How to make a new PORT that listens to a soundcard?

KD7YZ Bob

GM

Is there a way I can configure APRSIS32 to hear a soundcard-listed device?
I have a couple of virtual audio cables, Line-1, that outputs from an RTL dongle, from 145.825.

I would like to have them report APRS/AX.25 Seats.
I have been wondering which of the antenna situations "might" be better, here.
Thus if APRSIS32 could get input, I might be able to tell which is working.

Right now I have APRSIS off a Kenwood D710 Port from the Data cable output.

Works.

that's the stacked loops. Now I want to check a couple others and need the ability to pipe soundcard decode from SDR-Console, into APRSIS32.

thanks in advance for help.

Bob KD7YZ EM88LL

--
KD7YZ Bob EM88LL

Jack L. Blake Sr (AI4LL)

Bob,
I have a kenwood D-710 and the data cable. Can you share how you have it hooked up?
Jack L. Blake

On Mon, Dec 23, 2019 at 8:06 AM KD7YZ Bob <kd7yz@...> wrote:
GM

Is there a way I can configure APRSIS32 to hear a soundcard-listed device?
I have a  couple of virtual audio cables, Line-1, that outputs from an RTL dongle, from 145.825.

I would like to have them report APRS/AX.25  Seats.
I have been wondering which of the antenna situations "might" be better, here.
Thus if APRSIS32 could get input, I might be able to tell which is working.

Right now I have APRSIS off a Kenwood D710 Port from the Data cable output.

Works.

that's the stacked loops. Now I want to check a couple others and need the ability to pipe soundcard decode from SDR-Console, into APRSIS32.

thanks in advance for help.

Bob KD7YZ EM88LL

--
KD7YZ Bob EM88LL

Lynn Deffenbaugh

APRSISCE/32 does not support soundcard decoding.  Look for DireWolf, UZ7HO's SoundModem, or SVG's AGWpe.  There are various ways to interface APRSISCE/32 to these soundcard decoders so you can see the received packets.

On 12/23/2019 8:06 AM, KD7YZ Bob wrote:
GM

Is there a way I can configure APRSIS32 to hear a soundcard-listed device?
I have a couple of virtual audio cables, Line-1, that outputs from an RTL dongle, from 145.825.

I would like to have them report APRS/AX.25 Seats.
I have been wondering which of the antenna situations "might" be better, here.
Thus if APRSIS32 could get input, I might be able to tell which is working.

Right now I have APRSIS off a Kenwood D710 Port from the Data cable output.

Works.

that's the stacked loops. Now I want to check a couple others and need the ability to pipe soundcard decode from SDR-Console, into APRSIS32.

thanks in advance for help.

Bob KD7YZ EM88LL

--
KD7YZ Bob EM88LL

Rob Giuliano

There are many ways, but all require a separate computer application acting as a TNC.
Any RTL application  to control the RTL dongle will allow the RTL to be the input, the Virtual Audio Cable (VAC) is the output from that, the VAC becomes the input to a TNC application application (see below), and the output is typically through a TCP port to APRSIS32 (either AGW or KISS over TCP).
The most TNC popular applications are:
     DireWolf
     AGW
     UZ7HO
     and a few satellite specific options.

NOTE: Orbitron seems to work well with RTL apps (frequency control) and satellite tracking.
            I used Oriobitron and the DDE to SDR option in HDSDR to control the frequency.
            CubicSD has rig control options, but I have not tried that setup.
Antenna wise, the best is a good "truly" omni direction antenna (like a 1/4 wave)

On Monday, December 23, 2019, 8:06:23 AM EST, KD7YZ Bob <kd7yz@...> wrote:

GM

Is there a way I can configure APRSIS32 to hear a soundcard-listed device?
I have a  couple of virtual audio cables, Line-1, that outputs from an RTL dongle, from 145.825.

I would like to have them report APRS/AX.25  Seats.
I have been wondering which of the antenna situations "might" be better, here.
Thus if APRSIS32 could get input, I might be able to tell which is working.

Right now I have APRSIS off a Kenwood D710 Port from the Data cable output.

Works.

that's the stacked loops. Now I want to check a couple others and need the ability to pipe soundcard decode from SDR-Console, into APRSIS32.

thanks in advance for help.

