Topics

Important Info regarding the SCS tracker I learned from Lynn!

macclad44@...

Well we'll see when the propagation improves tomorrow but I think we have this solved.
(Mostly me being sillly but Lynn was able to sleuth).
In the config description in Robust-packet.net, it says that you should power down the SCS tracker when getting out of KISS mode or it won't re-enter KISS mode properly.."This is being investigated" it says.. I REMEMBER reading that and ignoring it!  I did so at my own peril.  Then when I captured the logging info Lynn noticed that it was complaining that I wasn't in KISS mode.  And, I NEVER noticed that there's an LED that SHOULD light up when you're in KISS mode. I HAVE NEVER HAD THAT LIGHT ON BEFORE!

So I exited APRSISCE, unpowered the SCS tracker, powered it back up, then re-started APRSISCE (and we fixed some other stuff) and POOF!  There's an LED that I had never seen before!  On the bottom of the LED it says, "KISS mode" OOOOOOOOHHHH! THAT's why I've heard stations, I've had the decode light go on, and I've transmitted, but since I wasn't in KISS mode (because of the power-on issue mentioned in the Robust-packet.net "manual", and I transmitted, but it transmitted some kinda gibberish, so nobody could see me, then when I received stuff (and the SCS tracker COULD internally decode that, the data was not sent out the USB port correctly) I didn't see anything.

My bets are on this will be fine. I'm in receive mode only right now and will see if anything is being received by morning or at least by noon.
Then I'll take it off of receive only and send out a beacon or four, and see if they're heard by anybody.

Thanks again Lynn!  Film at eleven.

todd.dugdale@...

So this entire epic saga had nothing to do with APRSIS32, or even with APRS at all? It was just technical support for a poorly-documented piece of hardware.
As someone who muted the original tedious and endless discussion, I especially appreciate how it was turned into a new topic so that everyone who tuned out of the 'thrilling' daily drama got to hear the eye-rolling conclusion.

Lynn Deffenbaugh

The biggest lesson to be learned by all is if you see any messages in a KISS-type port trace log that mentions "Missing C0", that means that the TNC said something to APRSIS32 that was not wrapped in a proper KISS packet, likely meaning the TNC is NOT in KISS mode no matter whose instructions were followed to supposedly put it there.

And the Transmit menu option wasn't triggering an actual PTT from the TNC, reinforcing the fact that APRSIS32 and the TNC were likely not communicating properly.

The actual one-liner from the SCS Tracker / APRSIS32 configuration guide at https://robust-packet.net/Robust-Packet-Network-Manual.pdf is:

Anyhow, when restarting APRSIS32 it is vital to switch the tracker powerless for a second (under investigation).

It's only that line coupled with the knowledge of what "Missing C0" means to APRSIS32 that allowed us to get his installation this far.  Presumably it's working but his APRSIS32 instance still hasn't actually copied a packet from the SCS Tracker.  And my own RPR work is not using any SCS hardware, but the new WinRPR sound-card TNC implementation.

On 1/19/2021 6:45 AM, todd.dugdale@... wrote:
So this entire epic saga had nothing to do with APRSIS32, or even with APRS at all? It was just technical support for a poorly-documented piece of hardware.
As someone who muted the original tedious and endless discussion, I especially appreciate how it was turned into a new topic so that everyone who tuned out of the 'thrilling' daily drama got to hear the eye-rolling conclusion.

todd.dugdale@...

I guess I was hoping that one of the lessons to be learned is "Don't open multiple new topics for the same issue".  Or at least, "Don't open a new topic daily for the same issue".
Or possibly we could learn that doing this defeats the purpose of the mute function.

I'd have liked that lesson to be absorbed, because it would allow people who aren't interested in the configuration of a TNC they will never own to avoid getting multiple daily emails with the latest thrilling chapter of that struggle. There's little point in muting each thrilling chapter of the struggle, because a new topic will be opened the next day.

macclad44@...

Well it DID say you SHOULD power off and power back on the SCS tracker. I read it, and disregarded it  And I didn't know WHAT a back packet looked like in the logging file .  Lynn honed in on it immediately.
His software is GOOD!  It did all it should. Even with Lynn not being familiar with the SCS tracker he  had the good sense to go BACK to that manual in robust-packet.net and FIND that info.  Info I had ALREADY read.  But it DOES say the
issue is under investigation so I just blew it off.
All credit goes to Lynn. Also the far right LED should be lit when in Kiss mode. Shhhhoooot I didn't know that!

macclad44@...

Oh I've copied packets now... hah hah! All good Lynn!

macclad44@...

Todd sorry a bout that excessive verbiage on my part.  Mea culpa.  It will settle down now as it's fixed. I worked on it for well over a man-week with no progress so I was frustrated.