Igate setup

Alder Kail

Hello, I'm new to groups.io and I'm new to this software! I have two questions and hopefully I can get on my way. The spot that I live in is fairly rural and I'm trying to set up an Igate and possibly a digipeater in the future. I already have a passcode for APRS-IS from another program I was using (APRSdroid) so I was confused whether I would be breaking any rules or not if I just slapped that in APRSIS32 and started up an Igate, or if I needed a moderator to verify my information or activate my passcode or something? My second question, do I need to notify anyone that runs the APRS servers that I will be injecting information onto their website? I'm still trying to learn about all these things, but there doesn't seem to be much information readily available on the internet, and after a lot of digging decided to just ask here. Thanks to anyone that can shed some light on this for me! - Ian, KI5IBL

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Welcome to APRS!

The passcode is generated from your callsign and is used to access the APRS-IS network.  Some other APRS software may have additional security levels (UI-View comes to mind), but APRSISCE/32 only needs the APRS-IS passcode.  It is perfectly fine to use the one from APRSdroid, provided that you're using the same base callsign.  The passcode works with any -SSID.

No, you do not need any permission from the APRS-IS servers.  I recommend that you use noam.aprs2.net so that your connection goes to a lightly loaded server in North America.  Stations not in North America might want to use rotate.aprs2.net as their APRS-IS server specification.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

On 8/3/2020 5:27 AM, Alder Kail wrote:
Hello, I'm new to groups.io and I'm new to this software! I have two questions and hopefully I can get on my way. The spot that I live in is fairly rural and I'm trying to set up an Igate and possibly a digipeater in the future. I already have a passcode for APRS-IS from another program I was using (APRSdroid) so I was confused whether I would be breaking any rules or not if I just slapped that in APRSIS32 and started up an Igate, or if I needed a moderator to verify my information or activate my passcode or something? My second question, do I need to notify anyone that runs the APRS servers that I will be injecting information onto their website? I'm still trying to learn about all these things, but there doesn't seem to be much information readily available on the internet, and after a lot of digging decided to just ask here. Thanks to anyone that can shed some light on this for me! - Ian, KI5IBL

Bob German

Lynn,

I noticed your recommendation for I-gate traffic routing to noam.aprs2.net.  Would you please advise the port number to be configured in APRSISCE.  Thank you.

Bob G
KG6PJG

Lynn Deffenbaugh

On most APRS-IS servers including the Tier2 rotate DNS names, 14580 is the filtered IGate port.

This is NOT true on firenet.us which should not be used for an IGate because it does not off any IGate-capable ports.

On 8/4/2020 1:12 PM, Bob German wrote:
Lynn,

I noticed your recommendation for I-gate traffic routing to noam.aprs2.net.  Would you please advise the port number to be configured in APRSISCE.  Thank you.

Bob G
KG6PJG

Bob German

Lynn,
Thanks for the info.  I had visited the noam.aprs2.net url looking for the port number but did not find any reference to APRS,   The website appears to be the host for some form of HTTP server product called NGINX.
Bob G
KG6PJG

Brian Webster

ALL aprs server respond to the standard port numbers. It’s part of the server software. You will want to connect to port 145980 and then send a message to “server” to set up your port filters. Some programs do this automatically when you connect to the server on port 14580. Part of the setup screen has a filter option you can input. For instance if you add the filter m/250, you will only get data from the stream that is 250 kilometers radius from your reported location. You probably don’t want the full aprs IS stream.

Here are some pages that describe the filters and syntax:

http://www.aprs-is.net/javAPRSFilter.aspx

http://www.cx2sa.org/texts/en-aprsfilters.html

http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/JAVaprsFilters.htm

Brian N2KGC

From: APRSISCE@groups.io [mailto:APRSISCE@groups.io] On Behalf Of Bob German
Sent: Wednesday, August 5, 2020 1:46 PM
To: APRSISCE@groups.io
Subject: Re: [APRSISCE] Igate setup

Lynn,

Thanks for the info.  I had visited the noam.aprs2.net url looking for the port number but did not find any reference to APRS,   The website appears to be the host for some form of HTTP server product called NGINX.

Bob G

KG6PJG

Alder Kail

Alright, I got everything set up and running. Using an object for weather reporting under the same SSID and same location, it seems to be working correctly? Hopefully. It gave me a warning when I set it up that way but I can't really see any malfunctions. So far the gate as uploaded some traffic (Including my own) And that's great! As far as setting the server to noam.aprs2.net I have no clue where to set this, I've searched through all the options and I just am unsure. Thanks for the very helpful comment though! I greatly appreciate it. 
Ian KI5IBL

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Strange website redirect on that DNS, but we don't use it for web access, but for port 14580.  Here's the site that actually lists the regional rotate DNS names that are available.  http://www.aprs2.net/

Regional Rotate Addresses

Please use one of the following addresses to connect:

• North America
    noam.aprs2.net
  • South America
    soam.aprs2.net
  • Europe & Africa
    euro.aprs2.net
  • Asia
    asia.aprs2.net
  • Oceania
    aunz.aprs2.net

All users should be connecting to port 14580 the client-defined filter port.

On 8/5/2020 1:46 PM, Bob German wrote:
Lynn,
Bob G
KG6PJG

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Configure / Ports / APRS-IS / Device.

On 8/5/2020 7:34 PM, Alder Kail wrote:
Alright, I got everything set up and running. Using an object for weather reporting under the same SSID and same location, it seems to be working correctly? Hopefully. It gave me a warning when I set it up that way but I can't really see any malfunctions. So far the gate as uploaded some traffic (Including my own) And that's great! As far as setting the server to noam.aprs2.net I have no clue where to set this, I've searched through all the options and I just am unsure. Thanks for the very helpful comment though! I greatly appreciate it. 
Ian KI5IBL