Bob KD7YZ EM88LL

--
KD7YZ Bob EM88LL

KD7YZ Bob

Season's greetings Lynn, Rob, Jack:

I am using AGWPE (Paid), called "Packet Engine Pro".
In AGWPE (PEP) I set up a single TNC from "SoundCard".
This Device is the Data-Port-Cable going from the D710 Data-port to the SignaLink soundcard device.
I find that the data Port, "however" I have the D710 configured, is actually reading Ch-B ...
I have a screenshot showing the Sound-Control-Panel and this device ...many green bars when I open the Squelch knob on the right-hand channel.

However, I see no way on this web interface to add a jpeg. And I think I already said I stopped email delivery due to many many missing posts after I ask a "Q" on this board via email. Now just the Web Interface.

So, AGWPE also is read by UISS. I wsee the Sat Traffic from the Ch-B side.

In APRSIS32, I setup an AGW Port to see TelNet --- localhost Port 8000" from AGWPE .... which I assume is exporting the Data-Cable (D710) data, which I know to be Ch-B st at 145.825.

Now to th heart of my question:

I use SDR-Console Version-3. Feeding in to that is one of my RTL's.
Output of that SDR-Console "Radio" is to Virtual-Audio-Cable Line-1 .... which is also listed in the Soundcard-App from Dev-Man.

But how would that AGWPE Port-2 get to APRSIS32?

"localhost" is already in use. It "IS" logical that AGWPE could Rx on Port One from Data-Port of D710 Ch-B on 145.825 and "whatever I set SDR-Console to would also at this time be 145.825 on a SPID rotator, would also be sending data through AGWPE TelNet on port 8000 ...

And ?

Since there is only ONE setting in AGWPE (PEP) where I can set a port (8000 in the default case, how do I pipe output from a second AGWPE port to APRSIS32?

Maybe run a UZ7HO standalone soundmodem into localhost port 7999 or 8001, or ?

would liked to have added some "settings" specific screenshots to this. However I am still an uneducated newbie and can't figure how to do it.

KD7YZ Bob EM88LL

Lynn Deffenbaugh

AGWpe supports multiple ports.  They all come over the single TCP/IP port connection to APRSISCE/32.  APRSISCE/32 will receive from all channels and display the receptions, but it can only transmit on the "first" (0) port configured in AGWpe.

So, if you ahve a single instance of AGWpe reading both your D710's audio direct as well as the SDR, you're already receiving packets decoded from both channels.

The "problem" is that, IIRC, you're trying to compare antenna performance.  APRSISCE/32 isn't doing to differentiate visibly which packet was received from which AGW-internal port, so you won't be able to tell which antenna/radio solution is working better.

When I run trials to compare TNCs and decoding abilities, I usually fire up a second copy of APRSIS32 and configure a dedicated port into that instance.  Then I can put the two windows side-by-side, configure the scroller to show RF-only, and just watch the packets come in as well as what accumulates on the map (View / RF / All).

To run a second copy of APRSIS32, simply copy the .EXE into a new directory and double-click it there.  You'll need to use a unique -SSID on this second instance and configure your new port from there.

I can't help you with getting 2 instances of AGWpe running though, but you'll want that as opposed to DireWolf to compare your antenna.  It is important to have as much the same as you can and that definitely applies to the actual audio decoder.

On Tue, Dec 24, 2019 at 09:03 AM, Lynn Deffenbaugh wrote:

So, if you ahve a single instance of AGWpe reading both your D710's
audio direct as well as the SDR, you're already receiving packets
decoded from both channels.
(?) by way of the "AGW" "Port" I'd configured in APRSIS/32 already?

The "problem" is that, IIRC, you're trying to compare antenna
performance.  APRSISCE/32 isn't doing to differentiate visibly which
packet was received from which AGW-internal port, so you won't be able
to tell which antenna/radio solution is working better.
Ah, i SEE. AGWPE captures an ISS packet off Port one , the Loop-Stack antennas feeding D710 Channel-B. However NOT rx'd simultaneously from the SDR ... feeds it TelNet'd to ur program ... I iGate it but have no clue if it came from Loops or small M2'd 2m/70cm yagi's on SPID ... albeit mounted MUCHO lower than the 50' high Loops on the ridgeline ....OK.

