0.0000MHz

And during that short time span, this is the only one that MAYBE you'd want to pass along...

WinMain:2020-11-22T21:26:50.858 IS[APRS-IS](Hit(m/15.5mi)) [0]KG7PVM>APRS,TCPIP*,qAC,T2NALA:@222126z2813.82N/08130.00W_109/002g002t077r000p000P000h77b10170L046AmbientCWOP.com

On 11/22/2020 4:07 PM, Lynn Deffenbaugh wrote:

[...]

I'm now up to:

+t/p m/50 +d/TCPIP -t/oiw -u/APDG*/APOSW/APJI*

which eliminates weather and another source of DStar gateways.  But I still get a lot of fixed stations with this filter.

Maybe if you could have all APRS-IS stations use a specific symbol that is not commonly used, you could use an s/ filter in place of the m/50.   That'd be closer to selecting the desired stations instead of trying to weed out all the undesired stations.

On 11/22/2020 4:32 PM, Lynn Deffenbaugh wrote:

[...]

Arnold Harding - KQ6DI

I keep most non-APRS stations off my map with
-u/APBM*/APDG*/APWL*/APJI*
This also prevents my IGate from sending positions from these stations (even though it's DireWolf).

I hadn't thought about eliminating weather as well.
Arnold, KQ6DI

On 11/22/2020 2:05 PM Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

[...]

Christopher Rose <kb8uih88@...>

There is a program or app for android phones call aprs droid. Subscription serv8ce I think. That will use data from your phone to cell towers to send position reports to internet, and to aprs.fi. Don't know it it works on I phones or if there is also an I phone app to do the same thing

[...]

Brian Webster

The original poster would be happy with just using the buddy filter option. This particular evolution he only wanted to send particular stations traffic back over RF. So learning how to do the buddy filter back out over RF would be the solution he would like to use. I am not 100% sure how to do it in APRSISCE myself. I was the one who actually wanted to see the phones that were connected only to the IS. I like to run my station on RF only and was not seeing the IS only users using a phone app.

What would be the proper procedure in the software to gate only specific station out over RF?

Brian N2KGC

[...]

That question was answered as part of the thread (slightly edited):

On Sunday, November 22, 2020, 4:07:25 PM EST, Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

Yes, the checkboxes govern "normal" IGate functionality.  To gate arbitrary packets from the APRS-IS to RF, follow the steps below:

1) Hit Control-G to enter a test filter.   Something like " b/call1-SS/call2-SS/call3-SS" ... .
    Note the "+" qualifier is APRSIS32-specific and joins that filter term with an AND instead of the
    default OR for filter terms.

2) After monitoring the test filter trace log for a while to ensure that you're not getting TOO many packets...

3) Hit Control-I to adopt (Implement) the filter and gate those packets to your RF port(s) as 3rd party packets.

Note that there is nothing in the filter spec to prevent gating filter-selected packets to RF for stations that were seen on RF.  So if you have any RF stations beaconing to the APRS-IS directly, you'll end up 3rd party gating their APRS-IS packets back to RF.

Filtered gating from the APRS-IS to RF is not something to be taken lightly.  It is fraught with peril and quite likely to flood the local RF channel, particularly if an unexpected, mis-behaving APRS-IS station starts matching your filter.

I really recommend individual station filtering through the buddy (b/) filter rather than any range-based filter.  That way you are individually selecting the stations that you will be using.

b/call1-SS/call2-SS/call3-SS

And play with the filters (without the Control-I) for days, weeks, or even months before the event so that you get an idea of just what packets are being select.  And even then, when the actual event starts and additional stations come out of the woodwork, you have to keep an eye on things so they don't run amok.

PS.  The Control-G/Control-I is purposely not persistent and must be re-configured after every APRSIS32 restart.  It is designed for targetted use and not routine, ongoing, (and likely) unmonitored gating of APRS-IS packets to the local RF environment.

I do not recall the maximum number of callsigns you can put into the buddy filter, but you should be able to look that up
 or just find see if you hit a limit.

On Monday, November 23, 2020, 12:21:56 AM EST, Brian Webster via groups.io <radiowebst@...> wrote:

[...]

And if you want to only include position packets (likely), add a "+t/p" to the buddy filter, separated by a space.  Otherwise you'll end up gating ALL packets from the buddy stations which is probably more than you're interested in if those stations happen to generate telemetry or inject objects to the APRS-IS.

On 11/23/2020 10:25 AM, Rob Giuliano via groups.io wrote:
That question was answered as part of the thread (slightly edited):

On Sunday, November 22, 2020, 4:07:25 PM EST, Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

Yes, the checkboxes govern "normal" IGate functionality.  To gate arbitrary packets from the APRS-IS to RF, follow the steps below:

1) Hit Control-G to enter a test filter.   Something like " b/call1-SS/call2-SS/call3-SS +t/p" ... .
[...]

Oh, and to filter for only APRS-IS direct packets, add a +d/TCPIP which restricts the matching packets to only those with TCPIP in their "digipeater" path.

On 11/23/2020 10:44 AM, Lynn Deffenbaugh wrote:

And if you want to only include position packets (likely), add a "+t/p" to the buddy filter, separated by a space.  Otherwise you'll end up gating ALL packets from the buddy stations which is probably more than you're interested in if those stations happen to generate telemetry or inject objects to the APRS-IS.

On 11/23/2020 10:25 AM, Rob Giuliano via groups.io wrote:
That question was answered as part of the thread (slightly edited):

On Sunday, November 22, 2020, 4:07:25 PM EST, Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

Yes, the checkboxes govern "normal" IGate functionality.  To gate arbitrary packets from the APRS-IS to RF, follow the steps below:

1) Hit Control-G to enter a test filter.   Something like " b/call1-SS/call2-SS/call3-SS +t/p +d/TCPIP
[...]

Thanks guys. That’s the answer we needed.

Brian N2KGC

[...]

Fred Hillhouse

I am not sure that iPhones running the APRS.FI application will be available on APRS-IS which is where the filters work.

You will need to verify before depending on it.

You might be able to check this by changing your call sign to one from an iPhone.

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?call=N2KGC-3

Don’t check with APRS.FI. I believe it may give you a false positive.

When you find out, please post the results.

Fred N7FMH

[...]

Avast logo

My son-in-law has the aprs.fi app on his cellphone.  It delivers packets to the APRS-IS, but only if you have the subscription upgrade.  At least, I THINK it does.  I didn't actually verify this when we were together last week.  Maybe sometime over Christmas I'll have another chance.

On 12/5/2020 10:17 AM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:

[...]

Jean-Pierre Desilets

Hi  group  , aprs.fi ios  application for  i-phone  report  the position  direct to  aprs.fi server  without  passing  though the aprs-is network  tier2 .
you can see  ve2se-i  ( my iphone) on  aprs.fi  but  not  on  findu.com for example

Jean-Pierre  ve2se