I will try the 2nd instance of ur pgm ... but I think I once was able to run UZ7HO soundmodem whilst running AGWPE and output to localhost & Port 8001 ... KENNO REMEMBER HOW i DID THAT, hi hi .

Will give ur initial idea of 2nd iteration of ur program ... after I go feed some livestock.

will report back later.

tnx help guys.

--
KD7YZ Bob EM88LL

Rob Giuliano

One option, which might not do everything you want, but will split the decodes into ports is to use AGWmonitor.  This is a kind of TCP sniffer for AGW information.
It will have a tab for each AGWpe port in use, and a tab of combined ports.

By jumping between the tabs for each device, you can see which has more decoded messages.  It also keeps an mheard list and see which has more data.

You MUST keep the port numbers on the far right unique for each port.  AGW tends to asume a dual port TNC and starts with KISS ports IDs of 0 (zero) and 16.  When you create the second port, you must change the ports.

Port1 and Port 2 would be on the first "Dual Port" AGW soundcard and use 0 and 16.
  If onlu a single port is designated, then use KISS port ID 0
Port3 and Port 4 would be on the second "Dual Port" AGW soundcard and use 8 and 9 (or something).
  If onlu a single port is designated, then use KISS port ID 8.

Otherwise you have 2 different TNCs reporting on the same KISS ID (0) on the same TCPIP port (8000).  Not sure of the impact, but I do know the software won't be able to tell which is which - if it even works properly.

Of course, as discussed, a second instance on a different TCPIP port will also solve this issue.

On Tue, Dec 24, 2019 at 11:06 AM, Rob Giuliano wrote:

You MUST keep the port numbers on the far right unique for each port.  AGW
tends to asume a dual port TNC and starts with KISS ports IDs of 0 (zero) and
16.  When you create the second port, you must change the ports.
Yikes!

So far, I only select Single-Port when dealing with the D710.

from any program.

--
KD7YZ Bob EM88LL

Rob Giuliano

Remember, that if you intend to TX from APRSISce/32 through the AGW port, it will on TX on the KISS PORT ID 0 (zero).

So the best method would be:
D710/Signalink/AGW combo would be KISS port 0 (zero)
   AGW Properties (from task bar)
      Port1 TNC Type:  SoundCard - SoundCard Selection: USB SignaLink
      TNC RadioPort:  APRS Ports Kiss Id: 0
RTL/SD app/AGW combo on a different KISS port
   AGW Properties (from task bar) second device
      Port1 TNC Type:  SoundCard - SoundCard Selection: Virtual Audio Cable
      TNC RadioPort:  Satellites Ports Kiss Id: 1 (or your choice)

NOTE: TNC Radio port is the AX.25 port name which AGW dfefault is 145.650Mhz 1200baud
    I like to keep these simple, one word descritpions.
    In the example above, I changed them to APRS and Sattellite

On Tuesday, December 24, 2019, 3:44:30 PM EST, KD7YZ Bob <kd7yz@...> wrote:

On Tue, Dec 24, 2019 at 11:06 AM, Rob Giuliano wrote:

> You MUST keep the port numbers on the far right unique for each port.  AGW
> tends to asume a dual port TNC and starts with KISS ports IDs of 0 (zero) and
> 16.  When you create the second port, you must change the ports.

Yikes!

So far, I only select Single-Port when dealing with the D710.

from any program.

--
KD7YZ Bob EM88LL

KD7YZ Bob

Been trying to get a handle on the suggestions from both you as well as Lynn ... for a few days and evenings now.

As far as needing or using AGW Monitor, as I see it, the paid version of Packet Engine Pro incorporates all that.
I see MHeard. And I see, on the far left column, Port ID 1 and 2 when I have only the D710 Data-Port output to SignaLink (is Port 2) and Port ID 1 is the other soundcard, RTL-->SDR-Console-->VAC-Line#1 .

So, if I understand Lynn's comment about:
"So, if you have a single instance of AGWpe reading both your D710's audio direct as well as the SDR, you're already receiving packets decoded from both channels."

Then I do NOT see how to create two different APRSIS/32 "AGW" type ports to allow me to see or read or (?) the packets from both "Packet Engine Pro" defined ports.

"Usually" I put the right-side D710 window (CH-B) on 145.825 and the Left CH-A on 144.390.

When I make an APRSIS/32 "Port" I make them in the style I "Think) Bob B wrote about ... or gee, maybe it was Lynn, .... make a KWD710-APRS and a KWD710(PKT) and enable one or the other for whatever I am doing.

I see no way in either Packet Engine Pro nor APRSIS/32 to re-designate KISS ports as Rob was describing.

Mainly that's what I have been try to do for a few days now ... before I opened my dumb moth to make the "Reply" here.

BTW, "Is" there a way to send small screen shots to a post to this BBS? Sometimes it is easier to attach the config window snapshot than try to describe it.

Anyway, I am not really trying to "compare" inputs as much as I am trying to collect them from two frequencies and 4 antennas ///// two SPID rotators and so forth.

By using "UISS" from ON6MU (Paid), which reads right off Packet-Engine-Pro, I am able to see the UI message "CQ" and thus a HI I am here AX.25 off,say, ISS ....UISS easily allows me to fire off a quick "I copy you" to "Mheard Call" "X" and thus make a fast QSO/Grid. I xmit thru UISS.

But I want the packets from the Sats to get into the system, so to speak ..IGated, if u will. Only the great APRSIS/32 can do such.
I guess if you can look at what ever traffic I manage to iGATE, then u will occasionally see I sent PSAT or ISS from Packet Engine Pro thru APRSIS/32 sometimes successfully.

I'll get a run of a few days where I get it all then later discover I have disconnected the PEP "Ports" from APRSIS/32 and have to reconstruct them all.

AGWPE (PEP) seems to like me to "Re-Start it every time I make a change.

KD7YZ Bob EM88LL

Rob Giuliano

Unfortunately, I don't use AGWpe Pro.  Most of my work has been with hardware TNCs and recently Direwolf.

Let me give an explanation a try:
"When I make an APRSIS/32 "Port" I make them in the style I "Think) Bob B wrote about ... or gee, maybe it was Lynn, .... make a KWD710-APRS and a KWD710(PKT) and enable one or the other for whatever I am doing."

This is the standard D710 port that works with the "INTERNAL" TNC which you are using on 144.39 and normal APRS traffic.

"So, if you have a single instance of AGWpe reading both your D710's audio direct as well as the SDR, you're already receiving packets decoded from both channels."

That is correct.  APRSIS32 will receive any packet decoded by AGW on the same APRSIS32 AGW stream over the configured port (typically 8000) .  With this configuration, you want the SignaLink on Port 1 (TX capable configuration) and the RTL -> SD-Console -> VAC-Line#1 should be connected to Port 2 (APRSIS32 cannot TX on this port, and the RTL has no TX capability.  Keep in mind that 2 ports configured on the same radio will cause 2 tranmits on that radio - if both have beaconing enabled.  You can disable this for any port in >Configure >Ports  >{port name}.

If this is your setup (again, I suggest swapping AGW radio port 1 and radio port 2). then you should be all set with monitoring APRS through the D710 on a normal D710 port, and stations on 145.825 through both radio ports of the AGW.  APRSIS32 can TX on 145.825 (AGW port 1: SignaLink) if that is enabled in the app.  I am not sure how you would tell which AGW port is decoding what in APRSIS32, but it sounds like you can see that in AGWpe Pro.

"By using "UISS" from ON6MU (Paid), which reads right off Packet-Engine-Pro, I am able to see the UI message "CQ" and thus a HI I am here AX.25 off,say, ISS ....UISS easily allows me to fire off a quick "I copy you" to  "Mheard Call" "X" and thus make a fast QSO/Grid. I xmit thru UISS."

This part I am unsure of, but if AGWpe Pro allow multiple connections to each "device", then connecting UISS to it "WITH" APRSIS32 should work (AGWpe Pro site seems to indicate port sharing).  But if not. you wioll have to disconnect one to use the other.  I don't think you need to make any AGWpe Pro changes between the 2 apps (UISS and APRSIS32).

On Mon, Dec 23, 2019 at 04:09 PM, Jack L. Blake Sr (AI4LL) wrote:

Bob,
I have a kenwood D-710 and the data cable. Can you share how you have it
hooked up?
Jack L. Blake
Has any of this answered your question?
If not, and to not bore the group with D710 specific chatter, you can email me directly.

Though you might gather from reading: it may perhaps be the blind leading the blind as I am quite new to the D710/packet/Aprsis/32

--
KD7YZ Bob EM88LL

KD7YZ Bob

.
"So, if you have a single instance of AGWpe reading both your D710's audio
direct as well as the SDR, you're already receiving packets decoded from both
channels."

I "Think" I may be learning.

looking at the Trace Log for the AGWPE-TelNet, I have
WinMain:2019-12-28T14:11:10.632 Starting Port(AGWPE-TELNET )
Port(AGWPE-TELNET ):2019-12-28T14:11:10.632 TcpReader Running on @localhost or localhost:8000 (0 OpenCmds, 0 CloseCmds)
Port(AGWPE-TELNET ):2019-12-28T14:11:10.633 localhost[0] = 127.0.0.1
Port(AGWPE-TELNET ):2019-12-28T14:11:10.633 Connecting(localhost[0/0]) or 127.0.0.1:8000
Port(AGWPE-TELNET ):2019-12-28T14:11:10.634 Connected(localhost)[0/0]=>127.0.0.1:8000
Port(AGWPE-TELNET ):2019-12-28T14:11:10.634 Connected(localhost)[0/0] via 127.0.0.1:58576 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Port(AGWPE-TELNET ):2019-12-28T14:11:10.634 Firing NewConnection
Port(AGWPE-TELNET ):2019-12-28T14:11:10.634 Back from NewConnection
Port(AGWPE-TELNET ):2019-12-28T14:11:10.648 AGW:Version 2017.105
WinMain:2019-12-28T14:15:20.804 Logging Enabled
About the 5th line down, there is the second port which covers my Port-2 in AGWPE, namely the RTL-SDR

thanks for the lesson!

--
KD7YZ Bob EM88LL

KD7YZ Bob

And here's the proof. so to speak:

Port(AGWPE-TELNET ):2019-12-28T15:36:33.512 Read 116 bytes after 5122726 msec (up from 14) vs 0 Quiet
Port(AGWPE-TELNET ):2019-12-28T15:36:33.513 AGW:AX.25-rPort[0] VE3FFB>CQ,RS0ISS*,RS0ISS,SGATE,WIDE2-1:=4416.01N/07629.00W-ve3ffr@bell.net

Ch-B of the D710 is set on 145.825
It is Port-1 on AGWPE ... the Signalink device to the Data port of the D710.

And then the APRSIS/32's iGate Trace-Log

WinMain:2019-12-28T15:36:33.513 RFtoIS:[AGWPE-TELNET ]IGated VE3FFB>CQ,RS0ISS*,RS0ISS,SGATE,WIDE2-1,qAR,KD7YZ-15:=4416.01N/07629.00W-ve3ffr@bell.net
WinMain:2019-12-28T16:25:09.137 RFtoIS:[KWD710(Pkt)]IGated NU3S-7>APK102,KF8YK-2,WIDE1,K8UI-1,CHLSEA,KC8SDN-5*,WIDE3,qAR,KD7YZ-15:=4022.75N/08004.80W_163/002g005t041r p P000h98b10264KU2k

--
KD7YZ Bob EM88LL

Lynn Deffenbaugh

I'm trying really hard not to comment on a WIDE1-1,WIDE3-3 path...

WinMain:2019-12-28T16:25:09.137 RFtoIS:[KWD710(Pkt)]IGated NU3S-7>APK102,KF8YK-2,WIDE1,K8UI-1,CHLSEA,KC8SDN-5*,WIDE3,qAR,KD7YZ-15:=4022.75N/08004.80W_163/002g005t041r p P000h98b10264KU2k
And it was completely used!

But I'm glad you're seeing the behavior you were wanting to accomplish.

On Sat, Dec 28, 2019 at 05:16 PM, Lynn Deffenbaugh wrote:

I'm trying really hard not to comment on a WIDE1-1,WIDE3-3 path...
WinMain:2019-12-28T15:36:33.513 RFtoIS:[AGWPE-TELNET ]IGated VE3FFB>CQ,RS0ISS*,RS0ISS,SGATE,WIDE2-1,qAR,KD7YZ-15:=4416.01N/07629.00W-ve3ffr@...
WinMain:2019-12-28T16:25:09.137 RFtoIS:[KWD710(Pkt)]IGated NU3S-7>APK102,KF8YK-2,WIDE1,K8UI-1,CHLSEA,KC8SDN-5*,WIDE3,qAR,KD7YZ-15:=4022.75N/08004.80W_163/002g005t041r p P000h98b10264KU2k
HERE'S MY CHANCE TO LEARN SOME MORE ABOUT PROPER APRS THEN ....

SNIPPET:

RFtoIS:[KWD710(Pkt)]IGated NU3S-7>APK102,KF8YK-2,WIDE1,K8UI-1,CHLSEA,KC8SDN-5*,WIDE3,qAR,KD7YZ- (location data)

was that NU3S-7 who made up the entire path ??? which includes WIDE3 ??

I "think" " qAR" KD7YZ has to do with who went RF to Internet Service .. dunno the meaning of qAR though.

I've never seen WIDE3 before. And the NU3S-7>APK102 ... does that mean the originating station went Program/Internet-service first ... to get the APK102 generated?

And the inference of the WIDE3 as opposed to a IDE2-1 ?

thanks for the class.

--
KD7YZ Bob EM88LL

Lynn Deffenbaugh

On 12/31/2019 8:10 AM, KD7YZ Bob wrote:
On Sat, Dec 28, 2019 at 05:16 PM, Lynn Deffenbaugh wrote:

I'm trying really hard not to comment on a WIDE1-1,WIDE3-3 path...
WinMain:2019-12-28T15:36:33.513 RFtoIS:[AGWPE-TELNET ]IGated VE3FFB>CQ,RS0ISS*,RS0ISS,SGATE,WIDE2-1,qAR,KD7YZ-15:=4416.01N/07629.00W-ve3ffr@...
WinMain:2019-12-28T16:25:09.137 RFtoIS:[KWD710(Pkt)]IGated NU3S-7>APK102,KF8YK-2,WIDE1,K8UI-1,CHLSEA,KC8SDN-5*,WIDE3,qAR,KD7YZ-15:=4022.75N/08004.80W_163/002g005t041r p P000h98b10264KU2k
HERE'S MY CHANCE TO LEARN SOME MORE ABOUT PROPER APRS THEN ....

SNIPPET:

RFtoIS:[KWD710(Pkt)]IGated NU3S-7>APK102,KF8YK-2,WIDE1,K8UI-1,CHLSEA,KC8SDN-5*,WIDE3,qAR,KD7YZ-15 (location data)

was that NU3S-7 who made up the entire path ??? which includes WIDE3 ??
Yes, the packet originator comes first before the >

I "think" " qAR" KD7YZ-15 has to do with who went RF to Internet Service .. dunno the meaning of qAR though.
Yes, the callsign after the q-construct (qAR in this case) is usually, but not always, the IGate.  You can read more about q Constructs at:

http://www.aprs-is.net/q.aspx

I've never seen WIDE3 before. And the NU3S-7>APK102 ... does that mean the originating station went Program/Internet-service first ... to get the APK102 generated?
No, the >APK102 is the ToCall and identifies the source station as a Kenwood D710.  You can find the documented ToCalls at:

http://aprs.org/aprs11/tocalls.txt

And the inference of the WIDE3 as opposed to a IDE2-1 ?
Here's a deconstruction of the path from that packet:

,KF8YK-2,WIDE1,K8UI-1,CHLSEA,KC8SDN-5*,WIDE3,
KF8YK-2 is a digipeater that first copied the packet.  It appears to have reacted to an original WIDE1-1 path request from the originating station.

K8UI-1 copied that digipeated packet, presumably reacting to a WIDE3-3 component from the originating station.

CHLSEA copied that packet and likely saw a WIDE3-2 unused path component as K8UI-1 would have decremented it.

KC8SDN-5 heard CHLSEA and saw an unused WIDE3-1 which it then reacted to triggering the FIFTH time this packet was put on RF. KC8SDN-5 should have marked the WIDE3 as used (*), but that doesn't show in the packet from above.

Finally KD7YZ-15 (your station) copied the packet from KC8SDN-5 and gated it to the APRS-IS with the qAR code.

thanks for the class.
Any time.  There's a lot to know, and a lot of differences in what you'll see inside packets.

KD7YZ Bob

Thanks for the great links. I bookmark’d them both
--
KD7YZ Bob EM88LL